LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Question for you all: I'm classified as independent for tax purposes (unable to be claimed as dependent by parents because I made 'too much' at my full-time summer job last year) but LSAC has me as "dependent." How can I fix this? Recent grad and I'm not making a lot of money (and really didn't make that much last year, as reported on my tax forms), my own apartment + other bills and real live grown up expenses. Thanks in advance, TLSers.

User avatar
smus
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 am

Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

smus wrote:Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.


No cloo what my UG classified me as for aid purposes. I haven't been a dependent for two years though.

User avatar
smus
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Youppi! wrote:
smus wrote:Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.


No cloo what my UG classified me as for aid purposes. I haven't been a dependent for two years though.


Did you have to fill in your parent's info on FAFSA?

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 pm

smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:
smus wrote:Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.


No cloo what my UG classified me as for aid purposes. I haven't been a dependent for two years though.


Did you have to fill in your parent's info on FAFSA?


Its been over a year and half so I don't remember. FWIW, I haven't been claimed on my parents' taxes for two years and I just graduated college in May.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 pm

If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.


Damn. And I imagine it's nearly impossible to be a qualifying dependent. Is this right?

User avatar
smus
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Youppi! wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.


Damn. And I imagine it's nearly impossible to be a qualifying dependent. Is this right?


Correct.
Honestly this is why I'm waiting to retake. (when that question changes to 1991, I'll qualify) I know this only takes care of part of the expense but its not that hard to get merit waivers, especially if you can ask at Law Fairs/Forums.

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 pm

smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.


Damn. And I imagine it's nearly impossible to be a qualifying dependent. Is this right?


Correct.
Honestly this is why I'm waiting to retake. (when that question changes to 1991, I'll qualify) I know this only takes care of part of the expense but its not that hard to get merit waivers, especially if you can ask at Law Fairs/Forums.


You mean waivers from law schools?

User avatar
smus
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Youppi! wrote:
smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.


Damn. And I imagine it's nearly impossible to be a qualifying dependent. Is this right?


Correct.
Honestly this is why I'm waiting to retake. (when that question changes to 1991, I'll qualify) I know this only takes care of part of the expense but its not that hard to get merit waivers, especially if you can ask at Law Fairs/Forums.


You mean waivers from law schools?


Yes, then yr at 20$/app with just the LSAC fee.

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 pm

^^
Yeah, considering schools were offering me waivers this past winter - before I'd even sat for a test - I'm not too worried about getting a few places to let me apply for free (+ the LSAC fee, ungh).

User avatar
smus
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Youppi! wrote:^^
Yeah, considering schools were offering me waivers this past winter - before I'd even sat for a test - I'm not too worried about getting a few places to let me apply for free (+ the LSAC fee, ungh).



Yeah, apps are down everywhere, but T2 and down will throw those hooks at anyone. Asking politely (with an LSAC GPA and LSAT on file, preferably) should yield a few more.

Youppi!
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 am

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 pm

smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:^^
Yeah, considering schools were offering me waivers this past winter - before I'd even sat for a test - I'm not too worried about getting a few places to let me apply for free (+ the LSAC fee, ungh).



Yeah, apps are down everywhere, but T2 and down will throw those hooks at anyone. Asking politely (with an LSAC GPA and LSAT on file, preferably) should yield a few more.


A couple were t25(!).

User avatar
arkgawilson
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 am

Youppi! wrote:Question for you all: I'm classified as independent for tax purposes (unable to be claimed as dependent by parents because I made 'too much' at my full-time summer job last year) but LSAC has me as "dependent." How can I fix this? Recent grad and I'm not making a lot of money (and really didn't make that much last year, as reported on my tax forms), my own apartment + other bills and real live grown up expenses. Thanks in advance, TLSers.


I went through a similar situation to you. My drama was being raised by my aunt (guardian) rather than my mom or dad, and always being classified in school as independent and filing my taxes as such because I worked full time and supported myself at 18. I appealed and provided documentation (court paperwork saying how horrible my biological parents were, how my aunt raised me, how I was emancipated from her at the age of 18, etc) and they finally gave it to me. I know how confusing it is and it is definitely an arduous process.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, jagerbom79, Lahtso Nuggin, StopLawying, thrivinNstrivin and 8 guests