LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Youppi!

LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby Youppi! » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:47 pm

Question for you all: I'm classified as independent for tax purposes (unable to be claimed as dependent by parents because I made 'too much' at my full-time summer job last year) but LSAC has me as "dependent." How can I fix this? Recent grad and I'm not making a lot of money (and really didn't make that much last year, as reported on my tax forms), my own apartment + other bills and real live grown up expenses. Thanks in advance, TLSers.

smus

Re: LSAT Fee Waiver Question

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 am

Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

smus wrote:Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.

No cloo what my UG classified me as for aid purposes. I haven't been a dependent for two years though.

smus

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Youppi! wrote:
smus wrote:Either wait til your 24 or write an appeal. But unless your under grad assigned you as an independent student for those t reasons they won't be convinced.

No cloo what my UG classified me as for aid purposes. I haven't been a dependent for two years though.

Did you have to fill in your parent's info on FAFSA?

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:04 pm

smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:

Did you have to fill in your parent's info on FAFSA?

Its been over a year and half so I don't remember. FWIW, I haven't been claimed on my parents' taxes for two years and I just graduated college in May.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 pm

If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

If you can't answer yes to any of those you are going to have an uphill battle convincing them otherwise, but appeal is the best way to go about it.

Damn. And I imagine it's nearly impossible to be a qualifying dependent. Is this right?

smus

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Youppi! wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:If you look at the form it says if you answer question 16-20 all no (born before 1990, married and a few other items) you are considered a dependant even if you are considered an independent for other government agencies.

Damn. And I imagine it's nearly impossible to be a qualifying dependent. Is this right?

Correct.
Honestly this is why I'm waiting to retake. (when that question changes to 1991, I'll qualify) I know this only takes care of part of the expense but its not that hard to get merit waivers, especially if you can ask at Law Fairs/Forums.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:31 pm

smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:

Correct.
Honestly this is why I'm waiting to retake. (when that question changes to 1991, I'll qualify) I know this only takes care of part of the expense but its not that hard to get merit waivers, especially if you can ask at Law Fairs/Forums.

You mean waivers from law schools?

smus

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Youppi! wrote:
smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:

Correct.

You mean waivers from law schools?

Yes, then yr at 20$/app with just the LSAC fee.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 pm

^^
Yeah, considering schools were offering me waivers this past winter - before I'd even sat for a test - I'm not too worried about getting a few places to let me apply for free (+ the LSAC fee, ungh).

smus

Postby smus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Youppi! wrote:^^
Yeah, considering schools were offering me waivers this past winter - before I'd even sat for a test - I'm not too worried about getting a few places to let me apply for free (+ the LSAC fee, ungh).

Yeah, apps are down everywhere, but T2 and down will throw those hooks at anyone. Asking politely (with an LSAC GPA and LSAT on file, preferably) should yield a few more.

Youppi!

Postby Youppi! » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 pm

smus wrote:
Youppi! wrote:^^

Yeah, apps are down everywhere, but T2 and down will throw those hooks at anyone. Asking politely (with an LSAC GPA and LSAT on file, preferably) should yield a few more.

A couple were t25(!).

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 am

Youppi! wrote:Question for you all: I'm classified as independent for tax purposes (unable to be claimed as dependent by parents because I made 'too much' at my full-time summer job last year) but LSAC has me as "dependent." How can I fix this? Recent grad and I'm not making a lot of money (and really didn't make that much last year, as reported on my tax forms), my own apartment + other bills and real live grown up expenses. Thanks in advance, TLSers.

I went through a similar situation to you. My drama was being raised by my aunt (guardian) rather than my mom or dad, and always being classified in school as independent and filing my taxes as such because I worked full time and supported myself at 18. I appealed and provided documentation (court paperwork saying how horrible my biological parents were, how my aunt raised me, how I was emancipated from her at the age of 18, etc) and they finally gave it to me. I know how confusing it is and it is definitely an arduous process.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”