PT 52, Sec 3, #2

vuthy

PT 52, Sec 3, #2

Postby vuthy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I got a #2 LR question wrong, especially since it's a main point question. But even in reviewing it, I'm surprised by the answer. After reading Manhattan and drilling MP questions, I was under the impression that the right choice for these is generally straightforward paraphrase. In this one, the right answer (D) looks to me to be more of an inference, whereas B is what I normally associate with a main point question (especially an easy one).

Can someone flesh this out for me a bit? Am I nuts for thinking B was an obvious right answer?

CardozoLaw09

Re: PT 52, Sec 3, #2

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:55 pm

A couple of issues with the wording in answer choice B): 1) "Most" and 2) "Destined"

We know that "many" consumers are excited about the product but we don't know that "most" are; also, we know that they are "likely" to be disappointed but not "destined." The term and quantifier shifts in B are what makes B incorrect.

D is not really an inference since we can reasonably take the premise supporting the conclusion to imply that weight loss goals are not likely to be met.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:59 pm

I think the word "nutritious" is what tripped you up. Read B again. Then read the stimulus again. On questions like this mark each sentence P for Premise and C for conclusion. Then if your struggling between subsidiary conclusion and main conclusion (this questions doesn't have that structure I'm just speaking in general) do the therefore test to determine which conclusion supports which. In this question the issue is not which is more "nutritious" its that consumers who think its going to help them lose weight that are going to be disappointed which is precisely what D says -- those weight loss goals you were hoping for welp turns out people who eat fake fat end up eating at least as many calories as are saved by this "fake fat" and as such are not going to meet their weight loss goals. Hope this helps!

vuthy

Postby vuthy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks. I generally don't have a problem identifying the conclusion, and I did identify it correctly here. I guess what surprised me is that I don't recall ever seeing an easy/early main conclusion question where a closely paraphrased (albeit imperfect) choice was wrong, while the right answer was one that borrowed almost no language from the stim. It's almost like B was a trap answer, which I just don't expect to see on early main conclusion questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”