lalalany

Postby lalalany » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

Last edited by lalalany on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nooblarzlarz

Re: Avoiding fluke bad scores on LG

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:28 pm

It sounds like timing is one of the primary issues at hand. For any PT you're doing, you MUST be diligent about not giving yourself any extra leeway at the end. Use a timer & a watch. Timer will tell you when you're done with the section and the watch will let you check your timing while going through the games. When the timer goes off, pencil down. If you don't put your pencil down, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Now when doing LG sections, the first 2 games TEND to be the easiest, so I would focus on getting both of those knocked out in 15 minutes. That gives you 10 minutes each for the 2 most likely hardest games. Now if the first game is a linear game with only 5 questions, you gotta be sure you're blowing through it quick, whereas if one of the games is 8 questions long with several variable sets, it's most likely going to take you longer.

So once you know the number of questions and have an idea about a game's difficulty, you should have a rough estimate about how long it's going to take. For example, if I'm doing a section and the first game is a linear game with 5 questions and the next game is simple in-out grouping and 6 questions long, I'm banking on getting those games done within 10-13 minutes because the next 2 games are probably going to be harder with more questions so having 22-25 minutes is gonna feel more comfortable (and keep me from stressing) than 20 minutes.

As for drilling, there's 2 things you're building on here: accuracy and timing. Generally, I'm going to try to get through level 1 games in 7 minutes, 2 in 8 minutes, 3&4 in 10 minutes. You can time these individually or in sets (4 level 1 games, 28 minutes and so on...). If you're getting everything right, under time, you're good. If you're getting things wrong under time, you gotta figure out what made you come to a wrong answer (i.e. how they tricked you) and move on to the next question. If you're getting everything right but going over time, then you must figure out what took you so long (setup, inferences, eliminating answers). If you're going over time and getting things wrong, then you need to rework the game without timed constraints and compare it with what you did.

It needs to get to the point where doing a setup is a mechanical exercise. Not just putting the rules down and diagramming, but finding inferences, blocks, conditional chains, dual setup templates and so on. The less thought you have to put into that, the less your nerves will be a factor.

lalalany

Postby lalalany » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. Seems like the most important thing I could do at this point is, for each game that it takes too long to do, really analyze where I'm misusing time.

magickware

Postby magickware » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:46 pm

lalalany wrote:...usually due to spending too much time on a game and not finishing in time,

There has to be a specific reason for why you're spending too much time on a particular game. Figure out what type of game it is, and where you're spending a lot of time on. Are you spending too much time making your diagram? On inferences? On brute forcing questions? Etc.

lalalany wrote: misreading a rule or multiple rules, or a combination thereof.

I do the same thing. It is my bane on the LG right now; it prevents me from getting an absolute consistent -0.

I just decided that I'm going to look back at the rules every time I reach a question that gives me even the slightest bit of pause. Time consuming, but better finishing at game at 8:45 rather than within 6 minutes and getting 1 wrong because I forgot a rule.

Aasterinian

Postby Aasterinian » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

lalalany wrote: misreading a rule or multiple rules, or a combination thereof.

Are you diagramming every rule next to your main set-up before you start? Doing this helped my consistency a ton, and it's much faster to double-check your work against your diagram (when the diagram is next to your main set-up) than it is to check it against the text of the rules.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 am

Velocity lsat.

jcccc

Postby jcccc » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00 am

Just pray to the LSAT gods we don't get a damn circle game this october. It's been a while, law of averages dictates so.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:05 am

jcccc wrote:Just pray to the LSAT gods we don't get a damn circle game this october. It's been a while, law of averages dictates so.

I promise you will not see a circular sequencing game.

mojangles

Postby mojangles » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:07 am

This is what I tell everyone looking for advice on LG: lsatblog. Find out what types of games you struggle with, lsatblog has a listing of what games on what PTs are those game types. Work through the games, watch the videos, and try to really understand where it is that you may have gone astray. If you do use the lsatblog site, I hope it helps you as much as it helped me - if not, I hope you find something else that works for you. In any case, best of luck

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:16 am

jcccc wrote:Just pray to the LSAT gods we don't get a damn circle game this october. It's been a while, law of averages dictates so.

Fortunately, that's not how statistics work. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”