Dual Degree (JD/PhD) or (JD/MBA) students and studying

arkgawilson

Dual Degree (JD/PhD) or (JD/MBA) students and studying

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 am

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat, where they will be taking the LSAT and some other test, such as the GMAT or GRE. If so, how do you feel the best way to study appropriately for both is? I'd love to chat or start a thread about this topic.

alexrodriguez

Re: Dual Degree (JD/PhD) or (JD/MBA) students and studying

Postby alexrodriguez » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:44 am

Why do you want a dual degree?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 am

I did take the gre back in March, and took the lsat in June.

For the GRE part, you need to get a vocabulary book ( 1100 words you need to know & Barron Essential words for the GRE are solid) since GRE tests your ability to recognize words.

If you have a solid foundation on Math, I'll suggest you do couple questions each day. Go to amazon and get some materials, like Kaplan and Princeton review.

For RC passage, lsat kills all. After you have drilled with LSAT, GRE passage is just a joke.

Last tip, read dense, read as many academic articles as possible ( aldaily, new yorker, the browser are all great read)

Good luck! :)

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 am

louierodriguez wrote:Why do you want a dual degree?

I have interests in the middle land of health service clinical psychology and law. It's really a long story so I don't want to bore you with it, but PM me if you are curious. There are actually dual degrees that compliment one another well.
Last edited by arkgawilson on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 am

Thanks. What is your other field of study?

crazyrobin wrote:I did take the gre back in March, and took the lsat in June.

For the GRE part, you need to get a vocabulary book ( 1100 words you need to know & Barron Essential words for the GRE are solid) since GRE tests your ability to recognize words.

If you have a solid foundation on Math, I'll suggest you do couple questions each day. Go to amazon and get some materials, like Kaplan and Princeton review.

For RC passage, lsat kills all. After you have drilled with LSAT, GRE passage is just a joke.

Last tip, read dense, read as many academic articles as possible ( aldaily, new yorker, the browser are all great read)

Good luck! :)

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:59 am

arkgawilson wrote:Thanks. What is your other field of study?

Ph.D in education, MBA is also on my list.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 am

crazyrobin wrote:
arkgawilson wrote:Thanks. What is your other field of study?

Ph.D in education, MBA is also on my list.

Dang. So you are looking at both the GRE and GMAT potentially?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:28 am

I've taken the GRE, GMAT, and LSAT (among others). I post various things about the GMAT from time to time that you can probably find around. Basically, the GMAT is LSAT-style questions plus grammar plus math. The math is not advanced but can be tricky, so it takes practice. The GRE is a vocabulary test paired with a basic math test. The vocab is pretty off the charts, so you probably have to study vocab lists. The math is probably not that bad if you're good at math, but you'll want to do some practice there, too.

Both have (a lot) fewer released questions than the LSAT does, so you'll need to get not only the official books but also some others. But do the LSAT first. It'll require a lot more study than either the GRE or the GMAT.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:19 am

arkgawilson wrote:Dang. So you are looking at both the GRE and GMAT potentially?

Nah, now almost all the business schools take the GRE score.

tomwatts wrote:I've taken the GRE, GMAT, and LSAT (among others). I post various things about the GMAT from time to time that you can probably find around. Basically, the GMAT is LSAT-style questions plus grammar plus math. The math is not advanced but can be tricky, so it takes practice. The GRE is a vocabulary test paired with a basic math test. The vocab is pretty off the charts, so you probably have to study vocab lists. The math is probably not that bad if you're good at math, but you'll want to do some practice there, too.

Both have (a lot) fewer released questions than the LSAT does, so you'll need to get not only the official books but also some others. But do the LSAT first. It'll require a lot more study than either the GRE or the GMAT.

And this.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:05 am

tomwatts wrote:The GRE is a vocabulary test paired with a basic math test.

I thought that they changed the GRE ~2 years ago to include a logical reasoning section, similar to the LR section of the LSAT?

I took the GRE in November 2009 after taking the LSAT in September 2009. The GRE felt like a cake-walk in comparison . . . taking a computerized test after taking the LSAT is like walking in Air Jordans after walking across the desert barefoot.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 am

I took the LSAT for the first time in December 2012 and then took the GMAT in March 2013. I was already prepared for the GMAT from the first day of studying since I'm really good at math and LSAT studying prepared me well for the RC and LR questions on Verbal. This left me with just the Sentence Correction questions, which I really struggled with. I bought the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction book and the GMAC handbooks, but I agree with an earlier post that says that there are not nearly as many good practice problems for the GMAT. I then retook the LSAT in June and have a third try set up for October.

Score-wise, I went 169 LSAT1, 780 GMAT, 170 LSAT2. On the GMAT, I scored a 45 on verbal which is the beginning of 99th percentile. This probably translates to about a 169-170 on the LSAT since so many GMAT takers are from overseas and don't speak English as a native language whereas the vast majority of LSAT takers speak English as a primary language.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:17 am

goldbh7 wrote:I took the LSAT for the first time in December 2012 and then took the GMAT in March 2013. I was already prepared for the GMAT from the first day of studying since I'm really good at math and LSAT studying prepared me well for the RC and LR questions on Verbal. This left me with just the Sentence Correction questions, which I really struggled with. I bought the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction book and the GMAC handbooks, but I agree with an earlier post that says that there are not nearly as many good practice problems for the GMAT. I then retook the LSAT in June and have a third try set up for October.

Score-wise, I went 169 LSAT1, 780 GMAT, 170 LSAT2. On the GMAT, I scored a 45 on verbal which is the beginning of 99th percentile. This probably translates to about a 169-170 on the LSAT since so many GMAT takers are from overseas and don't speak English as a native language whereas the vast majority of LSAT takers speak English as a primary language.

Thanks for sharing. I feel it's pretty common, though it is often torn down on TLS.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 am

arkgawilson wrote:
goldbh7 wrote:I took the LSAT for the first time in December 2012 and then took the GMAT in March 2013. I was already prepared for the GMAT from the first day of studying since I'm really good at math and LSAT studying prepared me well for the RC and LR questions on Verbal. This left me with just the Sentence Correction questions, which I really struggled with. I bought the Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction book and the GMAC handbooks, but I agree with an earlier post that says that there are not nearly as many good practice problems for the GMAT. I then retook the LSAT in June and have a third try set up for October.

Thanks for sharing. I feel it's pretty common, though it is often torn down on TLS.

Are you referring to the frequency of joint degrees? Harvard claims that about 100 of their MBA students are in some sort of Joint Degree Program, so it's definitely not uncommon. Many people also take multiple standardized tests and then choose only one degree program.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”