do you guys study for a set amt. of time, or set amt. of q's

flash21

do you guys study for a set amt. of time, or set amt. of q's

Postby flash21 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm

What I mean is, do you say "im going to do LG's for 2 hours", and just work at them for 2 hours? Or do you say, today I am going to do 6 sets of logic games?

Or, I am going to do LR today for an hour. Opposed to, I will do 20 weaken questions, 20 strengthen and 10 flaw.

Jeffort

Re: do you guys study for a set amt. of time, or set amt. of q's

Postby Jeffort » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Whatever one plans out to do during each study session, whether it be a particular number of questions or games, a set of a particular type, mixed sets/sections, a full practice test, etc., the content of each session should be guided by a decently structured overall study plan that fits your schedule of available time and that you also adapt as you progress based on performance and how quickly you master certain things.

There isn't any 'one size fits all' formula. What would be the best things to do per study session depends on where in the prep process you are. For instance, early in prep you shouldn't just be churning through timed sections. Instead, you should be studying question types one at a time, working through a bunch of the type slowly to get the fundamentals down before worrying about timing, then moving onto another type, etc. Later in prep once you have covered all LR types you then dedicate some study sessions to full section LR drilling/practice to get used section format and time constraints before moving into doing full timed tests. These are just a few examples of different types of things to do in different phases of prep.

Whether deciding to spend 2hrs on LR in general, to drill a particular LR question type, to review grouping games, or to whatever, the planned task should make productive sense for where you are in the prep process at that time. For example, if you take a practice test and bomb the games section, the next thing you should spend study time on is thoroughly reviewing that section to identify all the different things you had trouble with, did incorrectly/messed up, weren't clear about, etc. and then doing more practice and review that addresses those areas so that you can improve your skills with them. Meaning overall that your day to day study plans should be flexible to adapt to your progress, current strengths and weaknesses, etc.

You shouldn't be deciding between how many questions to work that will count as a study session vs. deciding how long to study for a given session in the way you posed the question.

You should determine how much time you have available to dedicate to studying on each given day, THEN decide how to use that time effectively, such as maybe deciding to work and then review a set amount of a given question type and maybe something else too if you have more study time left. Whatever you decide to do each day, quality of study time is much better than volume of materials you work through. Using a two hour session to work one LR section in full (timed or untimed) and then carefully reviewing the whole thing in slow motion after the first run would be a better use of the time than doing two or three timed LR sections, correcting them, quickly spot checking the ones you got wrong and then calling it a day.

Working more questions per study session does not mean you are studying better or will get better faster. Higher volume of questions worked =/= higher quality/more productive study session.

Also, whatever you plan to do during a study session, it's a good idea to actually do it. This means that if you plan to study games for at least two hours on a given day, absent an emergency or some important life thing popping up, you do actually spend at least two non-distracted/interrupted hours dedicated to working on games in some way. This sounds like the duh obvious part, but in reality it is the part students fail at more than anything else, so make sure to get away from computers, TVs, friends, family, turn off the phone (FB, twitter and TLS friends can wait till later for you to respond!) and go somewhere without tempting distractions like the library to study so you use the time productively.

RobertGolddust

Re: do you guys study for a set amt. of time, or set amt. of q's

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I set aside a specific number of questions, for instance 8 games and 40 LR strengthen/weaken, 6 RC passages, and I usually finish if I understand the material. If I stumble on any questions ill put them aside and either go over them at the end of the day or first thing in the morning the next day. If there is something I'm really having trouble with, like difficult sufficient assumption questions, then I might devote a whole day to it. This entails rigorous study with the bibles and a couple other books and sometimes I'll seek help from my friend who knows the LSAT really well.

Then I take advantage of having no job and I read some Shakespeare or watch the Big Bang theory. Sheldon cooper motivates me to strive for the higher realm of the superman, so does Brutus.

P.S. I time myself with all the questions but when I started I didn't run the timer. My standard regiment usually takes 3 to 4 hours but I've had days where I spent 2 hours (obviously did not finish) and days where I spent 10.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”