LG wording problem

elg

LG wording problem

Postby elg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi all,

ive been having an issue with the wording of certain LG questions. For example, "Which one of the following could be an accurate and complete list of the student who review only S. The answer is L, even though J is also possible, however just J is not answer choice. Where my problem arises is that there was an answer choice J,L, which is what I chose. This answer was wrong because they cant both do it at the same time. Therefore, my confusion lies in when the question is asking for a list of entities in a single scenario and when they are asking for all possible scenarios. My thinking in this questions was that they were asking for all possible scenarios, however, they were only looking at one particular scenario. Also, what would a question asking for all possible scenarios sound like?

Thanks,

Eddie

elg

Re: LG wording problem

Postby elg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 pm

My first thought is that it has to do with the placement of the word "could" ?

elg

Postby elg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm

and for clarification, the above answer was just L

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Could we have a PT#, etc of the question you're talking about?

Because random letters don't help when there is probably a clear reason for each question.

In general, it depends on the question and the game.

elg

Postby elg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Sure, pt42 #19 is the questions i was talking about

elg

Postby elg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:02 pm

I think I understand when they are asking for one scenario so I guess my question is how would a question be worded that was looking for all possible.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Which one of the following (could be an accurate and complete list) of the student who review only S?
This is asking for a list that would work with the rules and conditions set forth. L might work alone. J might work alone. But you wouldn't choose the answer that has L and J. and there shouldn't be two different answers of just L and just J.
We're being asked to identify the one list that would completely meet the condition.

vs

Which one of the following is an accurate and complete list of the students who could review only S?
This is asking for the list of all of the potential students who could work with the rules and conditions set forth.
We're being asked to list out all of the different students who could potentially meet the condition.

Pay attention to where the word "could" goes and then you'll realize that the former was looking for a list that works with the condition, and that the latter was looking for a list of all of the different things that could work with the condition.

elg

Postby elg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

great, thanks for the help

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”