Experimental Section during PTs?

Darmody

Experimental Section during PTs?

Postby Darmody » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:56 am

Do you guys implement an 'experimental' section during PTs? If so, how do you do it? Do you just do an additional random section?

Since there will be 5 sections on test day, I thought it would it be smart to start practicing with the actual duration of the test since it might have an effect on focus or accuracy. Thoughts?

Clearly

Re: Experimental Section during PTs?

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 am

You absolutely must include an experimental section. Adhere strictly to the break timing and everything. Closer to the test consider adding an additional experimental so the test is six sections, to build endurance.

Darmody

Postby Darmody » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 am

So if I'm taking a PT, where do I get an experimental section? Do I just use a random section from another PT and randomly choose LR, LG or RC each day?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 am

pick a few PTs to hack into experimentals. 4 sections a test= 4 tests worth of experimentals. Also, its important to mix up where the experimental section is (never last) and what it is. I usually just picked a section, and threw it third as an experimental. Was shocked when my admin had an experimental RC, followed by the real RC to open the test. Never prepped starting with RC-RC.

iditarod

Postby iditarod » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:26 pm

I'd use one of every 5 PTs as an experimental and then grade that too. That way if you do four PTs in a two week span, you'll have actually done 5 and have more motivation to go 100% on the experimental.

That said, if you're still in early stages, where you might improve significantly over 2 weeks then I'd probably just use sections from early PTs.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 pm

iditarod wrote:I'd use one of every 5 PTs as an experimental and then grade that too. That way if you do four PTs in a two week span, you'll have actually done 5 and have more motivation to go 100% on the experimental.

That said, if you're still in early stages, where you might improve significantly over 2 weeks then I'd probably just use sections from early PTs.

TITCR

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 pm

If you cbf to make the 5-section PTs yourself here you go: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/preptests/5-section/

Postby 92653 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 pm

I have the attention span of a sandwich, so I rarely included experimental sections, took inordinate breaks between sections, etc. However, that said, you have to do it at least once, and you have to practice sitting still and taking the whole test. (I guess this is a given, but still.)
I guess you can hack tests to add an experimental, but then you'd know which one it was, no? I know some test prep books (at least that come with courses) just have five because they throw in an experimental for you.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 am

Especially if you feel that you need to increase your mental discipline, i think you absolutely must add the experimental section in. The more you get used to longer and focused study sessions, the more your are practiced for the test. An entire 35 minutes less in concentration is probably going to affect you on test day.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You absolutely must include an experimental section. Adhere strictly to the break timing and everything. Closer to the test consider adding an additional experimental so the test is six sections, to build endurance.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”