Question RE: RC Inference questions

Nooblarzlarz

Question RE: RC Inference questions

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Just came across a situation involving an inference question in RC and would like some input on this. So it's from PT34-S1-P3 question #18. Basically, it asks which can be inferred about bacteria and the correct "inference" is stated in other words directly in the passage with no logical leaps or anything needed.

Now, I paused on that question for a while because when I came across that answer, I knew it was stated in the passage so figured it couldn't be a correct answer to an inference question because you can't infer something that is stated explicitly, correct?

tl;dr: Is it very common for inferences question answers to just be reworded text?

bp shinners

Re: Question RE: RC Inference questions

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:Just came across a situation involving an inference question in RC and would like some input on this. So it's from PT34-S1-P3 question #18. Basically, it asks which can be inferred about bacteria and the correct "inference" is stated in other words directly in the passage with no logical leaps or anything needed.

Now, I paused on that question for a while because when I came across that answer, I knew it was stated in the passage so figured it couldn't be a correct answer to an inference question because you can't infer something that is stated explicitly, correct?

tl;dr: Is it very common for inferences question answers to just be reworded text?

Yep. Pick that answer, as it will always be correct.

Be wary, however, because they will often repeat a sentence but change one little thing in a "sucker choice" answer.

Archangel

Re: Question RE: RC Inference questions

Postby Archangel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:52 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Nooblarzlarz wrote:Just came across a situation involving an inference question in RC and would like some input on this. So it's from PT34-S1-P3 question #18. Basically, it asks which can be inferred about bacteria and the correct "inference" is stated in other words directly in the passage with no logical leaps or anything needed.

Yep. Pick that answer, as it will always be correct.

Be wary, however, because they will often repeat a sentence but change one little thing in a "sucker choice" answer.

A similar example, Oct 99/Pt 29-S2-P2#9- refer to the 2nd paragraph

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”