at what point do you not retake?

hos9903

at what point do you not retake?

Postby hos9903 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 am

So I scored a 167 in June (first time), and naturally everyone on TLS is telling me to retake. The problem is that I was PTing at around 165, and although I never felt I was at my full potential, a +2 point bump on test day is rare. On top of that, I was at -0 for LG, the easiest section to improve.

So, given this information, at what point is a retake no longer worth it? I'd really like to run with this score and have only one on file, and work on sending my apps at the very beginning of the cycle to T20 and T30 schools. Or am I in a range where 2 or 3 points more makes a big difference? (if it helps, I'm a splitter with a 3.4 GPA).

tl;dr: is it better to have one score on file than two if they are only a few points apart (say, 167 and 169)? Is it better to apply October 1st as a splitter (to T20-T30 in terms of acceptances and $$$) than wait for a second round of scores to get back?

Open to a retake if it's really the best thing to do. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it!

magickware

Re: at what point do you not retake?

Postby magickware » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 am

If you have the time, continue studying while working on your app. If you see notable improvements (4-5+ of your actual score at least), then retake it. If not, no need.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 am

Retake is worth it unless you prepped really hard (1000+ hours). 3 points will get you $$ at T20.

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 am

thank you both, I appreciate it.

Am I over thinking the time element? I have the idea that if I don't get my applications in very early, because of my splitter status, I may be missing out on acceptances/$$ even if I have 169-170.

Dr.Zer0

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

hos9903 wrote:thank you both, I appreciate it.

Am I over thinking the time element? I have the idea that if I don't get my applications in very early, because of my splitter status, I may be missing out on acceptances/$$ even if I have 169-170.

These two links may help you out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... zcnc#gid=0

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... erdata.pdf

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 am

apply early then update with new scores. if you think your new scores aren't pulling what you think they should then you can just apply next cycle.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 am

hos9903 wrote:So I scored a 167 in June (first time), and naturally everyone on TLS is telling me to retake. The problem is that I was PTing at around 165, and although I never felt I was at my full potential, a +2 point bump on test day is rare. On top of that, I was at -0 for LG, the easiest section to improve.

So, given this information, at what point is a retake no longer worth it? I'd really like to run with this score and have only one on file, and work on sending my apps at the very beginning of the cycle to T20 and T30 schools. Or am I in a range where 2 or 3 points more makes a big difference? (if it helps, I'm a splitter with a 3.4 GPA).

tl;dr: is it better to have one score on file than two if they are only a few points apart (say, 167 and 169)? Is it better to apply October 1st as a splitter (to T20-T30 in terms of acceptances and $$$) than wait for a second round of scores to get back?

Open to a retake if it's really the best thing to do. Thanks for any input, I appreciate it!

having a higher score on file will be better. your question makes me think you are reluctant to put in the effort to improve. since your actual score was over your typical range, i'd say that you shouldn't retake unless you light a fire under your ass.
you don't want a 167 and a 165.

honestly though, ED deadlines are often going to be after your October score comes out. and i am not sure applying early is that big of an advantage anymore. i'd go for a higher score, but you probably want to give up.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 am

If you send in your app as soon as October scores are released, a bump in score will be worth a LOT more than the earlier app. Most people won't even think about applying until November.

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks guys, this has all been helpful.

RuleSubstitution wrote:
honestly though, ED deadlines are often going to be after your October score comes out. and i am not sure applying early is that big of an advantage anymore. i'd go for a higher score, but you probably want to give up.

Special shout out to this...I know what you were trying to do and it worked

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:22 am

very useful links, espeically that google doc

y2zipper

Postby y2zipper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

When you've taken it 3 times or hit a 170+, really (unless you're looking at YS). You don't want the LSAT score to be the main reason you don't get in somewhere.

A lower score never hurts you for the most part simply because schools take the highest one. A high LSAT will get your application at least a look at splitter-friendly places.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 pm

stairs wrote:Repeater data is really interesting. The one person who scored a 170-180 after a 149 first take must have been the happiest dude on the planet.

Dude at my church scored a 151 after minimal studying, got serious and studied full-time (!) for a few months, got a 172 on the retake (on the lower end of his PTs) and went on to Georgetown. Nothing super special about him, he just realized how important the LSAT was and buckled down.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:45 pm

I'd be retaking if I wasn't already in at the best school I could get into with my GPA.

You seem to not be in the same situation. Retake. It will be worth it.

laotze

Postby laotze » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:58 pm

165, scored lower on retake. Was working ~60 hours at demanding job, tried to squeeze in studying wherever I could but still failed to do much of it, just couldn't hack LG sections fast enough. Obvious TLS advice would have been to delay LS apps a year, quit work, and study my ass off full time, but for a lot of personal life reasons ("there are no good reasons," I know, I know) that just wasn't feasible.

So, I "wasted" my 4.0 on a T14 with a partial scholly that's still going to cost me six figures in debt, when I probably could have snagged a full ride under better circumstances. I regret this, but I still can't really see what I would have done differently. C'est la vie I suppose.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:43 am

as long as you are somewhat sane..

if you post something asking if you should retake...

i noticed I, along with almost everyone else, will almost always say retake. With that being said, I will probably be saying this word many many times throughout my TLSing sessions.

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:07 am

Better to score higher with two on file.

Like an above poster said, I would study hard for maybe a month or two and see whether your PT scores improve as one of the primary indicators of whether you should actually pull the trigger come October.

Of course you would still sign up for October and just pull out before deadline to receive full refund if you're PT scores aren't up to your expectations. Obviously if you can't break a 165 by then, I would seriously reconsider the retake option and just apply if you still intend on doing so.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 am

You stop retaking after you score a 180 because you can't score any higher.

amuseboosh

Postby amuseboosh » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:26 am

louierodriguez wrote:You stop retaking after you score a 180 because you can't score any higher.

Just ignore the troll

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:28 am

amuseboosh wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:You stop retaking after you score a 180 because you can't score any higher.

Just ignore the troll

That's right, ignore me. I beg you to desire perfection and he recommends you ignore me. Which is more noble?

Megstew

Postby Megstew » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:31 am

louierodriguez wrote:
amuseboosh wrote:

Just ignore the troll

That's right, ignore me. I beg you to desire perfection and he recommends you ignore me. Which is more noble?

A quick glance at your posting history confirms that you are indeed a troll so I have to say amuseboosh's suggestion is more noble.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:37 am

Megstew wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:
amuseboosh wrote:

Just ignore the troll

A quick glance at your posting history confirms that you are indeed a troll so I have to say amuseboosh's suggestion is more noble.

Pathetic. You both should be ashamed of yourselves. OP best of luck to you. Please retake. I know you're capable of much more.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 am

"LET no one be surprised if, in speaking of entirely new principalities as I shall do, I adduce the highest examples both of prince and of state; because men, walking almost always in paths beaten by others, and following by imitation their deeds, are yet unable to keep entirely to the ways of others or attain to the power of those they imitate. A wise man ought always to follow the paths beaten by great men, and to imitate those who have been supreme, so that if his ability does not equal theirs, at least it will savour of it. Let him act like the clever archers who, designing to hit the mark which yet appears too far distant, and knowing the limits to which the strength of their bow attains, take aim much higher than the mark, not to reach by their strength or arrow to so great a height, but to be able with the aid of so high an aim to hit the mark they wish to reach.”

-Niccolo Machiaevelli

fuck the haters

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm

You stop retaking when you are fairly certain that your choice to stop will not lead to moments of constant regret throughout your life.

Stop when you achieved your goal. I do not belittle a person's personal goals ever. But if you made a commitment, i do believe you should make no compromises.

hos9903

Postby hos9903 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 pm

haha thanks everyone...I hadn't checked this for a few days and was happy with the responses.

At this point I'm going to try and retake. Although I am confident that my holistic application will get me into at least one of my top choice schools in T30, now it's all about the $$$ and breaking 170.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm

hos9903 wrote:haha thanks everyone...I hadn't checked this for a few days and was happy with the responses.

At this point I'm going to try and retake. Although I am confident that my holistic application will get me into at least one of my top choice schools in T30, now it's all about the $$$ and breaking 170.

Brilliant. The only schools where "getting in" means anything is HYS. Everywhere else you should be maximizing your merit aid.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”