Building up RC

logicgames_darling

Building up RC

Postby logicgames_darling » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 pm

As a retaker, I know that my biggest weakness is RC. I can go -0 on LG and between -3/-4 on LR, but RC is just a shot in the dark most of the time. On June I got -8 which was a little more than my average, but evidently it's still a problem area.

So I know that's what I really need to buckle down and focus on this time around, but my question to you all is how do you think I should progress? At this point, I've looked over a number of RC guides and come up with a system that I think works for me (a mix of annotating and underlining/circling a few key things). I'm approaching it like a logic games, with a plan of attack for every passage but so far I have been working on passages untimed. After drilling around 20 with various topics I'm scoring pretty consistently -0 or -1 on these untimed sections, but I'm sure that when it comes to me taking a PT that my timing just won't be up to par. So at what point should I be working on my timing for RC? Once I get the methods down cold and am scoring -1/-2 for four passages? Or try and mix it in now as I am only at -4/-5 for a whole section (untimed)?

The key to this whole test is a combination of speed and accuracy, without sacrificing one for the other and I just want to make sure that I don't neglect my RC this time around. To be frank that strange experimental RC from June threw me off completely and it was the first section I have ever ran out of time on. Freaking first section of the test!! So I think my confidence is even more shaken when it comes to RC at the moment and I just want to make sure that I beast it come October.

Any help or thoughts is totally appreciated!!

mvonh001

Re: Building up RC

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 pm

logicgames_darling wrote:As a retaker, I know that my biggest weakness is RC. I can go -0 on LG and between -3/-4 on LR, but RC is just a shot in the dark most of the time. On June I got -8 which was a little more than my average, but evidently it's still a problem area.

So I know that's what I really need to buckle down and focus on this time around, but my question to you all is how do you think I should progress? At this point, I've looked over a number of RC guides and come up with a system that I think works for me (a mix of annotating and underlining/circling a few key things). I'm approaching it like a logic games, with a plan of attack for every passage but so far I have been working on passages untimed. After drilling around 20 with various topics I'm scoring pretty consistently -0 or -1 on these untimed sections, but I'm sure that when it comes to me taking a PT that my timing just won't be up to par. So at what point should I be working on my timing for RC? Once I get the methods down cold and am scoring -1/-2 for four passages? Or try and mix it in now as I am only at -4/-5 for a whole section (untimed)?

The key to this whole test is a combination of speed and accuracy, without sacrificing one for the other and I just want to make sure that I don't neglect my RC this time around. To be frank that strange experimental RC from June threw me off completely and it was the first section I have ever ran out of time on. Freaking first section of the test!! So I think my confidence is even more shaken when it comes to RC at the moment and I just want to make sure that I beast it come October.

Any help or thoughts is totally appreciated!!

I'm personally going to complete RC sections untimed until i can consistently get -4, then I'm going to drill timed Rc sections - Note, these are just for drilling, I will still Time my PT's RC sections.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Are you spending sufficient time reviewing how the questions relate to the passage?

logicgames_darling

Postby logicgames_darling » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I'm personally going to complete RC sections untimed until i can consistently get -4, then I'm going to drill timed Rc sections - Note, these are just for drilling, I will still Time my PT's RC sections.

thanks, that sounds about what i was thinking of doing. i figure at least until i get the timing down RC sections on PTs i probably won't get to all the questions, but my accuracy should be better.

RuleSubstitution wrote:Are you spending sufficient time reviewing how the questions relate to the passage?

i believe so. i've spent a lot of time reviewing the questions i get wrong since this past administration and trying to figure out what i was thinking or where i went wrong. i struggle with inferences and frankly just going too quickly. i fall into RC traps all the time because i get lazy or lose focus. your brain really has to be in RC 110%. i still have a long way to go by all means, but i think a lot of it is just repetition and drilling. i need to find my patterns and cut out the random thoughts that are taking away my time.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:07 pm

I think summarizing is superior to underlining - it's more active, and will set you up better for structure questions.
Just 5 or 6 word summaries of each paragraph. I like to keep mine in informal language, because it's more fun. Here's one of my sections from PT 10 (I went -0 or -1 on this 4 question section):

Readjustment (term they defined in text) --> assimilate as individuals into society
B/A (this was some government bureaucracy named in text): "own, tax, sell your land." (this was the bureau's message to why they should do readjustment)
Indians: "ain't fallin for this again"
-->Yay! Learned from history!

It might be a little unorthodox, but I think you might want to try it on a couple of sections, untimed, and see how you do. For me, by putting it very much in my own language, I stay more engaged, it's more fun, and it's "Higher Level Bloom's" for all y'all ed folks.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 am

logicgames_darling wrote:i believe so. i've spent a lot of time reviewing the questions i get wrong since this past administration and trying to figure out what i was thinking or where i went wrong

Then you're not spending sufficient time on it, as you also have to look at the questions you got right.

RC is as much about knowing what they're likely to ask about (timing) as it is about actually answering the questions (accuracy). If you're getting questions correct but not reviewing them, you're not learning all the patterns to the RC section.

It's important to not only figure out why you're getting things wrong, but also to analyze your underlining/notations to make sure that you're hitting all the points that show up in questions, and you're not hitting the points that don't show up in questions. Each extra note you take is extra time spent annotating and less focus on the stuff that matters. Each note you miss that shows up in a question takes time to find the correct answer when you get to that question. They ask about the same features over and over and over again, so reviewing ALL the questions will help you see these patterns.

The flipside is focusing on accuracy, which is usually helped by an increased focus on the important elements of the passage. But it also comes down to analyzing the questions as question types like you do for LR. The questions in RC have been moving in an LR-like direction recently, so there are patterns and strategies that overlap between the two sections. Start treating the questions like LR questions with an extremely long stimulus.

logicgames_darling

Postby logicgames_darling » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 am

bp shinners wrote:Then you're not spending sufficient time on it, as you also have to look at the questions you got right.

RC is as much about knowing what they're likely to ask about (timing) as it is about actually answering the questions (accuracy). If you're getting questions correct but not reviewing them, you're not learning all the patterns to the RC section.

It's important to not only figure out why you're getting things wrong, but also to analyze your underlining/notations to make sure that you're hitting all the points that show up in questions, and you're not hitting the points that don't show up in questions. Each extra note you take is extra time spent annotating and less focus on the stuff that matters. Each note you miss that shows up in a question takes time to find the correct answer when you get to that question. They ask about the same features over and over and over again, so reviewing ALL the questions will help you see these patterns.

The flipside is focusing on accuracy, which is usually helped by an increased focus on the important elements of the passage. But it also comes down to analyzing the questions as question types like you do for LR. The questions in RC have been moving in an LR-like direction recently, so there are patterns and strategies that overlap between the two sections. Start treating the questions like LR questions with an extremely long stimulus.

thank you. i believe you're right and i'm really going to focus on looking for the paterns of passages as a whole, questions i get wrong and the ones that i get right. that tip about analyzing what i annotate is a really good tip as well. hopefully it'll help me streamline my process, saving time and focusing on the things that really make a difference.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”