lg: Repeat the whole game Qs until you get -0? Or...

15chocolate

lg: Repeat the whole game Qs until you get -0? Or...

Postby 15chocolate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Hello, I have a question about LG...
Do you redo all questions on the game when you miss 1 or 2 questions on the game or just repeat the questions you missed? (Redo I mean do the game like after days or weeks)
When people move to next LG or done with the game, do you mean you can always have -0 on the game and no need to do the game again?
Or repeating means just do the game 2 or 3 times?

Thanks!

magickware

Re: lg: Repeat the whole game Qs until you get -0? Or...

Postby magickware » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Should probably do a game you missed a question or two on at least two or three times. Each time you should be finishing it faster and with no mistakes.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:32 pm

magickware wrote:Should probably do a game you missed a question or two on at least two or three times. Each time you should be finishing it faster and with no mistakes.

Agreed - Unless you flat-out misread the question or one of the answer choices (or mis-bubbled), missing a LG question points to a larger misunderstanding with the game; either you made a mistake in the diagram or misunderstood a reference, so it's worthwhile to re-do the whole thing.

I usually do games at least twice, even when I don't miss any. I'll do it on my own, watch the corresponding 7sage video on YouTube to see if I missed any major inferences or to see if they used a different diagram that I like better. Then I'll re-do the entire game, including re-reading the stimulus, writing all the rules down, and re-doing my diagram.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 pm

the worst thing that could possibly happen (which has happened to me many times)
is when you do a game and get a couple wrong, and you do the same game later on and you still don't get perfect.

I treat this sign as an indicator that I didn't learn something or that I'm making a certain type of error and it becomes like a red alert status. If I keep making the same mistakes, i'm merely developing that into a habit.

like Magickware said... do the whole game a few times.
In fact, if I were you, I every game in every PT at least twice... But that's just because i'm not as fast with my learning as I hoped I would be before I started this LSAT journey T_T

But keep in mind that doing the same game/questions many times guarantees nothing. The only things that get you as close to guaranteeing any sort of results on test day are: 1) How well have you learned all skills necessary to do perform well? 2)How great are your habits (which will indicate your consistency in scoring)?

You can do the same game 10 times and miss out on all the important diagramming techniques that you should have learned for that under 6 minute performance that you might want. You can be doing nothing more than hammering away at forming bad habits.

It's much more important to REVIEW your games. Your exact paper and pen-work that you did. Review your thought processes and attack where you are sub-optimal.

Playing again without reviewing will barely help you and if anything, it has a higher chance of hurting you if you did things wrong the first time.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Thank you for your answers!
I guess I should re-do the whole game, rather than just the questions I missed...
Sometimes I miss a question because of a small thing (and that makes me feel likely just redoing that question) and it's frustrating because I understand the game or how to diagram correctly, but maybe it's just I thought I understand the game but actually not.

kiyoku wrote: But keep in mind that doing the same game/questions many times guarantees nothing. The only things that get you as close to guaranteeing any sort of results on test day are: 1) How well have you learned all skills necessary to do perform well? 2)How great are your habits (which will indicate your consistency in scoring)?

You can do the same game 10 times and miss out on all the important diagramming techniques that you should have learned for that under 6 minute performance that you might want. You can be doing nothing more than hammering away at forming bad habits.

It's much more important to REVIEW your games. Your exact paper and pen-work that you did. Review your thought processes and attack where you are sub-optimal.

I think this is really true...reminds me of LR.
It takes time, but I guess there is no shortcut to improve on LG (or the whole LSAT test).
(But for those try&trial questions, not sure what I can learn from it...maybe see which one would be that type of question? :? )

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 pm

15chocolate wrote:Thank you for your answers!
I guess I should re-do the whole game, rather than just the questions I missed...
Sometimes I miss a question because of a small thing (and that makes me feel likely just redoing that question) and it's frustrating because I understand the game or how to diagram correctly, but maybe it's just I thought I understand the game but actually not.

Well, if it's general things that aren't necessarily a part of the specific game (say you forgot a rule or something), then you don't have to redo that particular game. It's good practice to do so, but it's always useful to differentiate between why you got something wrong.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 am

magickware wrote:
15chocolate wrote:Thank you for your answers!

Well, if it's general things that aren't necessarily a part of the specific game (say you forgot a rule or something), then you don't have to redo that particular game. It's good practice to do so, but it's always useful to differentiate between why you got something wrong.

Thanks for the additional advice :)
Sometimes I read or make constraints wrong because I read too fast...(Such as...it says at least 2 spaces between them, but I skiped the at least part and made 2 spaces between them or even it says about X, I wrote Y for some reason...careless mistake :( ) but we should not rush in diagraming (slow down) I guess? I try to finish diagraming within 2-3 min, but maybe should not make a time limit...

magickware

Postby magickware » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:25 am

If you're making careless mistakes, then you should absolutely slow down and make sure not to make the same mistakes =D

I made the very same mistakes you're referring to. I vowed never to rush whenever I saw similar wording again.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks, feel kind of relieved to know it's not only me to make this kind of mistake...I will try to reduce those mistakes too by slowing down :)
(After all the diagram is the most important to solve questions! :) )

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I repeat them no matter what, even if I score the game perfectly the first time in under 5 minutes. It's worth it to see if you can do that again, and that it wasn't just some unique stroke of brilliance. Now, it's obvious that you should repeat the games you miss questions on. But I also think it's super important to repeat the games that you aced, but maybe they took too long to complete. You really need to perfect your LG techniques and do them efficiently if you want consistent 0s on individual sections. It's those difficulty level 4 games (dinos, zephyr, lizards, bus game etc.) that keep many people from getting 0s due to timing issues. So just imagine if you can do those in even 12 minutes or less. You're golden.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.
So for those I did good at...repeat and try to solve it within less minites, for those I missed some Qs...repeat until understand all Qs, then time.
It's good to know not just repeat, but have some meaning for doing it each time :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”