Minimum Scores HYS?

SmokeyG

Minimum Scores HYS?

Postby SmokeyG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:47 pm

What do you all think is the minimum LSAT score for a white male with a 3.99 from a Big Ten school (not NU, Michigan, or Indiana) needs to get to have a fighting chance at HYS? I've heard anywhere from a 170 to a 176 from friends, some of which are currently attending HLS. I searched around, and the threads I saw similar to this were for URMs (they said 3.5+/165+ = golden). Unfortunately, I am average by all accounts :mrgreen:! Not only am I male, I am caucasian. Not only am I white, I go to an enormous university. I think thats about a -10 in what you all refer to as "softs". What kind of score do I need to separate myself from the pack?

By the way, I am consistently PTing at 170 and I start reading the Bibles tomorrow.

thewaves

Re: Minimum Scores HYS?

Postby thewaves » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Their median scores-- 173/172--would give you a shot.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 pm

SmokeyG wrote:What do you all think is the minimum LSAT score for a white male with a 3.99 from a Big Ten school (not NU, Michigan, or Indiana) needs to get to have a fighting chance at HYS? I've heard anywhere from a 170 to a 176 from friends, some of which are currently attending HLS. I searched around, and the threads I saw similar to this were for URMs (they said 3.5+/165+ = golden). Unfortunately, I am average by all accounts :mrgreen:! Not only am I male, I am caucasian. Not only am I white, I go to an enormous university. I think thats about a -10 in what you all refer to as "softs". What kind of score do I need to separate myself from the pack?

By the way, I am consistently PTing at 170 and I start reading the Bibles tomorrow.

Go to mylsn.info ... all the answers that you seek are there for H. For H, once you hit 172 you're looking at 85%+ odds of getting in, at which point its your PS/LORs that will ding you.

For Y/S, your softs are going to matter a lot more, and it doesn't really sound like you have any, so no score is gonna do it for you...

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:54 pm

at a very very minimum I would say 170, but that's pushing it. I would bet on your odds at 173

SmokeyG

Postby SmokeyG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Wow, that website is awesome. Thanks guys.

I'll definitely apply with above a 3.95. So if I test at 170, hopefully I could get in off some wait lists. But I guess there is no use speculating or worrying about that until after I read the bibles and see what my new PTs are at then.

Appreciate the help guys, you are all surprisingly quick and polite here.

P.S. Are extremely strong ECs a soft? Like Student Body X (President/VP/Treasurer) and a few other prestigious administration-related positions.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

SmokeyG wrote:
P.S. Are extremely strong ECs a soft? Like Student Body X (President/VP/Treasurer) and a few other prestigious administration-related positions.

Yeah they are... but I wouldn't consider them above average (average being those softs of ppl getting into YS). A lot of people who get into YS have super interesting stories (a lot don't but just so you know what you're up against)

SmokeyG

Postby SmokeyG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
SmokeyG wrote:

Yeah they are... but I wouldn't consider them above average (average being those softs of ppl getting into YS). A lot of people who get into YS have super interesting stories (a lot don't but just so you know what you're up against)

Does work experience help? I work in investment banking in a well known firm. The industry isn't right for me, but I can speak at length about the skill set its given me and the ability to manage extreme amounts of work.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 pm

SmokeyG wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
SmokeyG wrote:

Does work experience help? I work in investment banking in a well known firm. The industry isn't right for me, but I can speak at length about the skill set its given me and the ability to manage extreme amounts of work.

Much better than not having work experience. 170's and you haven't even started the bibles yet? Good for you! I think most of your concerns (other than improving upon your mistakes) have to do with minimizing your chances of performing under your standard level.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 am

YS are black boxes, but for H:

170 is better than coin flip
171 has very good chance
172 is lock

Based on LSN.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:39 am

You are scoring 170's and you haven't read the bibles yet? Did you read Manhattan?

Who the hell scores 170's without reading the bibles.

Who are you?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:57 am

louierodriguez wrote:You are scoring 170's and you haven't read the bibles yet? Did you read Manhattan?

Who are you?

1/3 the people who go to HYS

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:1/3 the people who go to HYS

So just all the people at Harvard.

hehe :D

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 am

By the time I apply my GPA will be ~3.95, and I was told 171 for waitlist and 173 for a really good chance at getting in. I ended up with 171 so I may get in off the waitlist, but I'd be happy to stay in Canada as well.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:56 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
SmokeyG wrote:

Care to be more specific?

SmokeyG

Postby SmokeyG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:30 am

louierodriguez wrote:You are scoring 170's and you haven't read the bibles yet? Did you read Manhattan?

Who are you?

No, I have not yet read any study material beyond the first 20 pages of the LR Bible (started last night - wow is it boring). Your comment is flattering, but I think I just have a style of thinking that is extremely comparable with the LSAT. I didn't even get HY for undergraduate. I ended up taking a full ride to my state flagship because I knew Id be getting a second degree.

Just a white guy from the Midwest with an above average intellect and a firm understanding of logical thinking.

Admittedly, I have read almost every article The Economist has published in the last two years. And I'm in high finance so gritty, fast-moving passages with numbers don't bother me. Both have definitely helped.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:18 pm

someone go into yale with a 157 a few years ago.

SmokeyG

Postby SmokeyG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:20 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:someone go into yale with a 157 a few years ago.

Thanks for your reply, but that 157 really only applies if the very same candidate met all the same criteria I offered (that is, the candidate is a male, white, from a public university, and does not have any significant softs besides WE and ECs).

Alden Bee

Postby Alden Bee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:11 pm

HLS and SLS does not release their minimum LSAT and/or GPA. :)

YLS is the only HYS school that releases this information every cycle. :D

Also keep in mind that special accommodation applicants are not included in the class profile, per ABA rules.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”