Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Bulls96
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Postby Bulls96 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:28 pm

A mixture of an admissions question and LSAT prep question.

1. 3.3x GPA. Diagnostic 151 in March. 166 on June LSAT.
Would it be better to apply early with 166 or after an October retake with a 170 (big assumption assuming I can jump to a 170, but let's go with that assumption for now). Aiming for low T14-T25. I remember seeing charts of acceptances by month and forgot where that was.

2. Are SuperPreps a good indication of LSAT score? Problem is, I did every single PT from 1-68 for my June LSAT prep and have run out of preptests. If I still use some of those for prep and full tests, would SuperPreps still be good to judge where I'm "truly" at? I know people say that you don't remember questions after X amount of time, but that's simply not true for me, I have a good memory, especially of the ones I got wrong/were particularly hard, because I studied those questions extensively.

To be clear, I still plan on using some of the PTs from 1-68 to drill and do full length tests, but am asking if I can use SuperPreps as true measures since they're pretty old.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:00 pm

Bulls96 wrote:A mixture of an admissions question and LSAT prep question.

1. 3.3x GPA. Diagnostic 151 in March. 166 on June LSAT.
Would it be better to apply early with 166 or after an October retake with a 170 (big assumption assuming I can jump to a 170, but let's go with that assumption for now). Aiming for low T14-T25. I remember seeing charts of acceptances by month and forgot where that was.

2. Are SuperPreps a good indication of LSAT score? Problem is, I did every single PT from 1-68 for my June LSAT prep and have run out of preptests. If I still use some of those for prep and full tests, would SuperPreps still be good to judge where I'm "truly" at? I know people say that you don't remember questions after X amount of time, but that's simply not true for me, I have a good memory, especially of the ones I got wrong/were particularly hard, because I studied those questions extensively.

To be clear, I still plan on using some of the PTs from 1-68 to drill and do full length tests, but am asking if I can use SuperPreps as true measures since they're pretty old.


Retakes may be slightly inflated, but still a pretty decent indicator of your understanding, as long as you don't "remember" and just choose "E" because it was the right answer. Just go through the logic behind the questions. Superpreps are roughly the same as PTs in the 20s and 30s. It might help to try and finish the sections with time to spare if you're afraid of saving time because of remembered games or questions.

Finally, even a 168 would definitely be worth waiting until November for over a 166. You could even apply early, but then sign up for the test.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Postby elterrible78 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Bulls96 wrote:A mixture of an admissions question and LSAT prep question.

1. 3.3x GPA. Diagnostic 151 in March. 166 on June LSAT.
Would it be better to apply early with 166 or after an October retake with a 170 (big assumption assuming I can jump to a 170, but let's go with that assumption for now). Aiming for low T14-T25. I remember seeing charts of acceptances by month and forgot where that was.


Going with that assumption (which is definitely a big one), it would be a whole lot better to apply with a 170 post-October than with a 166 earlier. It's not even close.

Bulls96
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Postby Bulls96 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:You could even apply early, but then sign up for the test.


How does this work? Would the report show that I'm signed up to take the Oct test or does the school have no clue? And if it does show, would the school wait for the score or do they just go ahead and make the decision?

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Bulls96 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:You could even apply early, but then sign up for the test.


How does this work? Would the report show that I'm signed up to take the Oct test or does the school have no clue? And if it does show, would the school wait for the score or do they just go ahead and make the decision?


You can't apply early, tell them to hold off on reviewing your app, hold your place in line, and then send in a later score and still have your application consider to have been submitted at the earlier date. You can either apply with the earlier score or tell them to hold off until you get the new score. You can apply with the earlier score and hope the new one comes out before they review your application, but that's a dangerous game.

My recommendation is to prep leading up to October, then make the call the week before. Either take the test if your PTs are higher and hold off on sending in the application until scores are released, or call off the retake and send in your application. The former is preferable.

Bulls96
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Applying Early vs. Retake (and Ques about SuperPrep)

Postby Bulls96 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks bp.

Anyone have thoughts on whether SuperPreps are accurate indicators?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RPlatt85, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests