Two part question about cambridge drilling packets

azditamo

Two part question about cambridge drilling packets

Postby azditamo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 pm

1. I did try to google this question and try to read about it on the Manhattan forums and did not find anything. So I am turning to TLS for help.

Question 26 out of the necessary assumption packet reads: A favored theory to explain the extinction of dinosaurs..

My question is why is the answer A, wouldn't that strengthen the argument? They say that the asteroid impact is irrelevant and in fact it was the volcanic eruption that caused the extinction, what does it matter what caused what? If this was true as the packet indicates, they can say ok well right the if asteroid did cause the volcano to erupt, the eruption of the volcano killed the dinosaurs not the asteroid.

I picked E because I thought the last section followed this assumption, because if they assume that there is no way to determine which came first they can argue that yes in fact an asteroid did hit the planet but that it was the volcanic eruption that happened later that killed off the dinosaurs.

Please help

2. Is it necessary to finish all 200 some problems in this packet, it other words is that was is required when drilling these question types?

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Re: Two part question about cambridge drilling packets

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:21 am

1. You'll get a better answer if you specify the preptest # and section number. Most people won't have that packet.
2. No, it's not necessary to drill all questions. I personally don't find questions types that important, once you get the gist of each one. You're far more likely to just get hard questions wrong than you are to be weak at a particular question type.

That said, drilling is useful if you identify a specific weakness. And there are people who will disagree with me and say that drilling is extremely useful. So use your own judgement as to whether it's helping you. I find timed tests are the best way to get better though.

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 am

Graeme (Hacking the LSAT) wrote:1. You'll get a better answer if you specify the preptest # and section number. Most people won't have that packet.
2. No, it's not necessary to drill all questions. I personally don't find questions types that important, once you get the gist of each one. You're far more likely to just get hard questions wrong than you are to be weak at a particular question type.

That said, drilling is useful if you identify a specific weakness. And there are people who will disagree with me and say that drilling is extremely useful. So use your own judgement as to whether it's helping you. I find timed tests are the best way to get better though.

Sorry about that it's pt 10-s1-q15

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:12 am

azditamo wrote:1. I did try to google this question and try to read about it on the Manhattan forums and did not find anything. So I am turning to TLS for help.

Question 26 out of the necessary assumption packet reads: A favored theory to explain the extinction of dinosaurs..

My question is why is the answer A, wouldn't that strengthen the argument? They say that the asteroid impact is irrelevant and in fact it was the volcanic eruption that caused the extinction, what does it matter what caused what? If this was true as the packet indicates, they can say ok well right the if asteroid did cause the volcano to erupt, the eruption of the volcano killed the dinosaurs not the asteroid.

I picked E because I thought the last section followed this assumption, because if they assume that there is no way to determine which came first they can argue that yes in fact an asteroid did hit the planet but that it was the volcanic eruption that happened later that killed off the dinosaurs.

Please help

2. Is it necessary to finish all 200 some problems in this packet, it other words is that was is required when drilling these question types?

What caused the volcanic activity does indeed matter, because the new theory says the asteroid was "irrelevant" to the death of the dinosaurs. If the asteroid caused the volcanic activity—which would mean the volcanic activity occurred because of the asteroid—then the asteroid is hardly irrelevant. So in order for the new theory to be correct in saying the asteroid was irrelevant, it must assume that the asteroid did not cause the activity, which is what A says.

E is incorrect because it is irrelevant (ha!). There is no particular reason that it must be true (necessary assumption questions are asking you to find what must be true) that we cannot determine which came first.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:21 am

I did this question a few days ago. I'm working on this same packet. I also chose E on my first run through. I was able to discover my mistake, however.

This was one of the few questions I wrote notes next to in the margin.

Directly next to E, I have written, "Chosen because why? No good reason!"

Then beneath the problem I wrote, "If the impact of an asteroid caused massive volcanic activity this would be relevant."

I also circled "irrelevant" in the 8th line.

I do think it's a bit tricky, but it's simple. I think we both chose E because we didn't really think any of the other answers were better, but that's not sufficient reasoning in picking an answer.

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 am

Ok so now I understand I didn't understand how they used irrelevant. I thought they meant because it didnt cause the extinction of the dinosaur it irrelevant not its irrevlant because it did not do anything. Then if A is true it is relevant because it was a catalyst in the extinction of the dinosaurs. Thanks for the clarification.

Clever girl, this is one of those tricky worded quesrions.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:54 am

Graeme (Hacking the LSAT) wrote:2. No, it's not necessary to drill all questions. I personally don't find questions types that important, once you get the gist of each one. You're far more likely to just get hard questions wrong than you are to be weak at a particular question type.

I agree with the bolded, but I also think drilling can be effective if you're having trouble with a specific question type. I drilled all the way through about 1/3 - 1/2 of the packets, and found them useful for getting comfortable with different question stems and "trap" answers for each type. This was something that I learned on an instinctual level though, not memorization. As long as you don't rush just to get through, and understand your mistakes, then I don't think additional exposure to the questions is ever going to hurt you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”