6 sections PT's? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mvonh001

Silver

6 sections PT's?

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 pm

How many people here feel the need to take 6 sections PTs?

In addition, how often should I do 8 section PTs? once, twice, three times?

NanaP

Bronze

Re: 6 sections PT's?

Post by NanaP » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm

mvonh001 wrote:How many people here feel the need to take 6 sections PTs?

No....I think doing 4 sections is fine....but do the first three then take a 10-15 min break to simulate test day

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Do you have any reason to think you're suffering from test fatigue on a four-section PT? Are you scores in the fourth section routinely lower than when the same type of section (RC,LG,LR) is earlier in the test?

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:06 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:

Do you have any reason to think you're suffering from test fatigue on a four-section PT? Are you scores in the fourth section routinely lower than when the same type of section (RC,LG,LR) is earlier in the test?
As of right now, Yes, but that could be because RC was last and RC is usually my worst section, and also because I have erased all of my past PT data and have started fresh on LSATQA. Regardless, however, i do remember always thinking that the later sections were more difficult and I believe i scored worse on them... But i was just doing double PT's to make sure that I don't fall victim to test fatigue.

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Do 8.. at least a couple of times. I think I did it like 3-4 times.

Do 8 just so you can tell yourself that you've done 8. It will help you, trust me. It's brutal but effective.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 pm

Also since your weakness is RC, once you get fairly comfortable with it, I'd recommend doing a 4-section test with just RC sections.

I know it seems crazy and unnecessary, but its important to overexert yourself in practice... game day should just be completely fluid and natural. It will also be a good way to reduce the anxiety around RC. You have to make the test your bitch.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:49 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:Also since your weakness is RC, once you get fairly comfortable with it, I'd recommend doing a 4-section test with just RC sections.

I know it seems crazy and unnecessary, but its important to overexert yourself in practice... game day should just be completely fluid and natural. It will also be a good way to reduce the anxiety around RC. You have to make the test your bitch.
Great idea... what is your idea on repeating PT's and Sections??

I ask because At the point in time when I'm going to be doing 4 sections RC's I will only have PT1-15 RC's available to me. I would rather create a 4 RC section PT out of newer sections.

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 am

mvonh001 wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:Also since your weakness is RC, once you get fairly comfortable with it, I'd recommend doing a 4-section test with just RC sections.

Great idea... what is your idea on repeating PT's and Sections??

I ask because At the point in time when I'm going to be doing 4 sections RC's I will only have PT1-15 RC's available to me. I would rather create a 4 RC section PT out of newer sections.
Mix it up. Add a couple of PT 1-15 RC that you haven't seen and add a couple of RC that you have already seen (but not in the past 2 months). The point isn't necessarily to gain an accurate representation of you score. The point is to demonstrate to yourself that you can engage 16 passages in a row, and answer questions using appropriate techniques... basically, that you know your shit down cold.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 am

I always did 5 section PT's. I think the only benefit of doing 6's is either a) to help overcome test-fatigue or b) to simulate the extra time that will be spent on the writing section. So as long as you don't regularly feel wasted during section 5 I don't think it's necessary.

I did do 8 sections a few times.
the_pakalypse wrote: Do 8 just so you can tell yourself that you've done 8. It will help you, trust me. It's brutal but effective.
I never made a 180 on PT's, but I did make several 179/8's, two of which came from doing 55/56 back to back as an 8 section PT. It doesn't seem like that big of an increase, but those extra three sections are tooouugghhh to get through. Definitely worth it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 am

What about "Preptests" that are entirely one section? Say you weakness is RC. How about doing a PT that is entirely RC sections, not grading any until you've done them all?
Or would that just be awful and not allow proper review?

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm

patfeeney wrote:What about "Preptests" that are entirely one section? Say you weakness is RC. How about doing a PT that is entirely RC sections, not grading any until you've done them all?
Or would that just be awful and not allow proper review?

I don't see how that would lead to improper review. You do them all. Timed just like a PT, then I would review them all again, untimed to see if i have any changes in answers... then i would score them, then I would go over the incorrect ones more intensely - probably write up a sheet about each passage that gave me problems(>-2).

sunsrule17

New

Post by sunsrule17 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:52 am

the_pakalypse wrote: Do 8 just so you can tell yourself that you've done 8. It will help you, trust me. It's brutal but effective.
Does an 8 section PT mean doing 4 then taking a break then doing 4 more? Or do you take on all 8 sections back to back?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”