LRB Formal Logic chapter

malleus discentium

LRB Formal Logic chapter

Postby malleus discentium » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:19 am

I can hardly get through two pages of this chapter without my eyes completely glazing over. The chapter intro makes it at point to say that learning this shouldn't take up a disproportionate amount of study time. However, I am frequently unable to solve these kinds of questions in time. So I'm pretty sure I need to have at least a reasonable grasp of a way to swiftly do these problems.

So my question is whether PowerScore's chapter on formal logic problems is the best way to learn it or if there is another resource that better explains how to solve these kinds of problems quickly.

Thanks!

Pneumonia

Re: LRB Formal Logic chapter

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 am

malleus discentium wrote:I can hardly get through two pages of this chapter without my eyes completely glazing over. The chapter intro makes it at point to say that learning this shouldn't take up a disproportionate amount of study time. However, I am frequently unable to solve these kinds of questions in time. So I'm pretty sure I need to have at least a reasonable grasp of a way to swiftly do these problems.

So my question is whether PowerScore's chapter on formal logic problems is the best way to learn it or if there is another resource that better explains how to solve these kinds of problems quickly.

Thanks!

I think that the LRB in general is overly promotional of diagramming LR. I used my own notation for the formal logic question when drilling and during PT's; it was actually pretty similar to the notation I used for LG. Once you understand the difference between "if" "only if" and "if and only if" then you should be able to draw your arrows in a way that is helpful to you. I know some of the more complicated questions require more than this, but again if the LRB is making your head spin then just find a notation/method that works for you and stick with it.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:I can hardly get through two pages of this chapter without my eyes completely glazing over. The chapter intro makes it at point to say that learning this shouldn't take up a disproportionate amount of study time. However, I am frequently unable to solve these kinds of questions in time. So I'm pretty sure I need to have at least a reasonable grasp of a way to swiftly do these problems.

Thanks!

I think that the LRB in general is overly promotional of diagramming LR. I used my own notation for the formal logic question when drilling and during PT's; it was actually pretty similar to the notation I used for LG. Once you understand the difference between "if" "only if" and "if and only if" then you should be able to draw your arrows in a way that is helpful to you. I know some of the more complicated questions require more than this, but again if the LRB is making your head spin then just find a notation/method that works for you and stick with it.

I think my question may have been confusing. I don't mean formal logic diagramming generally, I mean specifically the chapter titled "Formal Logic" (chapter 11 in my edition). I'm not having difficulty with the rest of the book or question types so far, just this specific chapter. These questions (all the offices on the fourth floor are larger than those on the second, most of the third-floor offices are smaller than the first...) seem like they should have a programmatic way of being solved. If the method advocated by the LRB is the best one, then I'll put in the time and energy to try to master it, but if there's a simpler way I'd like to try that first.

jtabustos

Postby jtabustos » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks!

Do you learn better visually and/or audibly (right word?)?

It helped me to sometimes look at stuff on Youtube versus straight up Powerscore Bible or other material reading when learning logic.

It helps to also understand the reason/logic behind a particular logic rule and diagramm vs. pure memorization. Once I started understanding the reason/logic behind the rule, then I was more able to match the rules with appropriate diagramm accurately. And once I could do that, then I could then start solving LR problems that require formoal logic more easily. It became intuitive versus more mechanical.

Not saying you don't have to memorize some stuff - you do. But it you should also know the conceptual/logical reason behind it.

Lastly, you might want to try group learning if that's your cup of tea? Some people learn better under diff. circumstances.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”