"The Big Pause"

Clyde Frog

"The Big Pause"

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 pm

I am having trouble understanding how long the big pause should be. For example, yesterday morning I was doing a LG question and paused after reading the question stem. I stayed paused for an extended amount of time, ending my pause this afternoon, and missed 4th of July fireworks in the process. I'm worried that I'm spending too much time being paused and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.
Last edited by Clyde Frog on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

magickware

Re: "The Big Pause"

Postby magickware » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:00 am

I just go straight to the question when I'm sitting still for more than 10 seconds.

If I do the same on any given question, then I make the assumption that I fucked up and didn't make an inference somewhere and go back.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 am

But sometimes I'll be stuck in a pause for hours and the pauses seem to be lasting longer. After these prolonged pauses I will have terrifying nightmares and tend to be antisocial.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:23 am

I once had a student use the big pause during a tutoring session, but forgot to unpause him. I realized months later and rushed back to find him in an Inception-like state.

magickware

Postby magickware » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:26 am

Clyde Frog wrote:But sometimes I'll be stuck in a pause for hours and the pauses seem to be lasting longer. After these prolonged pauses I will have terrifying nightmares and tend to be antisocial.

Could try timing music to start at some preset time so that you know when you have to come out of your pause.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 am

The LSAT Trainer wrote:I once had a student use the big pause during a tutoring session, but forgot to unpause him. I realized months later and rushed back to find him in an Inception-like state.

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. I'm a huge fan of MLSAT and The LSAT Trainer and would recommend them to anyone looking to increase their score, but please, in the future editions of your books, try to educate the general public more of the great dangers of overpausing after a logic game or reading comp paragraph.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:45 am

I'm sure you've learned this the hard way, but as a precaution, I always connect an IV and a feeding tube (just through a small incision in the abdomen) before attempting a logic game.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”