Prep question (retake)

Tot12Tator

Prep question (retake)

Postby Tot12Tator » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:03 pm

I took the LSAT in June and ended up with a 149. Needless to say, I'm already signed up for the October test. I used Kaplan to prep for the June test and don't want to use them again. I have a tutor with Powerscore, but I'm wondering if it would be better to do 20 hours using almost exclusively Powerscore prep books, or if it would be better to do 10 hours and self study with different materials and a ton of prep tests.

The reason I am asking this is because of the large price difference. 10 hours is $1150 where 20 hours is $2600, but comes with 1 more book. Is it worth that much money for 10 more hours and a book?
Last edited by Tot12Tator on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mvonh001

Re: Prep question (retake)

Postby mvonh001 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Tot12Tator wrote:I took the LSAT in June and ended up with a 149. Needless to say, I'm already signed up for the October test. I used Kaplan to prep for the June test and don't want to use them again. I have a tutor with Powerscore, but I'm wondering if it would be better to do 20 hours using almost exclusively Powerscore prep books, or if it would be better to do 10 hours and self study with different materials and a ton of prep tests.

Why not use the 20 hours and study as well... I konw 20 hours was not sufficient for me to score 163, and that wasnt the highest PT i got before the test, although it was my average :(... Anyway, suffice to say, Im retaking. But back to your original post - why not use the 20 hours and study in ur free time as well, or use the 10 hours and study as well... I just don't see what 20 hours could be done with a tutor... But correct me if Im wrong. Will he sit there and watch you take PTs? because that is a quick way to make money out of someone.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Tot12Tator wrote:I took the LSAT in June and ended up with a 149. Needless to say, I'm already signed up for the October test. I used Kaplan to prep for the June test and don't want to use them again. I have a tutor with Powerscore, but I'm wondering if it would be better to do 20 hours using almost exclusively Powerscore prep books, or if it would be better to do 10 hours and self study with different materials and a ton of prep tests.

Uh.... why would you do 20 hours with one set of books but only 10 with the other? Anyway, I'd recommend you do many, many more hours than either of those plans entail, and with a variety of materials (both Powerscore books and other sources). And no prep plan is worth the time of day unless it involves lots of prep tests.

Good luck.

Tot12Tator

Postby Tot12Tator » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 pm

The reason I have this question is the cost. It costs $2600 for 20 hours and $1200 for 10. Is that extra $1400 worth it for 10 more hours? The tutoring, as far as I know, does not come with the bibles.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:43 pm

Tot12Tator wrote:The reason I have this question is the cost. It costs $2600 for 20 hours and $1200 for 10. Is that extra $1400 worth it for 10 more hours? The tutoring, as far as I know, does not come with the bibles.

The math doesn't make sense here.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:28 am

Tot12Tator wrote:The reason I have this question is the cost. It costs $2600 for 20 hours and $1200 for 10. Is that extra $1400 worth it for 10 more hours? The tutoring, as far as I know, does not come with the bibles.

Ah, I didn't catch that you were specifically asking about tutoring hours. I'm still confused as to why using Powerscore materials exclusively versus mixed materials would dictate how many hours you work with a tutor. Also, as another poster pointed out, are you sure you've got the numbers right? You shouldn't be paying a $200 premium for hiring a tutor for more hours..

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:36 am

$2,600...that's a lot of sauce. You can buy 2,600 McChickens with that or 520 Subway $5 dollar foot longs.

Save your money and study yourself. No use paying big money to someone that may be as sharp as a bag of wet hair.

Tot12Tator

Postby Tot12Tator » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:04 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

Ah, I didn't catch that you were specifically asking about tutoring hours. I'm still confused as to why using Powerscore materials exclusively versus mixed materials would dictate how many hours you work with a tutor. Also, as another poster pointed out, are you sure you've got the numbers right? You shouldn't be paying a $200 premium for hiring a tutor for more hours..

The tutoring question is pure cost. I need to go back and edit the OP. And I was a little off. 10 hours is $1150 and 20 is $2600. You get the full course book with the 20 hours...but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash for that.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 am

Tot12Tator wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

The tutoring question is pure cost. I need to go back and edit the OP. And I was a little off. 10 hours is $1150 and 20 is $2600. You get the full course book with the 20 hours...but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash for that.

If you are just getting Powerscore materials, you are getting ripped off... There is no way the bibles cost 300... Save your tutoring money and buy every PT and cambridge packets the lsat trainer, mlsat lr/lg, and LRB/LGB (idk bout these, i never got to use them, but i hear they are good - at the very least wont hinder you). That will run you MAYBE $500-600... Then if your feeling antsy to spend a little bit more figure out what your weakness is, if it is games sign up for velocity, if it is lr ive heard that bp offers excellent lr explanations in their online study. Or just use manahttans forum and self study.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:$2,600...that's a lot of sauce. You can buy 2,600 McChickens with that or 520 Subway $5 dollar foot longs.

Clyde, those examples are absurd, and completely irrelevant.

What really matters is that you could buy 10,400 McNuggets.

mvonh001 wrote:
Tot12Tator wrote:The tutoring question is pure cost. I need to go back and edit the OP. And I was a little off. 10 hours is $1150 and 20 is $2600. You get the full course book with the 20 hours...but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash for that.

If you are just getting Powerscore materials, you are getting ripped off... There is no way the bibles cost 300... Save your tutoring money and buy every PT and cambridge packets the lsat trainer, mlsat lr/lg, and LRB/LGB (idk bout these, i never got to use them, but i hear they are good - at the very least wont hinder you). That will run you MAYBE $500-600... Then if your feeling antsy to spend a little bit more figure out what your weakness is, if it is games sign up for velocity, if it is lr ive heard that bp offers excellent lr explanations in their online study. Or just use manahttans forum and self study.

OP, seriously, do the math: you'd be paying a $300 premium for a single book. You can get all three Powerscore bibles for less than half of that, and that's if you buy them brand new and directly from PS rather than a discount retailer (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/publications/?lpp). I would recommend buying a lot of material (as Mvonh points out, you can get a LOT of great material for less than $500 combined.. enough to do a full prep plan), and if you think tutoring is definitely going to be necessary, then find someone after you've worked through a considerable amount and are more aware of your weaknesses.

Let's say that you spend $500 on a complete set of prep material: that still leaves $2100 for tutoring, and you can definitely find more than solid tutors for $100 or less. At $100, that would actually get you 21 hours; not only would you end up with far more material (and a more comprehensive set of material), you'd get more tutoring.

Tot12Tator

Postby Tot12Tator » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks for the help. I just bought 4 of the "10 ______ LSATs" from LSAC, the bibles, and the Manhattan set. I'm going to drill through those books and some tests and see what I still need help on after getting through that. If I need help, I'll do a few hours of tutoring. If not, I've saved a ton of money. The 149 I scored in June sickens me enough to the point I'll be able to stick to a strict self study routine, which was one thing I was worried about with not being in a class this time.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:18 am

Also, there is the TLS forum, which has an unlimited supply of helpful individuals that have performed extremely well on the LSAT. They don't charge $100 an hour.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 am

Tot12Tator wrote: The tutoring question is pure cost. I need to go back and edit the OP. And I was a little off. 10 hours is $1150 and 20 is $2600. You get the full course book with the 20 hours...but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash for that.

even with the course book this math still does not make sense to me.

OP either way you're going to have to put in exponentially more time self-studying than you will with a tutor, so I wouldn't get bogged down in the difference between 10/20 hours (except for the difference in cost of course). As far as method goes it less about "X" method and more about you figuring out a method that works for you. In order to do so you may have to be exposed to multiple different approaches, and thus different companies, or you may get lucky and be able to apply and adapt the PowerScore method to your own liking. I was fortunate enough to do the latter, and my time spend drilling LG's was much more valuable than my time spent researching other methods.

I do understand the impulse for hiring a tutor, and I am certain that doing so could benefit you significantly, but I am not convinced that you couldn't find and equal amount of help on TLS for free. $2600 dollars is just a lot of money, and it's not something I'd resort to until you feel like you've exhausted the information/methods here.

tke1600

Postby tke1600 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:44 pm

Can you explain this a little more? 99.9% of deals would read something like "$1200 for 10 hours or $2000 for 20 + free book!!!1!!". It does not make sense to charge the customer more for adding on more hours to a package.

If that is really the deal for the tutoring you are looking into, just stay away. If this is the only tutor in your town or something, It would still be smarter to get 10 hours for $1200 and then another 10 hours for $1200. If they are thinking that giving you the book is worth more than $200, that is absurd...

I realize I'm replying a few days late but this was bugging me :shock:

Edit: Also, It would be wise to negotiate with a tutor, especially when looking into 10 hours+, to get the best deal possible, let alone pay full price or get ripped off.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”