LR Drilling Question

Pure Protein

LR Drilling Question

Postby Pure Protein » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 pm

When drilling LR in particular, what is the best way to time it? I have the 1-38 Cambridge bundle but I'm not really sure how to break each type of question down into timed drills. Should I do 1 min 30, for each question in the drill or is there a better way to do it?

smus

Re: LR Drilling Question

Postby smus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Are these sections from PT 1-38? Do you understand question type / individual strategy already? I would recommend getting the strategy for each question type and then work on answering questions 1-10 in ten minutes, then 15 to 20 in 15 and then the last ~5 in the remaining 5 minutes w time for cleanup/bubble check/revisit. I learned this in class, and my LR was my strength, but this was my section drill of choice, and it seems to mirror the flow of difficulty through the LR sections.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Pure Protein wrote:When drilling LR in particular, what is the best way to time it? I have the 1-38 Cambridge bundle but I'm not really sure how to break each type of question down into timed drills. Should I do 1 min 30, for each question in the drill or is there a better way to do it?

Yea I'd start out first by buying PS LR Bible and Manhattan LR bible and go by type before you dive into the PTs. 7Sage online is pretty good for $300 it will break em down in the course and and then break down every1 46-61. I really enjoyed BluePrint course 2.0 their logic reasoning training is top-notch. If all else fails or you just want to save money make sure to check out do Blind Review (http://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-is-a-habit/) and then if in need of explanation go to http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-test-explanations.cfm

Good luck bro!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 am

Pure Protein wrote:When drilling LR in particular, what is the best way to time it? I have the 1-38 Cambridge bundle but I'm not really sure how to break each type of question down into timed drills. Should I do 1 min 30, for each question in the drill or is there a better way to do it?

idk what's going on with the advice ITT as it doesn't seem particularly applicable to your question, so forgive me if I've misunderstood either you or other posters, but here is my input:

there are basically two ways to approach drilling LR by type- 1) untimed, only going to another question when you are 100% confidence in your answer for the current question or 2) timed, with less than 100% confidence in your answer choices.

I don't think either is necessarily better than the other, but I chose the second and it worked well for me. I suppose you could use both. In short, there isn't really a "preferred" method. As long as you're understanding the questions and reviewing your mistakes you'll get better. I ended up doing "sets" of 30 from an individual type, and tried to finish them in 35 minutes. I didn't actively keep time while I was drilling though: I'd just set a timer, not look at it, and then stop it when I was done with the 30 Q's. I found this to be helpful because I was still under a time constraint, and always competing against myself, but I didn't feel the need to be going 1:25 a question all the time at the expense of missing the content of the actual questions.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 am

Pneumonias suggestions are good. You don't have to do all of them the same way in terms of timed or not. At least initially for each question type I think it is better not to time yourself so that you take the time to be really thorough with each question. When you do this you should not just be looking to select the correct answer and move on, you should be carefully evaluating every answer choice in terms of why it is correct or incorrect, what type of relationship it has to the stimulus, why some are attractive even though incorrect, etc.

One of the purposes of drilling by type is to get yourself to see the patterns within each question type in terms of common types of reasoning (say cause and effect or conditional) and especially important, the common recurring types of incorrect answer choices. After doing a bunch of the same type you should take some time to focus on identifying and noticing the commonly recurring types of incorrect answer choices in terms of their relationship to the stimulus and what about it makes it incorrect.

When you focus on finding those patterns while and after working a bunch of questions, see them and then begin to spot them more easily on other problems you do later is when you are really getting the big benefit of drilling that leads to improvement. You cannot do this deep level of review and recognition while doing the problems timed since under those conditions you are mainly just focused on thinking about selecting the correct answer and then moving on, thus not doing the high level pattern review. You especially want to carefully identify the relationship each trap answer has to the question in order to get familiar with the most commonly used types of tempting incorrect trap answers so that you are better able to recognize and avoid selecting them in the future.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”