Finished reading MLSAT lr 1-6

azditamo

Finished reading MLSAT lr 1-6

Postby azditamo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 pm

My question is should I drill the concepts now or when I finished the book?
I also plan on reading the PS LR book as well when I'm done with this book. Is there a correct way to read and work through these books and when to drill as well?

BlueLawyer

Re: Finished reading MLSAT lr 1-6

Postby BlueLawyer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:24 pm

I have read that it is a good idea to drill question types after you read about them in the textbooks. However, I just started studying for the test for the first time, so I'd also be interested to hear what some more experienced test takers think.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:03 pm

I recommend that you do some focused work on what you've learned about so far. If you're one of our students, you have the practice sets already arranged in your practice book (or Cambridge LSAT sells some sets already built out for you). Alternately, you can just take 5-10 older LSATs and look through them to find questions that fit the type you're working on. Doing that is a decent way of improving your recognition skills as well.

One important idea that is often ignored in test prep is that idea of spaced repetition. It's the idea of spacing out your practice sessions. So, do some work on necc. assumption questions (a focused set) but also come back and do a set a week later. Your brain works better that way.

Good luck!

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:I recommend that you do some focused work on what you've learned about so far. If you're one of our students, you have the practice sets already arranged in your practice book (or Cambridge LSAT sells some sets already built out for you). Alternately, you can just take 5-10 older LSATs and look through them to find questions that fit the type you're working on. Doing that is a decent way of improving your recognition skills as well.

One important idea that is often ignored in test prep is that idea of spaced repetition. It's the idea of spacing out your practice sessions. So, do some work on necc. assumption questions (a focused set) but also come back and do a set a week later. Your brain works better that way.

Good luck!

First of all your books are great and I mean that. Second I planned on reading the chapter then doing flaw s/w and assumption question one section each day 35
Questions each sitting untill I was -0. Thoughts? Also I'm having hard time grasping s/w questions and advice. Flaw and assumption are easy for me but those s/w I get tripped
Up on

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:30 pm

azditamo wrote:First of all your books are great and I mean that. Second I planned on reading the chapter then doing flaw s/w and assumption question one section each day 35
Questions each sitting untill I was -0. Thoughts? Also I'm having hard time grasping s/w questions and advice. Flaw and assumption are easy for me but those s/w I get tripped
Up on

I'm so glad to hear the books are helping.

-0 is a fine goal, but if right now you're at -8, then make your first goal -5, celebrate, and then re-set to -3. It's too stressful to spend the next few months measuring yourself against perfection.

Also, it's not just about right and wrong--which may seem ridiculous since we're talking about a standardized test. You want to understand the questions, the tempting answers, how the right answer works, etc. When you get one wrong don't think "crap!" think "great--let me see what I can learn from this one."

As for the S/W, you may be getting tripped up by the fact that they can bring in what feels like outside topics. Also, there's a lot of play on correlation/causation there, so re-read the bit on that if that's confusing you.

Onward!

azditamo

Postby azditamo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
azditamo wrote:First of all your books are great and I mean that. Second I planned on reading the chapter then doing flaw s/w and assumption question one section each day 35
Up on

I'm so glad to hear the books are helping.

-0 is a fine goal, but if right now you're at -8, then make your first goal -5, celebrate, and then re-set to -3. It's too stressful to spend the next few months measuring yourself against perfection.

Also, it's not just about right and wrong--which may seem ridiculous since we're talking about a standardized test. You want to understand the questions, the tempting answers, how the right answer works, etc. When you get one wrong don't think "crap!" think "great--let me see what I can learn from this one."

As for the S/W, you may be getting tripped up by the fact that they can bring in what feels like outside topics. Also, there's a lot of play on correlation/causation there, so re-read the bit on that if that's confusing you.

Onward!

Sounds good, if I have some problem with that section I mean let say I re-read that and do problems and still have a hard time on specific questions. Can I pm you or would I have to enlist your help in other words would I have to pay you or a manhatthan tutor to do so?

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:25 pm

azditamo wrote:Sounds good, if I have some problem with that section I mean let say I re-read that and do problems and still have a hard time on specific questions. Can I pm you or would I have to enlist your help in other words would I have to pay you or a manhatthan tutor to do so?

You can hit our geek thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195748

Or, post on our forums (there's a section for general questions): http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums

I accept payment only through barter :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”