For February LSAT: class + tutoring or just class?

HanShotFirst

For February LSAT: class + tutoring or just class?

Postby HanShotFirst » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 pm

I'll be taking the February LSAT and am wondering how I should go about preparing for it. I talked to some of the younger associates at my summer internship who said it's best not to even prepare on your own since the classes are specifically tailored to get you ready without burning you out. I'm not sure if there's much truth to that but I'm more curious about my next point:

I have the financial resources to do both a class and take private tutoring. Should I take a class from Dec-Feb, or from Oct-Dec with tutoring up until the date of the test? I figure a tutor can help me hone my skills but I am worried about the possibility of burning out.

SteelPenguin

Re: For February LSAT: class + tutoring or just class?

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:35 am

HanShotFirst wrote:I'll be taking the February LSAT and am wondering how I should go about preparing for it. I talked to some of the younger associates at my summer internship who said it's best not to even prepare on your own since the classes are specifically tailored to get you ready without burning you out. I'm not sure if there's much truth to that but I'm more curious about my next point:

I have the financial resources to do both a class and take private tutoring. Should I take a class from Dec-Feb, or from Oct-Dec with tutoring up until the date of the test? I figure a tutor can help me hone my skills but I am worried about the possibility of burning out.

I found a class useful to build a foundation for my eventual solo studying. Don't rely on the class time to make your improvements though. You get the most out of the class from the work and drilling you do at home. If you've already done a decent amount of self-study, skip the class because you'll get a lot of repeated information.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:I have the financial resources to do both a class and take private tutoring. Should I take a class from Dec-Feb, or from Oct-Dec with tutoring up until the date of the test? I figure a tutor can help me hone my skills but I am worried about the possibility of burning out.

That's going to strongly depend on how far you are from your target score. If you're 10-15 away, tough call. If you're 0-10 away, I would probably take the class leading up to the test. If you're more than 15, definitely take the Oct-Dec class so you can prep after that and have a much greater chance of hitting your target score.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm

either way you're going to have to spend a significant amount of time self-studying to get into the high 170's. As long as your aware of this fact going into the class then I don't think it'll hurt too much.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”