Should I Retake?

tbq1988

Should I Retake?

Postby tbq1988 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Hello everyone! I have read a few thing here on TLS regarding retakes but I would like to get some input on my situation. My goal is HYS but my softs are probably average at best (couple of years WE and a good amount of volunteer work but nothing out of the ordinary). My LGPA is 3.9x and I scored a 173 in June 2013 (LR -0, LG -4, RC -4) I feel like I can pretty much guarantee myself a 175+ if I go -0 on LG. Is it worth a retake? Is it worth the advantage of getting above median at YH? Thank you all for your insight!

oblig.lawl.ref

Re: Should I Retake?

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Wow. I haven't been in the admissions game for a while and I understand that your *goal* is HYS but I would not retake. If you really don't mind and don't have a lot going on (which would explain the lack of "softs") you can probably take in October but I personally wouldn't. The LSAT was a beast for me and I believe in enjoying life when you can. I think you may be in a good position to just apply and enjoy life while you can.

If you are lacking in softs maybe consider doing some law related stuff over the summer and not retaking. It will give you something to put on the resume, give you some actually valuable experience, and let you know how interested you are in law.

The thing about Y/S, at least when I applied, is that a real lack of softs may limit you to H regardless.

ETA: Sorry missed the W/E--ignore the softs part. The relaxing part may still be applicable.

tbq1988

Postby tbq1988 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for the advice! I was just going to post that I am working full time but I saw your edit :D Time isn't really my main concern though. I feel like I under-performed on the test because all four of my LG misses came on the last game. I had been pretty consistent in going -2 or -1 and somehow I went -4 :( . Of course I also feel good that I went -0 on LR when I normally go -1 or -2 so perhaps I should just feel happy about that. Still feeling torn on if I should retake. I would really like to know if there is any benefit from going from 173 to 175+ on a retake.

0831kf

Postby 0831kf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:48 am

As far as I know, unless you bring your LSAT above 75th, HYS doesn't really care that much. They have so many applicants with good number that they can pick people with good softs or whoever they want. Unless you're certain you can bring it above 176(their 75th), I wouldn't retake. It might be risky.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”