Teaching the LSAT

NeedADrink

Teaching the LSAT

Postby NeedADrink » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 pm

What are the lower limits to teach the LSAT for various companies? How hard is it to get these jobs? Does anyone have experience with using this as a night job and have any comments on it?

fuzzydunlap

Re: Teaching the LSAT

Postby fuzzydunlap » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Obviously the holy grail is Manhattan since they pay $100/hr. They also have the highest standards. They usually require that their teachers have prior teaching experience + a score in the 99th percentile. The hiring process consists of three rounds of interviews, a typical "tell me about yourself" chat usually over the phone or on skype where you also demonstrate an LSAT problem. The next step is the online audition where you have to teach a given problem to one of their LSAT instructors who role plays the part of the student. Usually, he throws some kind of stumbling block at you that you need to react to quickly. The final phase and the most difficult to pass is the in-person audition in New York. It consists of teaching a 10-20 minute topic of your choice that cannot be test prep related. They're looking for charismatic people who can make almost any topic seem interesting and can carry a 4-hour class. Then, they usually bring in 4-5 actual students from the office and have you teach them an LSAT problem you prepared. All in all it's pretty intense, and I think in a year they usually only hire around 18 people from something like 600 applicants.

Other companies like Kaplan and Princeton only require a score in the 90th percentile and pay between $20-$30 an hour.

buttes

Postby buttes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Powerscore requires 99 percentile. From memory tutoring was 50/hr and classes were 35/hr, but it's been a couple of years so it's a little hazy. I think it's pretty much have the required score and then don't be awful during phone interviews to land the job. No real teaching experience required. I tutored and taught a several week long class while working full time. It was pretty draining, but it practically doubled my income.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:20 pm

We require a 170+ on the LSAT as a baseline. After that, we'll have a phone conversation to get a feel for your personality. The next round after that involves you recording yourself teaching a couple LR questions so we can get a sense of your teaching style. If we like what we see, we'll invite you to a training session, which is still part of the hiring process. Over a long weekend, we'll have you train with the Blueprint method and receive feedback as to how you can improve your teaching style. At the end of the weekend, we make decisions as to who we can use as an instructor and who we will use as a tutor.

-Edit to add-
Payment - what everyone cares about! Each of our classes pays up to $100 an hour (tiered system based on class size) for 76 hours. You'll also get "first crack" at most tutoring from your class, which pays $50 an hour.

If you have any questions about working for Blueprint, shoot me a PM! We're always looking for new instructors.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”