Prep Course Length

Irundistance

Prep Course Length

Postby Irundistance » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Is a July-October prep course (Blueprint) enough time? I plan on taking the Oct LSAT. Thanks for your input!

Clearly

Re: Prep Course Length

Postby Clearly » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:58 pm

... kinda hard to say without more information.. where are you scoring? Where do you want to be scoring? I'm of the belief that a course should take half of your prep time, you should spend at least as much time practicing and perfecting as you do learning in my opinion.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Not trying to be presumptive, but this question, since it's lacking any info about your current scores, how much you've worked already, major weaknesses, how many hours per day the course meets, how many hours you'll be able to put in outside of class, etc., makes it sound like you expect the prep couse to magically make your score go up. It won't. Read any thread about disappointing scores and you'll see that a major and unfortunately common mistake is having that mentality.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:... kinda hard to say without more information.. where are you scoring? Where do you want to be scoring? I'm of the belief that a course should take half of your prep time, you should spend at least as much time practicing and perfecting as you do learning in my opinion.

Sorry about not including more initial info. I took a diagnostic and scored a 149. Being realistic, I definitely want to score at least a 160. My weakest section is the Logic Games.
Last edited by Irundistance on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:05 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:Not trying to be presumptive, but this question, since it's lacking any info about your current scores, how much you've worked already, major weaknesses, how many hours per day the course meets, how many hours you'll be able to put in outside of class, etc., makes it sound like you expect the prep couse to magically make your score go up. It won't. Read any thread about disappointing scores and you'll see that a major and unfortunately common mistake is having that mentality.

I should've included more info from the jump. I took a diagnostic and scored a 149. I've worked through the LGB and drilled but it was not clicking. Logic Games is my weakest section.

The course meets 3 times a week, 4 hours per day. The course begins this month and ends the first week of October. Its a Blueprint course. I'll be able to put in a lot of hours outside of class. I do not work, only have school, so around 20-25 hours a week to study. No, I don't expect the prep course to magically increase my score. I know it will be a lot of work. I've read the threads and will try to avoid the mistakes that were made.

zbollenb

Postby zbollenb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 pm

I used the blueprint online course and went from a 144 cold diagnostic to scoring a 167 in June. Blueprint is awesome. However, I will say that I used Blueprint for 5 months to get to that score.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:24 pm

zbollenb wrote:I used the blueprint online course and went from a 144 cold diagnostic to scoring a 167 in June. Blueprint is awesome. However, I will say that I used Blueprint for 5 months to get to that score.

Congrats on that score! I'm taking the class because I'm a person who learns better in a classroom setting, I cannot self-study or do an online course. How many hours per week did you study? And how quick did it take for you to catch on with Logic Games, Reading Comp, etc.? I do not work or have any other obligations, so I can devote a lot of time outside of class as well.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 am

Irundistance wrote:
zbollenb wrote:I used the blueprint online course and went from a 144 cold diagnostic to scoring a 167 in June. Blueprint is awesome. However, I will say that I used Blueprint for 5 months to get to that score.

Congrats on that score! I'm taking the class because I'm a person who learns better in a classroom setting, I cannot self-study or do an online course. How many hours per week did you study? And how quick did it take for you to catch on with Logic Games, Reading Comp, etc.? I do not work or have any other obligations, so I can devote a lot of time outside of class as well.

I like your acknowledging the amount of work required, but I'm still worried about the time restriction. The point of the class is to teach you what you need to perfect on your own time. If you are still learning things up to the week of the test, you will not likely have time to perfect them. Also, class or no class, self study will still make up the bulk of your gains, so try to develop the discipline to self study.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Irundistance wrote:

I like your acknowledging the amount of work required, but I'm still worried about the time restriction. The point of the class is to teach you what you need to perfect on your own time. If you are still learning things up to the week of the test, you will not likely have time to perfect them. Also, class or no class, self study will still make up the bulk of your gains, so try to develop the discipline to self study.

Thank you for your input. I see what you mean. The class ends 5 days prior to the Oct LSAT. If I don't feel prepared and am not scoring where I should be, I'll take the test in December instead. The class meets twice, sometimes three times a week, so I'll will put in the time in between classes/weeks to make sure I have the methods perfected through a lot of self-study.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Irundistance wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Irundistance wrote:

Thank you for your input. I see what you mean. The class ends 5 days prior to the Oct LSAT. If I don't feel prepared and am not scoring where I should be, I'll take the test in December instead. The class meets twice, sometimes three times a week, so I'll will put in the time in between classes/weeks to make sure I have the methods perfected through a lot of self-study.

Just as a side note - the last few lessons of our classes are review, so you won't be learning stuff right up until that last class. Instead, you'll be reviewing stuff that was already covered (and most instructors throw in their own high-level tips and tricks in those last classes that they might have covered in less depth when the material was new and you didn't have as firm a grasp on it).

If you have any specific questions about our classes, shoot me a PM! More than happy to answer them.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Irundistance wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Irundistance wrote:

Worth mentioning by the way that I think bp is the best in class option out there, my concern is simply the time you have to work with.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Okay that's great they have a good prep course. How long did you personally prep/how did your prep/and what range did you score in? If you don't mind me asking.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Irundistance wrote:Okay that's great they have a good prep course. How long did you personally prep/how did your prep/and what range did you score in? If you don't mind me asking.

If you're asking me, I prepped for a long time because I retook. I personally used Velocity LSAT and continue to recommend them for an online course, I worked very hard, and I scored well. I have had some pretty serious exposure to BP myself though, and for in-class options consider them the best out there after having seen most programs in and out.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:14 am

Does the prep course start in late July?

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Does the prep course start in late July?

It starts July 28th

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
Irundistance wrote:Okay that's great they have a good prep course. How long did you personally prep/how did your prep/and what range did you score in? If you don't mind me asking.

If you're asking me, I prepped for a long time because I retook. I personally used Velocity LSAT and continue to recommend them for an online course, I worked very hard, and I scored well. I have had some pretty serious exposure to BP myself though, and for in-class options consider them the best out there after having seen most programs in and out.

Thank you for your insight!

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:42 pm

If you could get your hands on the course books early, I'd recommend going ahead as much as possible and using most of the course as really good review/drill time.

Irundistance

Postby Irundistance » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:17 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:If you could get your hands on the course books early, I'd recommend going ahead as much as possible and using most of the course as really good review/drill time.

That's a good idea. It takes a few weeks for them to ship, but they'll be here before the course begins.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”