lalalany

Postby lalalany » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Last edited by lalalany on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

che3055

Re: Retaking PTs

Postby che3055 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Similar situation leading up to June.

It's not like I really remembered anything in particular, like answers or the logic behind questions, in most cases. I might read an LR question, and remember that yes, I did once do a question dealing with subject X, but nothing ever really tipped me off. The same was true of RC and LG. You should be fine to redo the same tests, but what I did was try to separate each PT from itself as much as I could.

The two downsides are this:

1. For questions/games/passages that you reviewed in-depth on the first go-round, you probably will remember enough to be biased towards the right answer.

2. The biggest advantage that this gives you, and the biggest way in which this will skew your retakes is timing. However subtly you may remember a question, that may not tip you to the right answer, but it will get you through a question/passage/game quicker.

Still, the advantage you get from remembering anything is pretty slight, and it's definitely worth doing them still.

Techsan23

Postby Techsan23 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

In my experience if you haven't seen the material in more than 2 months it will be relatively fresh. I was retaking pts with a two month gap and the scores weren't overly inflated. I took in December 2012 and started studying for June 2013 in March. My pt avg was a 172. I got a 169 in June and I missed 2 lr questions due to timing. (did last 2 questions in about 30 seconds) So the score was definitely within my pt range. I am retaking in October. I think the plan will be to give myself 30 minutes per section to compensate for the familiarity. I'll start with the 30's and those should be somewhat fresh since I haven't seen those in a while.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 pm

some people on this forum overplay the retaking PTs thing. retaking PTs is fine. I'm taking the LSAT in oct for the first time and my study plan involves taking 2 or so fresh PTs per week, but retaking them a second day in a row and then reviewing them. So Monday: PT, Tues: same PT, review, compare both sittings for questions I missed both times to give myself more info etc.

In your case you simply have to, lol, but I think it helps going through it over and over and over again. Run through the processes over and over.

JasonH

Postby JasonH » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 pm

This probably is a stupid idea and I wouldn't do it more than once or twice, but I took 1 or 2 tests and redid them on consecutive days because I was running out of material. I liked how the second time through I was able to see the patterns easier, and I think it helped me. Plus getting a 180 is a nice feeling, even if it doesn't really count.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”