Taking the LSAT for Non-Morning People

ScottRiqui

Re: Taking the LSAT for Non-Morning People

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:02 am

Sounds like someone managed to skate through undergrad without having to take an 8am class.

Seriously, I suspect that having to take an 8:30 test is going to pale compared to some of the stuff we'll have to do once we're in law school, not to mention once we're in the workplace.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:08 am

Sorry if anyone got offended; if you read my first post you would know that my sleep schedule centers mostly around work and school, not being lazy or whatever. *sigh*

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:09 am

ScottRiqui wrote:Sounds like someone managed to skate through undergrad without having to take an 8am class.

Seriously, I suspect that having to take an 8:30 test is going to pale compared to some of the stuff we'll have to do once we're in law school, not to mention once we're in the workplace.

I have pulled all nighters for work numerous times and in general don't mind waking up early. It is a completely story when we are talking about the most important career and even possibly life defining exam that one will ever take. It irks many of us.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:19 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Sounds like someone managed to skate through undergrad without having to take an 8am class.

I have pulled all nighters for work numerous times and in general don't mind waking up early. It is a completely story when we are talking about the most important career and even possibly life defining exam that one will ever take. It irks many of us.

Yeah, I don't mind groggily pulling myself out of bed in the morning and going about whatever responsibilities I have that day (albeit in a bit of a daze for a while), but I would rather be at maximum alertness for the LSAT given its importance. I was simply looking for other's techniques in achieving this alertness, not for advice on how to wake up period. I think that creating this thread was perfectly valid.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 am

bizzybone1313 wrote: The morning time for the LSAT does negatively impact people every year and it does suck.

Any evidence of this? You can't go by the curves, since those are set before the test is even administered. There would have to be a trend of superior performance on the June administrations compared to the other administrations for your claim to have merit.

Besides, we're not talking about having to get up at the butt-crack of dawn and roll right into the test. Showtime at the test center is 8:30, then they have to get everyone checked in and seated. Then there's the proctor reading the directions aloud as everyone bubbles/fills in the various forms and writes out the honesty declaration or whatever it's called. I'll be surprised if we're actually starting the test before 9:30.

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:51 am

LSACownsme wrote:
RuleSubstitution wrote:Wait, people are actually able to sleep before the LSAT?

haha same here! I can never sleep before anything exciting! I'm wired and wide awake before first day of class (every semester), flights (esp international), friends visiting, interviews - errrythinggg! we need to start a "sleep training club" haha

I just got to this post. I am exactly like you in this regard. It is definitely annoying; June was my best chance at prelsat sleep and instead my body decided to reject any and all attempts to fall asleep on time. Maybe 3 or 4 hours tossing and turning?
Pretty liberal estimate.

We'll see what happens with my retake. Lack of sleep probably better than diphenhydramine, which can cause "brain fog".

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:55 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:

I have avoided classes because they were before 10:00 AM. That's behind me. I am not ashamed of my undergrad lethargy.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:14 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:It is a bunch of bullshit in the first place that the LSAT is given in the afternoon only once and 3 times in the morning. It should at least be around 10:00 a.m. and not this 8:30 a.m. bullshit. There are all types of studies that show that little children don't learn that well at that time of the day and that schools should start later in the morning.

Actually, studies show little kids are morning people and are up earlier and it's not until adolescence that people go from being morning people to needing more sleep. Therefore it makes more sense to start elementary school earlier and high school later. The reason this doesn't happen is because of bus scheduling and the need to fit athletic practices/extra curriculars/etc after school. As for the LSAT, you're an adult who wants to be a lawyer, fucking suck it up. Like, seriously, if you can't deal with one early morning for a test find another profession.

P.S.: Bizzybone, the more I read your posts the happier I am I will never be in law school with you. You seem like someone I would never want to interact with. You also seem exceptionally self centered and self important.
Everyone else

ITT needs to learn that as a grown up you need to wake up. Get used to it.

Nothing in my quoted post indicates self centeredness or self importance. I am a pretty chill guy in person. I get along just fine with people. Thank you very much. Why u hatin? The GRE can be scheduled at more conveient times unlike the LSAT. Maybe one day Adcoms won't reward lazy people like you that couldn't even muster a 3.0 in college just because you scored high on an overweighted stupid test. The morning time for the LSAT does negatively impact people every year and it does suck.

Why don't you go ahead, get into an actual T14, perform well, get an SA and then come talk shit to me. For someone who hasn't actually accomplished anything much yet you talk a big game. And remember, sub 3.0 does not equal lazy, especially when that happened 10 years ago. Plenty of sub 3.0s I know crushed it in law school because there is something to prove to ourselves and others. Don't be such a whiny pain in the ass about a test just because you couldn't figure out a way to study for a test while working. I was working close to 60 hours a week and still managed to study and pull a 170+. My self centered, self important comment is really just an assessment of everything I have read you post over time here.

As for the morning test, if you can't get up and perform at 8 am maybe law school and the legal profession aren't for you.

xylocarp wrote:Sorry if anyone got offended; if you read my first post you would know that my sleep schedule centers mostly around work and school, not being lazy or whatever. *sigh*

OP, never thought you were lazy, but many of the comments here from others are just plain ridiculous. Heck, I don't even think people who hate getting up are lazy. I am the antithesis of a morning person. I tend to stay up super late and sleep in whenever I am on vacation, my point to people like Bizzybone and others is that as a grown up you need to deal with things like this. No one is making them take the LSAT or go to law school.

My recommendation, as someone said earlier I think, is to start getting up early a few days ahead of time so by the night before the test you are tired enough to sleep early and are on a solid wake up schedule.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”