Should I Request Handscoring? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Handscore

Do it
17%
Don't do it
67%
Not worth it
17%

Total votes: 12

hardrive6

New

Should I Request Handscoring?

Post by hardrive6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I got a 171.

Here's my breakdown:

LR1: -2
LG: -1
LR2: -5
LG EXP
RC: -2

While reviewing the IRR and comparing to my answer sheet, I noticed that for one of the questions, the machine scored A but the scan of my answer sheet shows bubbles for both A and B (it was a question I had been going back and forth on, and if memory serves, I think I had actually ended up filling in A, but both bubbles were probably fairly dark at that point).

A picture of the bubbles is here: http://postimg.org/image/ej5gcgrdj/

I think it might be worth it to request handscoring but because I would explain upfront that I had intended to mark B as my answer choice, I'm concerned about the prospect of the handscorer deciding that neither answer should be scored and therefore I would lose a point.

Thoughts?

PS - This should probably be in the "What are my chances" threads, but since it's also relevant to deciding whether to request handscoring, I'm a 3.2 LSDAS from a top liberal arts college in the northeast with 2+ years as a paralegal at a top law firm in NY and looking at possibly ED Penn + RD Columbia, Chicago, NYU, UVA, Duke, Nwestern, Cornell, Georgetown. Any and all constructive comments are appreciated.

PPS - This is my first time posting but I have followed this forum pretty consistently from June 9th through today. It is a fantastic group and an even better resource, so thanks to all who mod/post.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Re: Should I Request Handscoring?

Post by mindarmed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:33 pm

You bubbled A bro, it's much darker

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:40 pm

You bubbled A. They are not going to buy it. Don't waste your money.

hardrive6

New

Post by hardrive6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

It looks like I bubbled A and/or A is much darker because the scan of the answer sheet compensates for stray marks and then (I think) darkens the shapes of the marks that were given credit as answers. I guess my assumption is that handscoring would make use of the actual sheet, which might make it more of a toss-up. I don't disagree that it is likely a waste though. Appreciate the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Based on two statements in your post that I guess I won't quote, it sounds like you would sort of be borderline lying about your intent at the time of the bubbling, which is probably an argument against doing it.

AC Vegas

New

Post by AC Vegas » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Why would you lose a point? If you got it right why would you want it handscored?

hardrive6

New

Post by hardrive6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm

I'll rephrase: 'if memory serves -- which it probably doesn't'.

On the second reference, which I assume is to "I would explain upfront that I had intended to mark B," I guess I agree -- perhaps if I were to request handscoring it would be better to just make reference to the ambiguity of having those two marks on the sheet and request that the answer sheet be reviewed to see if the bubble for answer choice B should have been the one credited. Hard to argue any intention of dishonesty there.

Full disclosure: having read the LSAC handscoring page: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/handscoring.asp and prior posts in this and other forums' threads, it sounds as though the more persuasive the request, the more likely LSAC/the handscorer will be to consider a favorable change in score.

I do see your point though.

re losing a point: :oops: ...and since money is not an issue, I suppose I have nothing to lose by having it handscored.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:00 pm

stop being such a tryhard bro you got a 171, its a very good score and you will have a shot at Penn because they like preftigious UG + WE

hardrive6

New

Post by hardrive6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:49 pm

armedwithamind wrote:stop being such a tryhard bro you got a 171, its a very good score and you will have a shot at Penn because they like preftigious UG + WE
True story -- the hustle stops here.

New

Post by 92653 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:03 am

So, you bubbled A. You erased B. As someone who erased the wrong answer in a section and bubbled the right one, that's exactly how the two look. I know it's probably darker than you remember, but that's what it is.

However, if you're chrometophobic, I'm sure LSAC will be glad to take some of your money from you. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”