edit

meadow201

edit

Postby meadow201 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 am

edit
Last edited by meadow201 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Re: taking the test @ your own college?

Postby Br3v » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 am

meadow201 wrote:convenient or nerve wracking because you'll know people in the room?

thinking about either taking the next one @ my own college (a 10 min walk) or else a 30min train ride away.

I figure it's not like I'm gonna wake up 15 min before the test anyway so might as well take it at my local T14?

I liked to take it not at my school because it put me in the "today is a special day" mode which I find helps me perform better.

EzraFitz

Postby EzraFitz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 am

I liked taking it at my school for the simple fact that I had already taken dozens of exams in the exact testing room. I knew every creak, where to sit, everything. It really made the difference for me.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:21 am

I decided against it, mostly because I didn't want to see anyone I knew. The last thing I needed was to have my game thrown off by pre-test banter in the halls.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 am

I did both, and felt much more comfortable at my own college, and got much better score that time (which may be unrelated but maybe not). Being familiar with the testing room/location really helped my nerves and I actually didn't see anyone I knew the entire time I was in the testing building.

livefromannarbor

Postby livefromannarbor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:26 am

I did it at my own college for the same reasons other posters have said. Also, I specifically did not want to feel like it was anything but an ordinary college exam, so I wouldn't stress about it more than necessary/already going to happen. I knew where everything was already - including a less crowded bathroom to go to before the exam while everyone else was trying to use the same set. It was a great decision for me. But, it depends on what you are looking for.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 am

I was able to PT in the room that the test would be administered in. It can help, but if you think it'll be a distraction, going somewhere else is fine.

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 am

I liked it, since I killed tests in UG there I felt more confident on the LSAt.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm

I knew that the testing room at my own college was comfortable, well lit, and provided plenty of space for each test taker, so taking at my own college was an easy decision. It was also the closest by around half an hour. I had graduated before taking the test though, so I didn't have to worry about recognizing anyone. If I were you, I'd try and find out what the testing conditions are in your school, and then decide based on that.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm

I took it at my undergrad. Granted I had been out of school a few years. But I felt a lot more comfortable taking it in a classroom where I had taken tons of exams before. Scored 5 points higher there, I think it might have contributed a little bit.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

I liked it. I was familiar with the spaces, didn't have to rush around a strange new place on test morning (and stress myself out), and I knew that the halls were all at least clean, well-lit, and usually quiet.

If you're worried about running into people, it's easy to avoid getting caught up in conversation by bringing a few questions go over before the test starts. When someone recognizes you, say hey and then put your face right back in your papers. They'll understand.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 pm

My college didn't offer the LSAT, but everyone I knew was going to take it at a university nearby and I chose to take it somewhere else. I tend to be pretty calm before exams (regardless of how prepared I am), but having to participate in mass freak-outs with people I know kind of, in turn, freaks me out.

I went to a school a little further away, made sure I knew where all the buildings were, etc and how I would get there and I felt a lot better than I would have had I been somewhere with more familiar people, etc. But it's really up to how you function as a person.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”