Advice from June 2013 takers for October re takers

Erickt26

Advice from June 2013 takers for October re takers

Postby Erickt26 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:15 pm

If you rocked the June LSAT please provide some guidance for us who are still in the LSAT journey. Post your score, length of study, and a piece of advice for us re takers.

Thank you.

Quest4Knowledge

Re: Advice from June 2013 takers for October re takers

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I approached studying for the LSAT like it was a job. 9-5 every day for 40 days. Obviously this technique may not be feasible for everyone, but if you're able to - I found it was very beneficial (173).

Good luck!
Last edited by Quest4Knowledge on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erickt26

Postby Erickt26 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Erickt26 wrote:If you rocked the June LSAT please provide some guidance for us who are still in the LSAT journey. Post your score, length of study, and a piece of advice for us re takers.

Thank you.

Nice. What was your daily routine like? Where did you study? Materials you used?

soj

Postby soj » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Remember to share any advice here, too, for posterity's sake.

Quest4Knowledge

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I used the Kaplan books, found they were quite helpful (at least initially, when learning the strategies to attack each question type).

The schedule changed throughout the month, but it went somewhat like this:

1) Started out with learning each individual question type and then practising those question types in isolation until I felt comfortable.
2) Started practising individual sections. Spent about 40% on RC, 40% on LR, and 20% LG (as LG was a strength)
3) Full-length, 5-section tests (If I only had a 4-section test I would do a section of RC and then immediately start the test).

(will post something similar on thread linked above)

catahoula

Postby catahoula » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:30 pm

Deleted for anonymity
Last edited by catahoula on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:48 pm

catahoula wrote:I scored a 177 on the June LSAT (first time). I would say I took ~8 official practice tests all in all. Maybe 4 or 5 of those I took all the way through. I didn't bother adding a 5th section or anything like that; I'm not a person who has too much trouble with focus so I figured I'd do all right on the real thing even with one more section than I was used to. Logic Games was definitely my weakest section from the start (and remained my weakest section on the real thing with -2), so I bought the Powerscore Bible book and worked through it semi-methodically. While I didn't end up using all of their diagramming advice, I think the reason it helped me so much was that it forced me to do a bunch of different LG problems and get used to the way I had to think. As far as RC and LR went, simple practice also seemed to be the key. I learned how quickly I had to work to finish comfortably in 35 minutes and didn't really have any timing issues on the actual test.

I'm not sure how many total hours I put into studying, but it was definitely nothing close to what some people here have done! I "started studying" maybe a month and a half out (in other words, I bought the books) but I actually got down to business 3-4 weeks before the LSAT. If I had to give any advice I suppose it would be to just practice real LSAT questions as much as possible until you get to a score you're comfortable with.

lol

Erickt26

Postby Erickt26 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:39 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
catahoula wrote:I scored a 177 on the June LSAT (first time). I would say I took ~8 official practice tests all in all. Maybe 4 or 5 of those I took all the way through. I didn't bother adding a 5th section or anything like that; I'm not a person who has too much trouble with focus so I figured I'd do all right on the real thing even with one more section than I was used to. Logic Games was definitely my weakest section from the start (and remained my weakest section on the real thing with -2), so I bought the Powerscore Bible book and worked through it semi-methodically. While I didn't end up using all of their diagramming advice, I think the reason it helped me so much was that it forced me to do a bunch of different LG problems and get used to the way I had to think. As far as RC and LR went, simple practice also seemed to be the key. I learned how quickly I had to work to finish comfortably in 35 minutes and didn't really have any timing issues on the actual test.

I'm not sure how many total hours I put into studying, but it was definitely nothing close to what some people here have done! I "started studying" maybe a month and a half out (in other words, I bought the books) but I actually got down to business 3-4 weeks before the LSAT. If I had to give any advice I suppose it would be to just practice real LSAT questions as much as possible until you get to a score you're comfortable with.

lol

Yup.

lalalany

Postby lalalany » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Last edited by lalalany on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 pm

There is no substitute for actual time spent with the tests. In my prep I found myself tempted to buy multiple guides and research strategies instead of actually reviewing PT's or drilling. There is not a "cure-all" method for any of the sections- once you find a method that works for you stick with it until you're going -0.

MrBlueSky!

Postby MrBlueSky! » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”