how to review basic ordering games mistakes? blueprint book

philly93

how to review basic ordering games mistakes? blueprint book

Postby philly93 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:20 am

I have only recently started studying for the june 2014 lsat and have chosen to go with BluePrint for Logic Games. I have just covered the first type of game: basic ordering. I worked through the sample games provided in the book and seem to have a good understanding of the games. I constantly get the initial set up of the game perfectly right but I seem to have most trouble with the conditional questions. I figure before I move onto other game types, it would be good if I drill basic ordering and ensure I have it down. So there are 9 games from all the PTs that BP categorizes as "Basic ordering". I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print them out and work through all of them for the next week or so and make sure I understand those games inside out before moving on to the next section? I also do not know how to review my mistakes. When I look at it right after, it's really obvious why I missed it and think to myself "oh yeah, I can get that usually". How should I be thinking as I review them? Should I be justifying each answer or just justify the correct answer? Also, how many copies of each game should i be printing out and working on? Can i also use 7sage as a resource?

sorry for all those questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

bp shinners

Re: how to review basic ordering games mistakes? blueprint book

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:38 pm

philly93 wrote:I have only recently started studying for the june 2014 lsat and have chosen to go with BluePrint for Logic Games. I have just covered the first type of game: basic ordering. I worked through the sample games provided in the book and seem to have a good understanding of the games. I constantly get the initial set up of the game perfectly right but I seem to have most trouble with the conditional questions. I figure before I move onto other game types, it would be good if I drill basic ordering and ensure I have it down. So there are 9 games from all the PTs that BP categorizes as "Basic ordering". I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print them out and work through all of them for the next week or so and make sure I understand those games inside out before moving on to the next section? I also do not know how to review my mistakes. When I look at it right after, it's really obvious why I missed it and think to myself "oh yeah, I can get that usually". How should I be thinking as I review them? Should I be justifying each answer or just justify the correct answer? Also, how many copies of each game should i be printing out and working on? Can i also use 7sage as a resource?

sorry for all those questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Thanks for picking up our book! Feel free to shoot me a PM with any specific questions.

I think that's a solid practice strategy going forward. As far as review goes, you should be mainly justifying the correct answer, which also invalidates the incorrect ones (if I want to prove what 2+2 equals, I only have to prove 4, not disprove 5, 6, etc...). Sounds like you're already doing that. Then comes the important step - working on finding the most efficient way at getting to that answer. You don't want to just know why you're right - you want to know how to get the right answer with as little work as possible. If you brute-forced it, figure out how you could have made that deduction up front. If you didn't, figure out where you messed up with the deductions you did make. This will help you get faster not just because you'll see ways to get faster, but your brain will also start to pick up on the patterns of where the LSAT hides those deductions, especially in conditional questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”