Getting every science question on LR wrong

Getting every science question on LR wrong

Postby WaltGrace83 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 am

Yesterday, I took my first full/timed LR section (PT50 S2). I did okay, not finishing one question, not answering four questions (I didn't want to answer it and just take my complete guess as a correct answer if I got it correct), simply getting one question wrong, ultimately going -6 for a 19/25 score. In my opinion, it isn't too shabby considering I have only been studying for a few weeks but I also could have just been lucky with a few of these. Anyway, heres an issue I spotted when reviewing this section: all the questions that I just completely couldn't understand (4 of the 6 I got wrong), were all science related questions! For some reason, I just can't wrap my head around them! I know that these questions are independent of knowledge and I know that there is no difference between a science, economics, philosophy, etc. type question. However, I just need some advice on what I can do to work on this. Maybe if I could wrap my head around these questions, I can go only 3 or 4 wrong on a section as opposed to 6 wrong.

Re: Getting every science question on LR wrong

Postby guano » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 am

It might just be a coincidence.
Either that, or your subconscious hatred of science is fucking you over.

Whatever your science teacher did to you when you were a kid, it's time for you to seek help

Postby 06162014123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 am

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Otunga » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 am

While I am interested in some science as it is (evolutionary biology, astronomy, etc.), there is some that just bores me to shit (think medical science and pure chemistry). But the best thing for me has been to feign interest in the material for the purpose of LR and RC that talk about these subjects. Do your best to read the scientific material as you would something you have genuine interest in. Ask questions about it and engage with it analytically as you would any other thing. As tempting as it is to allow your eyes to glaze over and say "fuck this shit", you're only hurting your score.

And actually, on science-related questions that place heavy emphasis on conditional logic, even better. Just make sure you read the conditional indicators properly and diagram it.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 pm

RedShift wrote:Don't get bogged down in the big words and don't read it like you would a textbook. Rephrase each sentence in simpler terms as you go.

And those science words, for the most part, don't matter. You can replace most of them with nonsense words and the question is still the same. If something sounds extremely science-y, it's usually a red herring on the LSAT, meant to distract you from what's important. Focus on logical force, and search for causality and comparisons - those three things will, for the most part, answer any science question.

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:39 pm

try simplifying terms.

"when rathiomorphoplasty does airionamawhaterver, zigostics results"

when R does A then Z.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”