Where do you go to study (if not your room)?

gottago

Where do you go to study (if not your room)?

Postby gottago » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Where do you go to study (if not your room)?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Everywhere. Don't actively avoid loud places. Libraries, cafes, anywhere with a table..

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Everywhere. Don't actively avoid loud places. Libraries, cafes, anywhere with a table..

This.

I used to take PTs right in the middle of starbucs to get used to noise. If you can concentrate in that environment you will be good in the testing room.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Go to Ikea . . . tell them you are "trying out" one of their desks

gottago

Postby gottago » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:19 am

deleted

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:33 am

gottago wrote:OK but I'm not looking to condition myself to a possibly noisy testing environment.
I'm looking for a relatively quiet place to study.

Any suggestions?

I found the quiet floor of my college library was the perfect amount of distraction when I first started studying.

gottago

Postby gottago » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 am

deleted

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 am

Doesn't any university close to you have summer library hours? Worst case, you may have to go to a starbucks or similar place and just blast trance music on some headphones while you study. Certain songs are pretty effective in canceling out other noise without actually distracting you from your work, and putting a song on repeat puts you into a badass, machine-like study trance. Your brain turns to mush in a few hours though.

gottago

Postby gottago » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 am

deleted

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:36 am

gottago wrote:they might but I doubt they're open to non-students (of that particular university)

You should look it up. I'm traveling now, but before leaving I would study at the fancy-pants school (probably not by TLS standards) in my hometown, of which I'm not an alumnus. It was summer hours and they still let me in after scanning my driver's license. Just call all your favorite spots and ask.

Another option is finding a friend/study buddy who is serious about studying and then working at his or her house. I did that often too, as my place is not ideal for studying for various reasons. Seriously though, studying at a friend's house is super risky. The aforementioned friend is the most studious person I know, and we still often called it a day after an hour or two of studying and, naturally, drank for the next 6 hours.

Now i'm having to study in Colombia, often with neighbors loudly singing in Spanish all morning, a furniture shop owner downstairs yelling out his daily deals all afternoon, and on top of that, an almost constant compulsion to release the flaming diarrhea festering in my bowels (probably caused by the street empanadas stuffed with mystery meat). I got some solid studying in today. If I can do it, so can you.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:52 am

I often study in my room.

Then about an hour later... I find it to be too depressing, so I'll go study by the beach.

I live here though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia and getting to the beach is no big deal. It's about a 90 second walk.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:20 am

Two hours later, I'm reading about a lava field in Idaho. Thanks a lot louie.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 am

superdingle2000 wrote:

Two hours later, I'm reading about a lava field in Idaho. Thanks a lot louie.

:D Now that's funny.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:02 am

Most schools will allow you to use their facilities during regular business hours at the very least. Not sure if thats just for public universities.

Source: MSU student who took full advantage of UMich grad and law libraries 6 hours a day 7 days a week while studying for the lsat.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am

isuperserial wrote:Most schools will allow you to use their facilities during regular business hours at the very least. Not sure if thats just for public universities.

Source: MSU student who took full advantage of UMich grad and law libraries 6 hours a day 7 days a week while studying for the lsat.

I know at least some privates will let you in. I think it may have to do more with location than public/private. For instance, I went to a private college in a real small town and the university library basically seconded as a public library for the local community. Where I'm from is more suburban, but our local state school is the same way. But my gf, who im with now and is in a big city, her school wont let anyone in without a student ID card. Obviously this is just conjecture based on my experiences, but yeah OP just call/try to walk in, see if you can.

Also, from my studying experiences, I'll second what Most Dangerous said about noise not being a bad thing. In addition, I know this will sound hyper crazy, but I took all my PTs in an enclosed, isolated cubicle when I was studying. Found the open space of the testing lecture hall really really disconcerting. If I had to do it again, I would only take PTs in open spaces, or mix it up so the setting on test day wont throw you off.

Lastly, this might not be an option, but after I sat for mine I realized I could have been studying in the exact place the test was administered the whole time. At least check into that to see if its a possibility. Good luck!

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 am

Back porch. The gentle sound of lawn mowers, ducks quacking and cats fighting always brought peace to my study sessions.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 am

gottago wrote:OK but I'm not looking to condition myself to a possibly noisy testing environment.
I'm looking for a relatively quiet place to study.

Any suggestions?

The problem with that, of course, is that once you decide you only want to study in "ideal" conditions, you become fixed on those conditions. It's like picky eating. If you eat a turkey sandwich every day for lunch, if you ever break that routine it throws you off completely. If you don't start studying in diverse conditions now, even if you only "want to study," you're going to screw yourself over in the long run.
Study at the mall. Study at the library. Study outside the bathroom while a sibling is showering and singing Alicia Keyes. Don't fix yourself to any one location.

Study in your bedroom. Get a fan. I started studying last summer in an NYU dorm room, without air conditioning. The kind of heat that keeps you sweating while you shower. It's not fun, but it made me realize that the biggest distraction for me is temperature. If a room is too hot, my brain turns off. I now study in the hottest rooms in my house.

Go where you can. Just carry a prep book with you and open it whenever you have free time. I study in the car sometimes when I'm riding in the passenger's seat on long trips.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am

Many university libraries will let non-students in. Likewise, you can go to almost any uni and sit down in their campus center or similar. I used do to this type of thing all the time. It's also possible to just walk on in to classroom buildings at a lot of schools. I'd suggest you go on over to the nearest university or college, and see if you can walk into their library unchallenged. If you cannot, then go to their campus center. I agree with an above poster - this tends to be a lot easier to do outside of the major cities.

You can also normally use any public library at all, so if there are any near you, you should be able to just walk in and sit down.

On nice days, I study outdoors in parks. Many have picnic tables or bleachers you can sit on. I like to sit in the shade, to eliminate glare on the page, so I tend to bring a chair or even just a bag or piece of cardboard to sit on.

On wet days, during my lunch hour from work, I'll even study in my car.

Pete Venkman

Postby Pete Venkman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:17 am

I really found public libraries to be the best. Sometimes they attract interesting characters, but get some earplugs and get to it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

Haha I had a really unique study spot when I was studying. I'd sit by myself in a 220 seat historical opera house theater built in 1881, to study.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 am

I love studying on public transportation. Makes me feel like im getting somewhere, literally.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

I rented office space. 3 small kids at home and library in my town doesn't open until 10am. It was my only choice.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:I rented office space. 3 small kids at home and library in my town doesn't open until 10am. It was my only choice.

This is the action of a crazy person with too much money. :|

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

I have a full four person table as a desk in the middle of my living room. On the table I have about 6 folders filled with all the drills and practice tests I have completed, LG bible, LR bible, Green LSAC book, pink LSAC book, PS's full length course books, a collection of the classic utilitarians major works (Bentham and Mill), a copy of John Rawl's A Theory of Justice, a copy of Hayek's Road to Serfdom, and most importantly, a bust of Virgil with a miniature strawberry I picked from my garden hanging on Virgil's neck, a most illustrious adornment.

Wish I cared enough to upload a picture of my workspace because its pretty awesome. Maybe if I get bored I'll post a picture.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”