Taking December 2013 LSAT

Taking December 2013 LSAT

Postby Sunkist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I have previously taken the LSAT 4 times several years ago.

First time I cancelled, second time I scored a 149, third time I scored a 142 (February test), fourth time I scored a 149.

Is it possible from now till the December LSAT for me to bring my score up to 162 or higher?

Re: Taking December 2013 LSAT

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:35 pm

Sure, if you study your ass off-

Here's something I wrote earlier that I'll copy/paste for simplicity's sake. But given the fact that you're not doing all that great on the LSAT, you should probably not choose to take the Dec. one.

Get materials from http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bookstore/ ... lications/

LSAT prep is expensive, esp. if you're not good at it from the start. Just accept this and understand that getting a good LSAT score, regardless of your ambition and target school, generally pays you back greatly in terms of scholarship money. A difference of 5-6 points may mean thousands of money you save on tuition. Great investment if you get 4-5k for every couple hundred dollars you spend, no?

For LR prep (and just prep in general I suppose) I strongly advise the following-

1) Read the Manhattan LSAT LR book. Do all the questions within. You don't have to be thorough this time through- You're merely trying to understand the big picture and how the question types work. The PS book is too technical and "gamey" to be of genuine use for people who struggle with the LR (-10+ on combined sections consistently). You need to be spending time thoroughly understanding the question types. I felt that the PS book rather tries to teach you tactics and methods instead of trying to get you to understand the concepts and material.

This should take a week or two at most. Study other things along with this.

2) Do a PT or two. Full 5 sections, always. 4 sections simply do not force your mind to exert itself as much as 5 does. The point of these are to establish new base-lines. You should have been studying the LSAT for 2-3 weeks by now and, and you're no longer a complete newbie at the LSAT unlike when you did your diagnostic. Hopefully your score is a couple of points higher, but don't expect too much. Esp. LG. LG will probably still break you, unless you did well the first time =D

3) Review the PT or two you did. Spend time seeing what LR family groups you're bad at, and why you're bad at them, etc. You're trying to establish exactly what your weaknesses and strength are. Be absolutely honest with yourself. Best do this immediately after taking the test, when why you chose answers are still fresh in your mind. You should write them down. What caused you to choose X answer is actually really fucking important, and the sooner you take note of this, the better. You'll likely see a pattern. If you don't, then either you're scoring -2 or 3 on the combined sections or you're not looking hard enough.

Simply stated- I guarantee you have a pattern as to why you chose answers (there will probably be variances for question types- patterns for assumption family, patterns for method of reasoning, etc). I also guarantee that you won't spot them the first time around. So be thorough. Spotting them will literally cut months off your study time.

4) Go through the MLSAT LR book again. This time, you're going to go chapter by chapter, exactly the way it's outlined in the book. Read the chapter thoroughly. Ask questions on TLS whenever you run into something that is even the slightest bit confusing. Once you're done reading the chapter, start doing the appropriate packet from Cambridge LSAT, rereading the chapter as necessary. I don't think it particularly matters how you divide them up; your only goal here is to know exactly how the question type works. You want to know the common patterns that LSAC likes to use, from the way the stimulus is worded to the common wrong answers they use. You want to know why each answer choice is wrong.

Goal with the packets is to get to a point where you can get virtually every diff 1-3 questions right. Ideal would be getting all the diff 4 ones right too, but that can come later. They're rare and you're wasting time better spent elsewhere.

This can take months; it depends on your knowledge of logical reasoning in general. Ideally you should finish within 2 months. Longer is fine; just don't take the LSAT until you're prepared or don't mind getting anything below a perfect score!

4.5) Read the conditional logic chapter everyday until you memorized it. You'll thank me later.

5) Once you go through the book like this, start doing timed PTs. Ideally 3-4 a week, but emphasis is heavily on you thoroughly understanding why the answers are wrong, etc. Review perfectly. Much more important than doing a bunch of PTs.

6) Take the LSAT and win at life.

The above also applies to LG. LG really should be taken exactly as the chapters present them in either PS LGB or the MLSAT LG book.

The above is basically what I got from reading a bunch of shit here on TLS, most notably TheNoodleyOne's guide and TLS1776's thread and what near perfect scorers did. I really wish someone told me to do things like the above when I started my prep and also pointed me to 7sage and the MLSAT forum. I would have saved a lot of valuable time.

Postby alexrodriguez » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:54 am

I don't want to sound rude here, but I think the fact that you've taken the LSAT four times and have failed to produce a decent score is indicative that law school may not be the appropriate career route for you.

If you think this is not true then prove me wrong.

I wish you the best of luck.

Postby Balthy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 am

Sunkist wrote:I have previously taken the LSAT 4 times several years ago.

First time I cancelled, second time I scored a 149, third time I scored a 142 (February test), fourth time I scored a 149.

Is it possible from now till the December LSAT for me to bring my score up to 162 or higher?

How well did you study for these previous takes?

Postby Clearly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:45 am

Really comes down to how much work you put in to the prior takes... If you took them cold (which would be foolish to do three times), you have room for improvement. If you have worked your ass off, and are running out of prep materials, I fear law school might not be a wise choice for you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”