The LG Conundrum

jaglsat2013

Re: The LG Conundrum

Postby jaglsat2013 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:36 pm

magickware wrote:
jaglsat2013 wrote:Is it safe to say that the "Advanced Linear Games" will always take longer than other games, and so one should give ~12 mins to them? And that way the setup for them can be given up to 5 mins? I have always found that there is a lot to infer in these games.

No.

All games can be completed in under 10 minutes. Only the worst games in existence should take more than 10.

And your inference making should be more of a process that you follow than a strict time you keep yourself to.

Basically, if you're staring at the paper for more than 10 seconds while on the BP or making inferences, then go straight to the questions. If you're sitting and staring at the paper for more than 10 seconds while doing the question, then you probably missed an inference and should go back.

Imo, it is always preferable to be brute-forcing questions than wasting time looking for inferences.

This tells me that clearly, I am spinning my wheels when thinking. Thanks!

RuleSubstitution

Postby RuleSubstitution » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:40 pm

jaglsat2013 wrote:Is it safe to say that the "Advanced Linear Games" will always take longer than other games, and so one should give ~12 mins to them? And that way the setup for them can be given up to 5 mins? I have always found that there is a lot to infer in these games.

Easy games and difficult ones will warrant different timing, but you should work on getting faster at both. When the real thing comes, you shouldn't freak out when a game takes you longer than the others. That's typical. But that game doesn't necessarily have to be "advanced linear" game or what have you.

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 pm

jaglsat2013 wrote:
magickware wrote:

No.

All games can be completed in under 10 minutes. Only the worst games in existence should take more than 10.

And your inference making should be more of a process that you follow than a strict time you keep yourself to.

Basically, if you're staring at the paper for more than 10 seconds while on the BP or making inferences, then go straight to the questions. If you're sitting and staring at the paper for more than 10 seconds while doing the question, then you probably missed an inference and should go back.

Imo, it is always preferable to be brute-forcing questions than wasting time looking for inferences.

This tells me that clearly, I am spinning my wheels when thinking. Thanks!

Another thing to keep in mind that, iirc, Velocity LSAT LG-method is based almost entirely on brute-forcing things, and people report great success with it. Frequently a lot of people who have a hard time on LG are just spinning their wheels looking for an inference when there may not be one in the first place; or it's so insignificant that it's rather pointless in the end.

The greatest inferences tend to be those that just come naturally as you combine rules and information in the stimulus together. I mean, how else are you supposed to arrive at inferences? You have to take what's given and see how they work with one another. This is the basis for all inferences.

So, if you can't see an inference quickly, then either you're unaware of them (which can be solved by just reviewing properly and memorizing common inferences), or they don't even exist. In both cases going straight to the question is better than spending 4-5 minutes trying to tease out an inference.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”