If one LR section is easier, is the other harder?

vuthy

If one LR section is easier, is the other harder?

Postby vuthy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Sorry -- couldn't think of a better way to ask this in the title. Basically what I'm asking is this: When trying to assess our progress on LR, is it right to say that we should do two LR sections from the same PT and take the total wrong -- rather than taking LR sections individually as a measurement? It seems to me that the test writers think of LR as a single section of ~50 questions, and then divide it up roughly (but not exactly) evenly in terms of difficulty. So if you just grab LR sections from random PTs, one at a time, you could end up with a run of "easier" sections or "harder" sections, which would be misleading.

(I know that for many of you, you're getting between 0 and -2 wrong, so this is kind of a moot point. But for me, I tend to get about 7 wrong total in a given PT -- but it's almost always like 5 and 2 or 6 and 1 -- rarely 4 and 3.)

Does this make sense what I'm asking?

magickware

Re: If one LR section is easier, is the other harder?

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 am

From what I was told, each test's difficulty is designed so that they are self-contained in terms of difficulty. So if the LG is very easy overall, then one or two of the other sections will probably be more difficult.

And I know what you mean. For the longest time I was getting 4-5 wrong on one LR section, 1 or 0 wrong on the other. But upon review I always saw that my mistakes were because of inattention/falling to simple tricks on my part, moreso than the question being more difficult. I also noticed that it was always the later LR section where I got 4 or 5 wrong.

Regarding the content of your first para- I don't think it matters. If you understand the material, then all questions are solvable. The difficulty shouldn't matter at all in your calculations once you get past the learning stage.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:47 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vuthy

Postby vuthy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks. I do get that "easier" and "harder" are often tester specific terms. But I was just curious if, in general, folks have the sense that one LR section in a give PT is harder than the other. (Again, this is more about figuring out which sections to drill, and whether to always try to do two from the same PT in tandem.)

Postby 92653 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:00 am

This is an interesting question, one I never thought about before, really. FWIW, I got 2 wrong on one LR section and none on the other on the June test, so maybe one is harder. As an added fun fact, the watered down "LSAT-India" for Indian law schools has 5 options per question on one LR section and only 4 on the other. So in that case, one is literally easier.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”