Take a third time?

jwg6x6

Take a third time?

Postby jwg6x6 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:26 pm

I took the Feb test and scored about 8 points lower than my PTs (which i took many of in realistic conditions). Just took the June test and obviuosly have not received the score yet. If i score low, is there any way it would be worth it to take the test a third time?

crumpetsandtea

Re: Take a third time?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:30 pm

jwg6x6 wrote:I took the Feb test and scored about 8 points lower than my PTs (which i took many of in realistic conditions). Just took the June test and obviuosly have not received the score yet. If i score low, is there any way it would be worth it to take the test a third time?

Depends on a variety of things:

1) What is your ideal score
2) How did you prepare for each test
3) How many PTs did you do and what were the "Realistic conditions" you did them under and what was your PT average
4) What was your Feb score? What is your June score?
5) What is your GPA

Typically a retake is worth it though.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magickware

Postby magickware » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm

My understanding is that retakes don't matter for most schools, provided that you don't have bizarre-ass fluctuations (First is 170, second is 164ish, third is 170+) and you don't take an excessive amount of tests (4 or more from what I've read through TLS).

Basically, anything that forces admissions to question your highest LSAT score is bad.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am

magickware wrote:My understanding is that retakes don't matter for most schools, provided that you don't have bizarre-ass fluctuations (First is 170, second is 164ish, third is 170+) and you don't take an excessive amount of tests (4 or more from what I've read through TLS).

Basically, anything that forces admissions to question your highest LSAT score is bad.

That fluctuation isn't bizarre enough to worry about (a 165, 143, 179 would probably raise some eyebrows). And it's very difficult these days to take the test more than 3 times, unless you wait a couple years.

So, to OP, I would retake if you're substantially (3 or more points) below your PT average. Heck, I might suggest a retake if you're 2 points below it.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am

I think you should retake. Not only did you get your score as something far far below what your PT's indicate as your potential, but there's also a solid chance that you can even improve your work before the next test comes up.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:11 am

If the score is low, you need to do some SERIOUS self reflection on why you can't seem to perform under test conditions and then change something.

Going in and doing the same thing and expecting a higher score will likely be fruitless. Changing something about how you take the test is more likely to yield results.

Wait until you get your score and then analyze.

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
jwg6x6 wrote:I took the Feb test and scored about 8 points lower than my PTs (which i took many of in realistic conditions). Just took the June test and obviuosly have not received the score yet. If i score low, is there any way it would be worth it to take the test a third time?

3) How many PTs did you do and what were the "Realistic conditions" you did them under and what was your PT average
5) What is your GPA

Statistically speaking, a retake is only worth it above the mid 160s..

if your score is about the same as before, I'd put some more time between yourself and the next test or reevaluate your options.

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:If the score is low, you need to do some SERIOUS self reflection on why you can't seem to perform under test conditions and then change something.

Going in and doing the same thing and expecting a higher score will likely be fruitless. Changing something about how you take the test is more likely to yield results.

Wait until you get your score and then analyze.

Good advice.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 am

myscoreonmysleeve wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

5) What is your GPA

Statistically speaking, a retake is only worth it above the mid 160s..

if your score is about the same as before, I'd put some more time between yourself and the next test or reevaluate your options.

Annnd that's why his ideal score, his PT average, and his Feb/June score matter. Typically the people asking for retakes on this site tend to be scoring in the low to mid 160s or higher -- at least, that's from what I've seen (not a super frequent on-topic poster).

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:15 am

Crumpets, we don't disagree. I honestly just doubt OP realistically simulated testing conditions. Did he take 5 section ptests, and how long were the breaks between sections?

I am not sure about GPA, but maybe it can tell us something about their commitment to studying. "Splitters" are pretty common on this site as well.

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 am

Edit
Last edited by myscoreonmysleeve on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

myscoreonmysleeve

Postby myscoreonmysleeve » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 am

myscoreonmysleeve wrote:I stick by my advice. Either your ptest scores were unrepresentative, or you had two major hindrances to your performance. It is likely the first, which can possibly be corrected. Addressing any psychology obstacles to taking the actual test, also, is part of test prep.

Edit: Give yourself more time to analyze your real performance. What was your first score, btw?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:28 am

Cool your jets. Get your score back first.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”