Should I keep doing PTs if I haven't started any RC prep?

laww

Should I keep doing PTs if I haven't started any RC prep?

Postby laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm not doing too badly @ RC (about 4-5 wrong) but I'm wondering if it is a bad idea that I have kept doing 25 PTs without spending any time on RC.

I'm thinking about devoting about 2 weeks to RC in August... is that a good idea?

I am following LSAT Blog's study plan (with a bit of modification) to prepare and I've scheduled myself to take 2 PTs each weekend until mid August after which I plan on taking a PT every 3 days.

Let me know.

patfeeney

Re: Should I keep doing PTs if I haven't started any RC prep?

Postby patfeeney » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 pm

laww wrote:I'm not doing too badly @ RC (about 4-5 wrong) but I'm wondering if it is a bad idea that I have kept doing 25 PTs without spending any time on RC.

I'm thinking about devoting about 2 weeks to RC in August... is that a good idea?

I am following LSAT Blog's study plan (with a bit of modification) to prepare and I've scheduled myself to take 2 PTs each weekend until mid August after which I plan on taking a PT every 3 days.

Let me know.

You can start PT'ing now, but for the love of god, start RC prep now as well. Two weeks is not nearly enough time. To properly learn RC, you need to almost completely revamp your reading and note taking technique. You should be working on it from now until October.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Why are you in such a hurry to do so many PT's before learning more material? How can learning RC now possibly hurt you? Dude, if you want to do well on the test than LEARN THE WHOLE TEST. Work in some RC studying now. RC is hard and takes a lot of practice to get good at it. Drill RC for a week or so now, THEN take a diagnostic. Waiting 1 week now isn't going to hurt you. And the sooner you start learning how to improve in RC, the sooner you can start using those skills in a test-environment and PT'ing at your true potential

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Also I think 2 PT's per weekend is serous overkill, and will actually hurt how much you can learn. Take one on Saturday, and devote Sunday to reviewing that test. Really go over the whole thing... The ones you got wrong especially - study them and do them repeatedly and ask yourself why you missed them. What concept did you not get? What mistake did you make? Also look at the ones you got right but weren't sure about... Ones you maybe got lucky on, or guessed correctly on. You easily could have guessed wrong, so study those too. It's just as important as studying the ones you missed.

What I would do is put a little star next to questions I wasn't 100% confident on during the PT, then it made review easy. I could go back and find them without effort, even if I got them right.

Reviewing and learning from your mistakes is the most important part of studying. Just doing a PT for the hell of it is only good if you're not comfortable with the test or the timing. But as far as learning the material... It won't help you at all if you don't take the time to review. Please, reconsider 2 PTs in a weekend. It's crazy and gives you no time to actually learn from the process.

You will not have gotten any better between tests 1 and 2 if you take them in back to back days. So what's the point? You're wasting material and your skill level hasn't changed one iota. But if you thoroughly review, your skill level will start to change.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”