How old are you? With or no working while studying for LSAT?

How old are you? (with or without working?)

Below 25 (include 25) with part time job
22%
Below 25 (include 25) with full time job
31%
Below 25 (include 25) without or quit job for studying LSAT
19%
Above 25 with part time job
2%
Above 25 with full time job
21%
Above 25 without or quit job for studying LSAT
5%

Total votes: 172

15chocolate

How old are you? With or no working while studying for LSAT?

Postby 15chocolate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:06 am

Just wondering how old people who are studying for LSAT are and whether they are working while studying for LSAT...

flash21

Re: How old are you? With or no working while studying for LSAT?

Postby flash21 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:16 am

21. 40 hours and overtime plus summer classes. Study lsat for 20 or more hrs a week

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:53 am

was wondering this as well.. im conflicted about trying to get a 35k job while studying for the lsat, or just wait and look for one after the lsat. have about 10k saved...

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 am

23, did occasional tutoring (~10hr/week), but nothing serious. Had ~$4500 saved in order to take a 5 month break.

y2zipper

Postby y2zipper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 am

27 and working a full-time job. Study 15-20 hours per week.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:19 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:23, did occasional tutoring (~10hr/week), but nothing serious. Had ~$4500 saved in order to take a 5 month break.

You took a five month study break? Damn, that's the way to go..

cougarguy89

Postby cougarguy89 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 am

24. Working full time (40-60 hours/ week). Studying ~20 hours/ week for October test. Not fun at all lol.

cougarguy89

Postby cougarguy89 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:48 am

loomstate wrote:was wondering this as well.. im conflicted about trying to get a 35k job while studying for the lsat, or just wait and look for one after the lsat. have about 10k saved...

Honestly, for $35k I would say to hold off for a couple of months and commit to studying. Because it can sometimes take a while to find the right job, I would start applying about a month before the LSAT and aim for a start date a week after the test. Good luck on the decision.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 am

cougarguy89 wrote:
loomstate wrote:was wondering this as well.. im conflicted about trying to get a 35k job while studying for the lsat, or just wait and look for one after the lsat. have about 10k saved...

Honestly, for $35k I would say to hold off for a couple of months and commit to studying. Because it can sometimes take a while to find the right job, I would start applying about a month before the LSAT and aim for a start date a week after the test. Good luck on the decision.

Terrible advice. Get a job, make money, build your resume, study at the same time.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:58 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
cougarguy89 wrote:

Terrible advice. Get a job, make money, build your resume, study at the same time.

I second this. Quitting my job was the worst decision I have ever made. The sad truth: I simply cannot study for over 6 hours a day. If I work full time, putting 4 or 5 hours a day will be ideal.
But, anyway, I did really well on the LSAT ( or I assume ) so I guess it's kinda work out. Now I am back to the job market again.

cougarguy89

Postby cougarguy89 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:01 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
cougarguy89 wrote:

I second this. Quitting my job was the worst decision I have ever made. The sad truth: I simply cannot study for over 6 hours a day. If I work full time, putting 4 or 5 hours a day will be ideal.
But, anyway, I did really well on the LSAT ( or I assume ) so I guess it's kinda work out. Now I am back to the job market again.

Studying and rocking the LSAT will yield much more in scholarship money than 2-3 months of making $35k/ year. If you have enough funds to live off of for a while, I definitely think its worth I commit to studying.

cougarguy89

Postby cougarguy89 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
cougarguy89 wrote:

Although I must agree that this is ideal, it is much easier said than done. I typically work around 10 hour days and commute 45 minutes each way. The last thing you want to do is study after work.

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:08 pm

lsat is definitely more important if dead set on law school. but im unsure. if i can find a nice job (this will be my first time looking), maybe law school isnt worth it..? hard to balance everything while keeping options open.
Last edited by loomstate on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:09 pm

23, working 15-20 hours a week, and I usually take 18-21 class credits per semester. I used to study about 15 hours a week, sometimes more.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Just graduated college in December, 23, and have done substitute teaching (part-time) since I graduated. But now that school's out, it seems I'm not gonna work for two months.

Anyway, subbing is a great part-time gig while studying, mainly because you can bring your study materials, and if you have well-behaved classes, you can get a lot of studying done while they're busy working on what the regular teacher assigned them. I believe TLS1776 subbed while he was studying, and also suggests such a job in his guide. Though I think drilling LR and RC was easier for me than drilling LG - I find that I need more focus for LG.

Some days are better than others. And there are plenty of days where you have annoying classes and can't get much done. Or some days where you actually have to do some teaching and go over problems/assignments.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:41 pm

23 and I work at a very big consulting firm doing about 40-50 hour weeks. I believe working and studying is completely doable if you're committed to putting in the time during the week.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:03 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:23, did occasional tutoring (~10hr/week), but nothing serious. Had ~$4500 saved in order to take a 5 month break.

You took a five month study break? Damn, that's the way to go..

Yup, graduated in December, left my job at the end of January, then spent ~5 months prepping. I definitely could have worked part-time without any issue, but I had the money saved, and couldn't find anything above minimum wage that would work for me.

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:35 pm

I first took the test when I was 23. All I did during that time was study. It was too much pressure, and I didn't do very well. I re-took a year later with a full-time job and scored 8 points higher. For me, it was about finding balance and only letting the LSAT take up so much mental/emotional space.

y2zipper

Postby y2zipper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't see how anyone can productively study more than 4-5 hours per day, really, outside of a PT & Review which takes a ton of time.

I thinks it's good to have a job and a life for some balance. I equate it with going to the gym and getting in shape: yeah, it's important as hell, but there's only so much you can do before obsessiveness and overworry kill you.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 pm

27. Working ~60-70 hours per week plus full-time grad school (night classes mostly). So needless to say, it's tough to find a lot of time for studying.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:31 pm

cougarguy89 wrote:24. Working full time (40-60 hours/ week). Studying ~20 hours/ week for October test. Not fun at all lol.

Same. Except I'll be studying for December.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 pm

23, had no obligations but the LSAT during my prep. Something part time probably would have done more good than harm, though.

essyct

Postby essyct » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:19 pm

19. On summer break from school and will be graduating in the fall. I decided not to get a job so I could devote all my time to studying but I'm thinking now that I could have easily maintained a part time job while still putting in enough prep time. As a lot of people have already mentioned, you can only study for so long a day before you get burnt out.

I actually think having a job would help me to focus a little more when I do study, making the time more productive.

Anyway, I'm excited/anxious to take the LSAT in October and see what my chances are at the T14.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 am

Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:51 am

22..working around 30 hours per week and studying around 20 hours per week. And I agree with above posters about keeping the job. I think I would probably get the same out of studying regardless. When you have a surplus of time each week to study, the studying tends to be lazy and not beneficial because you have so much time and you study very lackadaisical. Or thats just me at least

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”