Should I cancel? Asian Edition

Helpmeplease

Should I cancel? Asian Edition

Postby Helpmeplease » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:27 am

Just took the Asian administration. I know I'm at least at -5 (assuming all my guesses were wrong). Had to guess on 2 LG and 3 RC.

I was PTing 171-173 with my PT yesterday being -4 (not sure what the curve was, it was the Oct 2012). With my best PT being a 175 and my worst a 165.

My GPA is a 3.6 (Maybe a 3.7 when factoring in summer courses). I'm shooting for the T14.

How much worse is it to have a 165 today and a 175 in October compared with a cancel today and a 175 in October? Does it actually matter?

crazyrobin

Re: Should I cancel? Asian Edition

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:10 am

From what I heard, HYS cares a great deal about your previous score.
As for others, I am not sure.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:14 am

I wouldn't. Five wrong still puts you well above your PT scores, which is to say nothing of the fact that everyone panics upon leaving and is sure they got a bunch wrong. I think it's better to get your score and use the results to see how you can improve, unless one is sure they absolutely bombed it and/or had a completely off day.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:15 am

I don't think it matters.

Even for HYS, just write an addendum explaining why your 165 is not representative of your true potential. Still, you don't know how you did. I wouldn't throw it out but it's totally your call.

I would say, however, that T14 may require at least a 167 as that's the lowest median. Do you have a US GPA?

Helpmeplease

Postby Helpmeplease » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks for all the help guys, unfortunately was double social sciences although at what would be considered a top 10 undergrad (but I don't think that'll help). I guess I'm showing my n00bness here, but isn't it going to be a hindrance to study and prep the app at the same time? Presumably, I'll want the app sent before the OCT test, and I haven't started yet.

Also I should have clarified I "guessed" on 5 in the sense that I just filled in "E" as I ran out of time, there were 5 or 6 others that I wasn't confident on

Does all this also mean that schools generally don't average and just take the top score instead? So a 150 wouldn't be a disaster so long as I recover next time?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:25 am

schools generally only care about your highest score

but isn't it going to be a hindrance to study and prep the app at the same time?

no. learn some time management...

Presumably, I'll want the app sent before the OCT test, and I haven't started yet.

Not necessary. Applying after the the oct score is released is pefectly on time. You can put the finishing touches on your app between the oct test and the oct score release date.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 am

You might as well keep the score and see how it turns out. HYS say they consider scores from each sitting; but let's be honest, you have very little chance at either Y or S with that GPA in the first place, and empirical evidence from LSN suggests H is willing to overlook lower scores if you do better on later retakes. As for the rest of T14, it's more or less acknowledged that they count your highest score anyway.

Helpmeplease

Postby Helpmeplease » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks guys, sounds like I should keep the score, which I think I'll be doing, also seems like from the thread on the Asian LSAT that a lot of people had trouble possibly resulting in a gentler curve.

Anyone want to speak the other way? Maybe it's just people posting early in the morning tend to be overly positive...

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:44 pm

The curve is set before the test. So your causation statement is back words.

There is possibly a gentler curve, resulting in a lot of people having trouble.

glitterfyme

Postby glitterfyme » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 pm

the curve is set before the test? how does this work?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:44 pm

glitterfyme wrote:the curve is set before the test? how does this work?

Read this series of blog posts to understand how the curve is set.

laww

Postby laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

Just curious...

If someone had a 150 on their first try and 173+ on their second try, do schools look down on that?

Someone said they audit you and make you take a LSAT with the LSAC proctors... is that true?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”