Strategies for Timing: Drills vs Full PT

KingofSplitters55

Strategies for Timing: Drills vs Full PT

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently studying for the October 2013 LSAT and have already gone through Manhattan LR, Powerscore LG, and Powerscore RC. Now I'm beginning to seriously do PTs and 'apply' the knowledge from the books and the skills gained from drilling to the actual PTs. On the drills in those books I generally get -0 and just about never make any errors either due to carelessness or faulty reasoning. In these drills I'm also generally able to have things done in the allotted time (8 minutes 45 seconds generally per game/passage and 1 minute 25 seconds per LR question).

However, when doing a full practice test I find my timing to be much more off. In LR's case for example, when I get say halfway through I realize I'm already beginning to run say two minutes behind the proper rate I should be going at. For LG I've had a few cases where I run out of time on the last one or two questions in the section. Overall this leads to running out of time for a handful of questions in some sections, with these questions being ones I know I would get right if I had the opportunity to use that recommended time on them. Even worse, sometimes when I realize I'm running out of them I panic a little bit and thus cost even more time and focus. As I'm aiming for 170+, this is something I simply can't allow to happen.

Does anyone have any tips or strategies that they've utilized to help them translate their timing strategies on drills properly to timing on PT's? What in your opinion could be the reasons behind differences in drill rates versus PT time rates, and how would I go about properly addressing them? What overall strategies do you guys have for properly pacing yourselves?

Having had run cross country all through high school as my fall sport I certainly understand how absolutely fundamental timing/pacing is. I would greatly appreciate any tips/strategies on how I can achieve a proper pacing regimen on my PTs and eventual actual test.

Thanks!

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Strategies for Timing: Drills vs Full PT

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Don't. Linger. I find that the temptation to linger/think about questions I've just answered/double check questions adds a significant amount of time to each question that isn't present when drilling. My timing was majorly improved by forcing myself to quickly circle the question number of a Q I was uncertain of and then immediately move on. Just like LG, you need to keep moving through LR, and each second you spend questioning your own reasoning at the end of a single question is going to cost you later in the section.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:58 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Don't. Linger. I find that the temptation to linger/think about questions I've just answered/double check questions adds a significant amount of time to each question that isn't present when drilling. My timing was majorly improved by forcing myself to quickly circle the question number of a Q I was uncertain of and then immediately move on. Just like LG, you need to keep moving through LR, and each second you spend questioning your own reasoning at the end of a single question is going to cost you later in the section.

Certainly makes a lot of sense and I'll definitely try applying that strategy.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”