Unofficial LSAT tutors thread

Jeffort

Re: Unofficial LSAT tutors thread

Postby Jeffort » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm

cahwc12 wrote:I'm in a market with T3 schools only, so I think my 'business' probably doesn't fit the mold. Most of it consists of getting new students a few weeks before any given LSAT administration and doing my best to convince them during those couple weeks that they should wait and take it at the next administration (or even later), and in some cases to just not go to law school.

Most new students seeking tutoring are like that even in market areas with several good highly ranked schools. You just get more people with unrealistic target score timelines in big markets since the students want to get into the best local school and have usually looked up the LSAT medians for local top schools. Explaining that improving to mid/high 160s+ from a much lower starting score takes significantly more than a month or two of moderate study and getting them to believe me is the first challenge I face with most new students.

Being honest with students about their goals up front before they commit to tutoring costs me $$ every term since many of those students just end up going with a different tutor that tells them what they want to hear/supports their unrealistic prep plans just to get hired and grab the students $$.

I'm glad to hear that you try to set students straight with realistic plans/expectations and good LS admissions advice. Lots of crappy tutors in my area will tell students whatever they want to hear/believe and give them false hopes/confidence just to get some billed hours. I hate those guys since they do such a disservice to students and to conventional wisdom about LSAT prep.

bcjets212

Postby bcjets212 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Not really directly related to the previous questions, but I just got my first windows 8 computer (which I hate), but I came across an app/game called "Brain Teasers." It's basically a bunch of logic games, all with basically the same premise that is sort of like the old two-dimensional pre-drawn games from the old PTs. This is now the thing I recommend to students before they actually start an LSAT course. Not to mention, I find myself doing them on the side just because I am that big of a nerd who loves logic puzzles like that.

Anyone else come across this?

ptittle

Postby ptittle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi all, just found this thread, thanks to the person who started it!

I second graeme in NOT using anything not published by LSAC.

Re RC annotations, symbols are quick and very effective: + for pro argument, - for con, and especially lines that connect one part of the passage to another (as you all know, relationships between the parts are often numerous and important)...

Re payment, I'm finding etransfers better than PayPal b/c they charge me 3% to receive a payment!

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:44 am

ptittle wrote:Hi all, just found this thread, thanks to the person who started it!

I second graeme in NOT using anything not published by LSAC.

Re RC annotations, symbols are quick and very effective: + for pro argument, - for con, and especially lines that connect one part of the passage to another (as you all know, relationships between the parts are often numerous and important)...

Re payment, I'm finding etransfers better than PayPal b/c they charge me 3% to receive a payment!

I always just put a few words just in case I forget the main idea of one of the paragraphs. Takes 2 seconds.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”