So I jumped 7 points, but it took me 3 months

MiracleNeeded

So I jumped 7 points, but it took me 3 months

Postby MiracleNeeded » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 pm

My last prep test went well. I was very happy to gain some ground, but I'm still 17 points from my goal score of 165.

My concern is that the games KILLED me. I've busted my ass on games and have really been doing well on both timing and scoring on all sections of games but I only got 6 out of 23 on that section. A major WTF moment.

I'm kind of ok with that since I know games are the most learnable and I know I can do better on them. I seem to choke when the clock is on and I'm testing full games sections. Any advise?

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: So I jumped 7 points, but it took me 3 months

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:My last prep test went well. I was very happy to gain some ground, but I'm still 17 points from my goal score of 165.

My concern is that the games KILLED me. I've busted my ass on games and have really been doing well on both timing and scoring on all sections of games but I only got 6 out of 23 on that section. A major WTF moment.

I'm kind of ok with that since I know games are the most learnable and I know I can do better on them. I seem to choke when the clock is on and I'm testing full games sections. Any advise?

How have you studied for games? Have you read multiple guides? There is more great material out there for LG than any other section. If you are struggling this much, I'd recommend the Blueprint LG guide, which would be a solid guide for remedial LG help. If you've read several guides already, and are still struggling with the concepts, I'd recommend working with a tutor.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:My last prep test went well. I was very happy to gain some ground, but I'm still 17 points from my goal score of 165.

How have you studied for games? Have you read multiple guides? There is more great material out there for LG than any other section. If you are struggling this much, I'd recommend the Blueprint LG guide, which would be a solid guide for remedial LG help. If you've read several guides already, and are still struggling with the concepts, I'd recommend working with a tutor.

I worked the blueprint but never finished it. Power score and manhattan where my main books, manhattan is the only one I completed.

The weird thing is I was getting 100% on many of my practice games so I know how to do them I don't know what that was about.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 pm

MiracleNeeded wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

I worked the blueprint but never finished it. Power score and manhattan where my main books, manhattan is the only one I completed.

The weird thing is I was getting 100% on many of my practice games so I know how to do them I don't know what that was about.

Are you reviewing your games and sections? Particularly when you get questions wrong, review is crucial. Figure out what went wrong. Six of 23 shouldn't be happening. I recommend looking for patterns in what sorts of games you are most struggling with (a data analyzer like LSATQA.com, Zen of 180, or 7Sage will help). Also, try to recreate your thought process during the section, and make note of it. Reflect on how you can avoid a similar scenario from happening in the future. If time is killing you, perhaps it would be better to work on improving accuracy and time by drilling individual games and game types, rather than jumping into full sections and PTs.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:10 am

Velocity LSAT for games, all day. The best $300 you'll ever spend.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 am

Work that test like a job, and follow PithyPike's games advice, or at least get the Cambridge set. You need to drill-drill-drill. But make sure you understand the concepts first. Study Powerscore completely.

As for the anxiety that comes with the click, try this:

Sit at your regular testing station (desk or wherever), with the test on which you scored lowest sitting on the desk in front of you. Do not open the test. Have someone time you, but do not open the test. Just sit there and stare at the cover. Stare around the room. Don't do anything for 35 minutes. Have the proctor give you a 5-minute warning at the 30-minute mark.

The purpose? You get to see just how long 35 minutes really is. That's a long time. It will help you relax. You can repeat this exercise throughout your training.

You have to train yourself not to "care" about the test when you are taking it. Once you are in the frame of mind that this is just a simple test that you have already "passed" by sitting for it, your score is going to jump another five points.

Anxiety can cost you anywhere from 5 to 15 points, which means that even at this juncture you are probably capable of scoring 155 or so. You are better than you think...trust me.

Do the exercise above, and then take a timed test a few hours later or the next day.

Congratulations on your improvement!! :-)

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:01 am

Have you tried thoroughly going through Manhattan one more time? i'm going through it one more time and it's really been helping me to focus on organizing information to a higher level this time around.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 am

Manhattan's material seems more useful to me after you have the basics down. Read Powerscore and then Manhattan.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:08 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:Manhattan's material seems more useful to me after you have the basics down. Read Powerscore and then Manhattan.

I completely agree. I even made a post about it. Powers ore gives you a good foundation for understanding the more nuanced manhattan book. Blueprint is also nice, but a little TOO entertaining.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Hijacking your thread, lol

So for a retaker (who never made it basic basic sequencing games in powerscore) would you all recommend going back to the basics of powerscore or working my way through manhattan again with a fine toothed comb?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:37 pm

okaygo wrote:Hijacking your thread, lol

So for a retaker (who never made it basic basic sequencing games in powerscore) would you all recommend going back to the basics of powerscore or working my way through manhattan again with a fine toothed comb?

Take another test as a pseudo-diagnostic before you start studying, to see where you're at. If you feel like you've lost a lot of progress, go back and work through the guides. If you still feel comfortable with LG and are scoring well, just continue your studying where you left off and/or move on to drilling game types and completing 35-minute sections.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”