help-read the question first? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lester6215

New

help-read the question first?

Post by lester6215 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am

I want to know whether read the question at first or later in the LR ? Which is better ?i have try the both method, but I cannot figure out which is better

nothingtosee

Silver

Re: help-read the question first?

Post by nothingtosee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

Read question first. Helps you better focus while you're reading stimulus. You don't read a weaken and a main point question the same.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am

Neither is officially better than the other. It's up to the test taker to see. Try drilling 30 questions using both methods and see which one feels more natural and saves you more time.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:50 am

How long have you been studying? Until you've been studying for a few months, this won't make the slightest bit of difference. Do whichever, just get used to it.

And PS/protip: When you get really good at the LSAT, you'll be able to identify the type of question that will be asked just from reading the passage. Which makes the discussion moot.

crestor

Bronze

Post by crestor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 pm

jselson wrote:How long have you been studying? Until you've been studying for a few months, this won't make the slightest bit of difference. Do whichever, just get used to it.

And PS/protip: When you get really good at the LSAT, you'll be able to identify the type of question that will be asked just from reading the passage. Which makes the discussion moot.

parallel/p.f. questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm

crestor wrote:
jselson wrote:How long have you been studying? Until you've been studying for a few months, this won't make the slightest bit of difference. Do whichever, just get used to it.

parallel/p.f. questions?
Those are the most obvious (hmm, super-short/long question), but the "conversation" ones and flawed reasoning ones (check out that illicit shift in terms!/scope!) are also pretty easy.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Identify the question type, then read the stimulus. It takes less than two seconds, and can save you from having to re-read if you missed the gist of the passage the first time through (Method Q's are a good example of where you can save a lot of time by knowing the type before reading). You don't necessarily need to read the whole thing, just spot the key words and note "EXCEPT" if it's there. Do NOT read the answers first.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:07 pm

For most questions, I give a quick glance to the question, circle a key term (assump. req/suff., weaken, strengthen, flaw) that identifies what it is. I take longer on those that ask about a specific point in the stimulus (role question) since those can trip you up if not careful.

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 pm

I have heard either way, which does not make sense to me.

The concept of psychological priming seems like it would definitely help to read the question first, especially because of the time crunch.

If I read the prompt first I will have to read it again after I read the question. On some easier questions I was able to, read the question, read the prompt, and then answer.

Plus since you are "primed" for a question type you can focus on those parameters. If it was a parallel question I would read the prompt and make little shorthand symbols to create an easy comparable structure to match to an answer. I would have had to read the prompt an additional time if I did not read the question first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:38 pm

I tried both methods, and found that reading the question first didn't help, and actually slowed me down. So I switched back to reading the passage first, and that's what works for me. But this section is very much my strength, by far.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:39 pm

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:I have heard either way, which does not make sense to me.

The concept of psychological priming seems like it would definitely help to read the question first, especially because of the time crunch.

If I read the prompt first I will have to read it again after I read the question.
This. For me, I found that I'd have to re-read the stimulus with the task in mind, back when I used to read the stimulus and then the question. Knowing what sort of task the Q is lets me read the prompt more efficiently; now the only time I ever have to re-read a prompt is if I'm truly stuck. I have saved a LOT of time since switching to this method.

Especially as you get more comfortable with LR, you will realize that (even beyond parallel reasoning and parallel flaw), stimuli will very often differ from one another in accordance with question type. There is a way that the question type guides the layout and content of the prompt, and having it in mind lets you navigate the stimuli much more effectively.

hukchobo

New

Post by hukchobo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:20 pm

I read the stim first on short to medium ones and the stem first for long ones

I usually find it easier to understand the stim when i locate premise+conclusion regardless of question type

Someone mentioned it above but once Ive done enough problems I usually know the q type once I start reading the stim without looking at stem

sabza

New

Post by sabza » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:30 pm

I prefer to read the question first. I used to read the stimulus first, but after wasting time on role of statement questions, I decided question first was the way to go.

lester6215

New

Post by lester6215 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:54 am

I HAVE studied for several months, i tried these two method but i think it is the same for me, so i am confused.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”