anyone use this LSAT watch?

flash21

anyone use this LSAT watch?

Postby flash21 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 pm

http://lsatwatch.webs.com/apps/testimonials/

what are the views on this watch? anyone used it before?

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

steel_shot

Re: anyone use this LSAT watch?

Postby steel_shot » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:53 pm

PourMeTea wrote:
flash21 wrote:http://lsatwatch.webs.com/apps/testimonials/

TTT
It's all about the 180 watch

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 am

If a watch's section timing is so important for test day, you need to study more.

meegee

Postby meegee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:07 am

This is slightly off-topic.

Is the 180 watch (and any other LSAT specific watch out there) better than any other watch with a rotary bezel? Yes. I suppose it is more convenient to just have to click a button as opposed to applying the extra force and attention needed to rotate the bezel to the appropriate time.

Get any non-digital watch with a rotary bezel that doesn't click and is easy to twist. It's literally almost as easy as using a 180 watch.

I bought the Casio Men's MRW200H-1BV Sport Analog Dive Watch. It's $17 with free shipping on Amazon. Perhaps you can find a cheaper one if you scoured a little more. It works great. The bezel is easy to twist and doesn't make ticks as it does. You can spin both ways if you're wondering. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MRW200H-1BV ... B005JVP0LE
You can thank me later.

TL;DR - The 180 watch (and any other LSAT specific watch) is better than an ordinary non-digital watch with a rotating bezel, but I do not think it is worth the money.

EDIT: You're right most dangers LG. I need to tone it down.

FWIW, if you don't get enough responses, the testimonials on their site says its great and was very helpful.
Last edited by meegee on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 am

I did, and I liked it. Obviously a lot of people think it's silly or a waste of money, but if you think you'd find it helpful, go for it. Any little bit helps, come test day.

meegee wrote:TL;DR - The 180 watch is better than an ordinary non-digital watch with a rotating bezel, but it's a scam and not worth it. Please stop supporting this bullshit company so they can go out of business.

First of all, the OP didn't ask about the 180 watch, they asked about this watch, which costs half as much. Second, the 180 watch can hardly be called a scam: they sell you the product they claim to sell you, it works as they claim it works. Overpriced? Sure, probably, but not a scam. Third, those watches have a great resale value, so it's not like it's $50 wasted. There are lots of people who will buy it off you later for $35 or even more, which ultimately means you haven't spent very much at all. Possibly even less than the watch you recommended. Chillax.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 am

wow. we talk about pencils here..

types of paper..

and now watches.. and I couldn't even believe that there's this 180 watch thing. amazing~

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:26 am

The 180 watch is great, but if you can't afford it/don't want to pay for it, that one you linked is good too. I used it in June and it worked perfectly well. 100% silent, which was my biggest concern since ticking is probably my biggest pet peeve in the world and will drive me to rip my hair out.

If you decide to use it, just practice quickly spinning it back to its position until you're able to do it in 2 seconds. (Took me 3 attempts before I was 100% comfortable with it-- it's really easy.) Then you'll be able to spin it back to :35 as soon as you put your pencils down & proctor is talking. I used the P version (if I remember correctly..) and it was quick and easy. I'd suggest using it or one similar -- ie. one where :35 mark is at the bottom (where the 6 usually is) and counts down to 0 (where the 12 usually is). Simply bc of ease of spinning the hands back into place.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 am

Yes, used it in June. Very good and half the price of the 180 watch.

davyboy

Postby davyboy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:21 pm

I used this watch on test day too and I liked it.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:27 pm

No, just get a watch with a rotating bezel. Just to point out though, if you are aiming for a top score, it's very likely that you will need to develop an LSAT rhythm or a feel for how much time you are spending on a section. Which means you will make little use of a watch if you really have things down.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm

If the money doesnt matter .. its only a positive i guess

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:No, just get a watch with a rotating bezel. Just to point out though, if you are aiming for a top score, it's very likely that you will need to develop an LSAT rhythm or a feel for how much time you are spending on a section. Which means you will make little use of a watch if you really have things down.

I am firmly in the camp that believes finding a rhythm for the section and using one of these watches are not zero sum activities if you want a high score. Using one of these watches helped me develop my rhythm and feel for a section as I practiced before test day, and by test day itself, its fancy LSAT-specific capabilities weren't as needed (though still nice).

Especially if timing is an issue, I think these can be a real asset, as long as one gets one of these far enough in advance that they make smart use of it during their prep.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:35 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:No, just get a watch with a rotating bezel. Just to point out though, if you are aiming for a top score, it's very likely that you will need to develop an LSAT rhythm or a feel for how much time you are spending on a section. Which means you will make little use of a watch if you really have things down.

I am firmly in the camp that believes finding a rhythm for the section and using one of these watches are not zero sum activities if you want a high score. Using one of these watches helped me develop my rhythm and feel for a section as I practiced before test day, and by test day itself, its fancy LSAT-specific capabilities weren't as needed (though still nice).

Especially if timing is an issue, I think these can be a real asset, as long as one gets one of these far enough in advance that they make smart use of it during their prep.

Yea, I wasn't trying to say it's one or the other. Just saying that the watch issue shouldn't be much of an issue. Get a watch that works and one visible enough so that you can perhaps lay it down on the desk and see it, but it shouldn't be a big worry. I used mine during the games, I was on the third game and lost track, realized I only had 6-7 mins left for the last game, so I just jumped to the last game (which is why I'm worried about the game section). It was the watch that helped me realize it.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:49 pm

I used the one with the happy face on it. Loved it. Only thing it lacks that the absurdly priced 180 watch has is that you have to pull the pin, and twist it back to the starting position (which means the second hand may be stuck at like 0:45 or 0:17 or something but doesn't set back to :00) where the 180 watch you just push the button and the second hand and minute hand go back to reset at 12:00. I didn't find it to be a big deal at all, and even if you have a 180 watch your going to be off a few seconds from the official watch anyways.

sam62188

Postby sam62188 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:52 pm

I used the 180watch for this past June lsat.

I was mocked by my prep instructor when he noticed I had the watch, but it was very helpful. My proctor on test day used a digital watch and I was able to sync up exactly. Its worth the 50 bucks if you have any anxiety with timing, I'm sure you could snag a used one on ebay or CL for like 30.

My advice on the watches is if you think its a good idea, grab one its a relatively small price to pay for whats at stake. If you scoff at the idea, then you probably don't need one.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:15 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Especially if timing is an issue, I think these can be a real asset, as long as one gets one of these far enough in advance that they make smart use of it during their prep.

This especially. I think I want a watch like this to help me get into the rhythm of keeping time. If I use it to end up with this "timing-sense" where I don't need the watch, then great... the money wasn't that big of a deal. If I can't seem to develop the timing sense perfectly, and I have found a way to be efficient with the watch, then that's great too.

But there's also something quite nice about having a dedicated watch for your lsat, as a watch pertains to time, and perhaps it might remind you of all of the reasons why you're investing your time into your studies.

This is clearly something that's up to the opinion of the potential consumer.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 am

Spend 80~100 dollars on an analog chronograph. I've spent a lot of time looking into timers and analog chronograph is the best option. If I can't set my secondhand I can't time myself precisely. Why take the test giving yourself a margin of error possibly as great as 59 seconds? If I want to secure the best possible chance for myself, I have to get rid of uncertainties.

1. An analog chronograph allows me to always let myself be aware of 35 minutes to the second. Sometimes the proctor will start their watch few seconds later than when they announce "you may begin," so I'll have a bit more than 35 min. But if I pace myself on the "you may begin," I ALWAYS know how much time I have at the very least. I never have a problem where the time is called even a second before my timer indicates 35 minutes (as long as I use it properly).

2. It ALLOWS me to efficiently use my time. I know exactly what I should do when I have an extra 45 seconds vs when I have an extra 15 seconds.

3. It's always possible to be facing a difficult section in which I run tight on time. I don't expect to run out of time and have to guess. But optimizing my chances mandates me to prepare for the worst. Difficult sections are where knowing I have 10 seconds or 20 seconds really counts.

Unless I didn't care about my score, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an analog chronograph. The only rational reason to not use it is if a person can't afford it.

I spent a lot of money on lsat materials, and I would've bought this watch if I thought it was the best choice as the timer. But it's not - all it does differently is it makes it easier to see 35 minutes. Reliably knowing the time to the second is MUCH more useful than the 35 minute face scheme.

jtabustos

Postby jtabustos » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:18 am

What in the world is the 180 watch? Links?

p.s. Are there LSAC pre-approved watches we can bring to the test? ....interesting topic.

CalAlumni

Postby CalAlumni » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Used this watch on my exam and practiced with it for months before hand as well...definitely makes keeping track of time easier. Would recommend. I would buy two though in case one breaks...since they're not the highest quality watches obviously.

kiyoku

Postby kiyoku » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 am

jtabustos wrote:What in the world is the 180 watch?

google 180 watch.

I actually got this and I benefited from it a lot already (not that I wouldn't benefit from a cheaper watch). Obv if you can't afford the next MLSAT book, then this is a dumb purchase, but the last time someone in the library asked me why I would pay so much for this, I stared at his iphone for an awkwardly long time and then said,

"I guess we all have preferences..." lol

jnozar

Postby jnozar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:33 pm

if anyone has the 180watch let me know im interested in purchasing it. joshnozar@gmail.com

loomy78

Postby loomy78 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 pm

im selling this watch for $15. It's in excellent shape and works like new.

http://i.imgur.com/RW3vYRU.jpg

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”