Thoughts on PowerScore's Live in person classes

All Star

Thoughts on PowerScore's Live in person classes

Postby All Star » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 am

I've read all 3 of PowerScore's bibles and am still in need of additional prep, and I believe that having an instructor would be in my best interest.

Powerscore is offering a live course in my area starting on Monday, and I am seriously considering taking the course. However, before I do so, I would like to hear from someone who has taken the course and would like to provide general feedback (instructor quality, content quality, score increases experienced, ect.)

I need to improve about 10-15 points in time for the October test.

The reason that I'm considering PowerScore is because I read all 3 of the Bibles and liked their methods and found them helpful. I'm also open to different prep options, so if anyone thinks other courses/programs are better please let me know.

Thanks!!!

bp shinners

Re: Thoughts on PowerScore's Live in person classes

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:21 pm

All Star wrote:Powerscore is offering a live course in my area starting on Monday, and I am seriously considering taking the course. However, before I do so, I would like to hear from someone who has taken the course and would like to provide general feedback (instructor quality

For the instructor quality, you should post where you're looking to take it/the specific instructor. It'll be more useful to hear feedback about your particular instructor than about a generic PS instructor!

thatdude222

Postby thatdude222 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm

Powerscore's classes are good. The instructor I had was decent and did a great jump of breaking down questions and helping simplify the way approach questions. The materials were great as well. By signing up for the course, you get access to a good amount of prep material (practice tests, answer explanations, and videos going over the techniques and answer explanations) I had a huge jump in my score (22 points) and while I can't give the Powerscore course all the credit, a good 10 points of my increase did come from taking the course.

However, if you've already been through the bibles (and studied them well) I'm not sure how much more it will help. A significant portion of the class will be spent on going over the very same techniques you went over in the bibles on a more basic level. I think you would benefit more from their private tutoring if it's an option for you. It would also be helpful to know where you are with your scores on preptests and what is giving you trouble.

How well did you read the books? If you just kind of skimmed through them, had trouble focusing, didn't do all the problems, etc. then the structure of the course might benefit you.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 pm

All star, I was recently in a similar situation and I decided to buy the 20-hour tutoring packaging. I've only been at it for a week but I will say that watching an expert solve problems in front of you seems to be helpful. Also, the material provided online has great lectures over the basic concepts that I assume one would hear in person if they took the class. I have no hard evidence to claim tutoring was a good decision, but I can get back to you in two weeks and perhaps provide a more definitive response.

All Star

Postby All Star » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was also considering the private tutoring package, but I think I'm still a little bit too far from my goal for that option. I need a lot more reinforcement with basic techniques (especially with RC where I sometimes miss anywhere from 8-12 questions because I have to rush through the last passage and miss a lot when I'm rushing for time).

I thought I read the Bibles well, until I did my first practice test and missed many questions that I thought I knew how to do when doing the Bibles, especially in RC.

RC is by far my lowest section, as I miss about 5-7 on each LR and about 3-5 on LG (I'm looking to get that down to -0)

Right now I'm PT'ing at about a 156-158, so it looks like I don't have a solid mastery of a lot of the underlying concepts yet, which is why I'm considering a full length course.

I also heard that Velocity's online class was really good, so I'm looking for input on that option as well.

All Star

Postby All Star » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29 pm

bp shinners wrote:
All Star wrote:Powerscore is offering a live course in my area starting on Monday, and I am seriously considering taking the course. However, before I do so, I would like to hear from someone who has taken the course and would like to provide general feedback (instructor quality

For the instructor quality, you should post where you're looking to take it/the specific instructor. It'll be more useful to hear feedback about your particular instructor than about a generic PS instructor!

It doesn't say who the instructor is going to be, but the class I'm talking about is in Coral Gables, FL and starts this Monday.

Grond

Postby Grond » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 pm

All Star wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

It doesn't say who the instructor is going to be, but the class I'm talking about is in Coral Gables, FL and starts this Monday.

If you call the Powerscore home office they can tell you about the instructor.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”