Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 pm

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby patfeeney » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 pm

1) Buy the Manhattan books and the Powerscore LG bible
2) Stop using PT sections for 1-40 and switch to drill packets, like Cambridge.
3) Head over to the October 2013 study group page and keep yourself updated.

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:01 pm

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 pm

steven21 wrote:I already have read the LRB and the Manhattan LR Book multiple times and have done the drilling packets multiple times


So you say in one of your posts that you have thoroughly reviewed all of your old work. My question is, how thoroughly have you reviewed? Because nothing new is coming, theoretically I mean. The reasoning goes that if you learn how to do the old stuff, you can apply that line of reasoning to new problems. The other explanation is that you're weak in a specific area, for example you're bad with causation in strengthen/weaken questions, or in-out games, or author's tone questions.

A better question might be, what do you think is wrong?

magickware
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:18 am

steven21 wrote:I already have read the LRB and the Manhattan LR Book multiple times and have done the drilling packets multiple times


Then the possibilities are simple-

1) You've put in legitimate work. You fully understand the Manhattan LR book and the concepts within it and can apply it fairly effortlessly to every question type. You can answer with near perfect certainly the answer and process for every question you've done in the packet. This is not a matter of memorization, but rather of you just fully understanding the process and all the details behind each question type. Since you fully understand the process, everything should be solvable, and within reasonable amount of time at that.

In spite of all this, you cannot get yourself to get below a -5 or a -4 on combined LR section.

If this is the case, then you're shit out of luck. I'm being honest. If you've done the above or gone beyond that and still cannot get below a -5 on a single LR section, then you have an issue that cannot be fixed by simple studying.

2) You did not put in legitimate work. You do not fully understand the Manhattan LR book and the concepts within it. There are question types that you are clearly not good at, and you simply do not know what your weaknesses are. You never did proper review, where you actually take the time to dissect each question and understand it on both an individual and general level. Individual in how that specific question ticks (why each answer is wrong and why the one answer is right), and general in how that question relates to its question type.

If this is the case, then you simply take the time to find your weaknesses and work on them accordingly. That and actually do proper review.

Select the number that you think actually matches your situation and go from there.

Trust me on one thing though - Reading the Manhattan LR book a couple of times and doing the packets a couple of times doesn't do jack shit. I've done it; and I've failed.

Things only work when you take the time to properly digest and learn the material.

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:30 pm

,
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 pm

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 pm

steven21 wrote:I think it is case 1. I have done LR sections 1-20 four times and the ques type drilling packets twice and have been going to a personal tutor for a little over a year. If studying won't help then how am I suppose to raise my score to a 175 by October


If you're willing to accept the problem is case 1, then you don't have much of an option for recourse. Case 1 basically says you have mental deficiencies when it comes to the LSAT. That sounds harsh, and I'm inclined to believe almost no one really, truly meets case 1, but that the real problem lies in being unable to identify your weak areas, even if that area isn't a specific question type. Maybe it's a state of mind, maybe it's lack of mental endurance, or you have made some assumptions about what certain things mean that aren't 100% accurate.

Only way to fix that is to look at what you're getting wrong, a lot, and ask yourself why you got it wrong. Make yourself know why your answer was absolutely wrong, and why the correct answer is absolutely right, and then ingrain that in your mind because you WILL see another question just like it down the road.

magickware
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Could you explain to me exactly how PT8-S4-Q21 works?

As in, explain why every answer choice is wrong and why the right answer choice is right, etc.

I used to have the hardest time with that question.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 pm

PT8-S4-Q21: N/A

CORE: The environmentalists concern for bird migration is not their real concern

Why?

(p1) The environmentalists have raised objections to every proposal in recent years

Ok. Let's look closely here. The argument concludes that one concern is not the one motivating an action simply because the group in question has taken the same action multiple times. The question here, is whether the same motivation, bird migrating patterns, has motivated not only the action in question, but also the other actions the group has taken multiple times. Let's move to the answers:

A: This follows my prephrase well, except for the last word: environment. We're talking about bird migration patterns. But it's so close. Let's refer back to the stimulus. Ahh, there it is. The argument concludes that one particular action is not a real concern because this group has raised environmental objections again and again, that's it. What if they are opposing these proposals not because they are against development, but because they believe that their objections are well founded? Meaning that, they are objecting to proposals because they believe these proposals pose a threat to the environment.

Want more on the other answers? They were pretty easy to eliminate, so you could have easily got to A by process of elimination.

kiyoku
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 2:25 am

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby kiyoku » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:30 pm

steven21 wrote:I think it is case 1. I have done LR sections 1-20 four times and the ques type drilling packets twice and have been going to a personal tutor for a little over a year. If studying won't help then how am I suppose to raise my score to a 175 by October


steven21.. something's gotta give.

I've been through feeling this way many times. I've written about these things by myself as well.

There was a time when I was studying for a particularly hard course in my 3rd year of university and I felt I had to get an A+ on the course. This, statistically speaking, is an absurdly high mark. Yet, I was complaining to my friend (who was, at the time. the only person getting A+) that I just don't get it and that I won't be able to get an A+.

Me: Man I need to get an A+ but I can't man....
Him: Yes you can. Just work harder at learning it and stop complaining.
Me: No you don't get it. I tried and I just can't. I need to give up on this A+ craziness. I should take an A.
Him: Well. Maybe you should then.

I took the bus home and thought about it. I had the choice of being comfortable and saying that my friend was innately better than me, or I had the choice of refusing to believe that I can't do it.

I chose to believe that I can't do it.

I got an A. And I regret it because he was wrong. In fact, I was wrong.

I'm not going to make that kind of mistake on the LSAT, and if you want to read about how I feel about burning out then just look me up (An Article on "BURNING OUT"). I wrote an absurdly long thing that helps people like me, and perhaps you might get an extra boost too.

I think you can do it. Just go for a jog, look at yourself in the mirror and make a choice. Hope you stay in the fight! It would motivate me too =)

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:10 pm

OP, have you tried using LSATQA.com? You may think you have no particular weaknesses, but the data can tell a surprisingly different story. If you haven't already, I would definitely plug in all of your most recent LR sections (you can input individual sections; you don't need to submit full tests for grading each time). Hopefully your issue is an unidentified weakness among a few question types.

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:16 am

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 am

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby trojandave » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 pm

If all you're going to do is tell everyone who has a suggestion that you've already done it and it hasn't helped then why even ask for help? There is no magic potion out there that you're missing. The right answers are exactly what people are saying. The LSAT is hard, it's why only 1% gets above a 173. If you want to be one of them then stop being defensive and arguing with those trying to help you. You took the first step by asking for help. Now you need to take the second and admit (and accept) that you do have particular weaknesses. It could be mindset, timing, problem types... but you have them and now you MUST find them if you want to do better. More drilling won't help until you do, so turn this into a scavenger hunt and ID your problems. Until you do, your score will stay stagnant. If you've done drill packets repeatedly you probably missed the same question multiple times. Start there. If you're missing all types then you may lack the basic understanding of an underlying concept that's in each of these particular questions, so look there instead of at the question types. If you want it, dig down and learn what you're missing. It's the hardest part but when you do you'll feel it click and see a big jump

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 pm

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:39 pm

steven21 wrote:I wasn't being defensive or arguing. There is no need for the aggressive angry response. lsatqa showed that the problems I miss are spread out evenly. I simply wanted some help


Unfortunately, I think you've exhausted our collective supply of resources. If you've read all the guides (multiple times), drilled all the drills (multiple times), continually and consistently reviewed problems, analyzed data, looked for weaknesses, and worked with a tutor, there's not much else that people are going to be able to suggest. As a previous poster said, there's no magic potion. You may reached your potential in this area.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby trojandave » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:51 pm

steven21 wrote:I wasn't being defensive or arguing. There is no need for the aggressive angry response. lsatqa showed that the problems I miss are spread out evenly. I simply wanted some help


That wasn't angry, I'm trying to help you. The bottom line is that as long as you're in category 1 you won't improve. It means you can't find any problems and you've reached your potential. But there is good news, and it's also what's frustrating all of us. It's that you're only in category 1 because you say you are. But you don't have to be. You may not be missing just one type, but maybe you're missing a principle that connects all the questions you're getting wrong. If I were you I'd take every question I missed to my tutor and make it his job to help me find what I'm not getting. Until you do you're taking shots in the dark and drilling without direction. Let him help you. Make this into a hunt but you need to realize you're in category 2 and find your weak spots. Timing, anxiety, underlying principles like isolating the conclusion... could be anything. Good luck

steven21
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby steven21 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:08 pm

.
Last edited by steven21 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby jselson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:20 pm

steven21 wrote:sorry for the misinterpretation and thanks for the feedback


Are you missing a particular difficulty range? Like, you miss mostly questions 14-23? You may just be missing the subtlety of the more difficult questions, and you need to learn the small patterns that cue you in when something is wrong. Or you may be missing the medium difficulty questions because you're forgetting part of the stimulus and you think the obvious answer (which happens to be incorrect) is obvious.

sighsigh
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: Tips/Advice for Study Plan to get from 160s to 175

Postby sighsigh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:31 pm

PT 39 has the hardest RC I have ever encountered out of the PTs I have done (33 - 60).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, dontsaywhatyoumean, Giro423, jagerbom79 and 5 guests