How to Reframe Your Games: Crash course schedule finalized

Reframe

How to Reframe Your Games: Crash course schedule finalized

Postby Reframe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:22 am

Hey everyone!

Well, nobody really showed up for the "trial" stream, but I'm not discouraged; I think chances are I just didn't make it clear enough what we'd be doing, and I didn't give people enough warning before the stream.

I've posted a new schedule at http://www.reframeyourgames.com - it's subject to change, of course, but the general structure should be clear: start with a couple new ways of thinking about conditional reasoning, as applied to sufficient and necessary assumption questions in LR; port this knowledge to conditional (in-and-out and grouping) games; continue on to consider conditional rules in linear games, covering the basics of ordering rules in the process; move to hybrid games and develop strategies for dealing with their complications; examine games that aren't easily susceptible to my methods; finish by tying up any loose ends.

The idea is for this to be a kind of "crash course" in my approach. To my knowledge, I do things in a fundamentally different way than almost any of the published texts, and I want to try and get the full sense of my perspective across in as short a time as possible. I also want to do it without "wasting" too many of the valuable recent tests; that said, I will be using mostly fairly modern material. I'll probably "assign" sections and/or individual games as "homework" between sessions, or maybe as stuff to do during a session, or maybe I'll experiment with both.

This time I am explicitly looking for RSVPs; I want to know what kind of stuff to prepare, and what kind of lessons to plan, and to know those things it's important to know how many people will show up. I'm also hoping - at least I'm being open about this! - that if you RSVP, you'll feel obligated to show up.

I also think I might not have done a great job selling myself in my previous posts. I aced the first games section I tried and I've gotten much better since then. I regularly help raise the scores of people who have already taken courses, taken every preptest, etc. My clients have gone to Yale and Harvard and the other top places. Occasionally, I've been able to see so quickly what a student was doing wrong that they were able to gain up to five points overnight. I've been billed out at over two hundred dollars an hour by tutoring companies, but because you'll be doing me a favor by helping me see how well my stuff translates into this medium and class size, you can benefit from my insight for free. There is really nothing to lose here, so I do hope at least a few of you will be able to join me for at least some of this experiment.

As usual, feel free to reply in this thread, by email, or by PM with any questions. The first session will be this coming Wednesday at 7PM Eastern. I'll probably be sticking around after each two-hour stream to go over specific games people have had trouble with, whether or not they relate to the day's material, if there's any demand for that.

Reframe

Re: How to Reframe Your Games: Crash course schedule finalized

Postby Reframe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:58 pm

This is still on for tomorrow night! Hoping to see at least a few people there.

Trajectory

Postby Trajectory » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:12 am

I'll try to make this! On the website I saw it had 7-8, 8-9...I can join somewhere in there, as soon as I get home

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Seems like there are a couple people here. :D Hopefully we'll get started in the next few minutes - just waiting to see if a few more people will join the chat, as I'm a bit lost without feedback.

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Hopefully this was helpful! Things should get a bit more exciting next time, and I should have a bit more of a concrete plan too.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I don't know if this has been addressed somewhere but I just saw your site and the days and dates don't match (e.g., June 20th is Thursday for me here in NYC not Wednesday as you have it).

Was hoping to check out the live course today but I'm guessing I'm a day late? Lol, new personal best!

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Wow. Not a mistake I was expecting to make.

I'll fix it now!

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:33 pm

Also, I'm just wondering how useful this course would be for someone already comfortable with games. I just skipped through your recorded session from yesterday and I caught the bit about emphasis on games. Your schedule is also exclusively on games (although some of the logic material obviously also applies to LR). My games section is usually -1 or -2. Just out of curiosity, will you be getting into reading comprehension? I could use all the help I can get on that (usually -4 or -5). I will probably check out your web course anyway because I think I still rely on brute force more than I should (which is probably why I get still get -1 and -2 more often than -0) but in case you're open to content suggestion, some RC insight would be much appreciated.

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm always happy to take questions on anything, but games is where I think I offer some insight that's not already out there. If you come at the start or end of the session, that'll be a good time for questions about RC and anything else that's not on the schedule.

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey guys! This'll be happening again today. I'll be trying to troubleshoot some of the issues I had with audio lag and advertisements.

On the website at http://www.reframeyourgames.com I've listed some games we might be hitting up today. Sorry for not doing so in advance; I had been hoping to decide earlier so people might have time to look at them, but hopefully this'll be something, at least. I'm going to push the stream back an hour as well. If you do want to take a look at a few of the games, I would start with the course scheduling ones, especially if you were around for the discussion about helpers and troublemakers on Wednesday.

Edit: I'm having some trouble uploading new stuff to thew ebsite, so I'll just mention that the two course scheduling games at issue are the fourth game in PT58 and the third game in PT59.

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Okay, the website seems to have updated. Sorry about all the many confusions! Remember to just email or PM me if you have a question about any of this.

And just a reminder: this is free!

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Had another good session today - I think I'm learning more about this format each time. Feel free to watch what we've done so far at http://www.justin.tv/reframelsat/videos and join me on Wednesday at 7PM Eastern for the next session! In the meantime, PM or email me with any questions you might have.

scandk

Postby scandk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 am

I've been to both of the sessions so far, and I think it's been very helpful. The second session was more helpful than the first, but that's probably because I had to leave prematurely during the first session. I've gone through the LGB, albeit very quickly/didn't drill at all, but something that Reframe does that the LGB doesn't discuss is the idea of variables as helpers or troublemakers. This leads to increased efficiency, which is paramount in LG. I'm sure he can explain it better than I can. Also, by working through the games with him, I've ironed out some kinks in my LG skills, such as inefficient notations, weird negations, etc.

Pretty cool stuff.

Reframe

Postby Reframe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Okay, this should be happening again in just a few minutes!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”