Must be true - just once or every time?

canadamontreal

Must be true - just once or every time?

Postby canadamontreal » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:29 am

I'm struggling with the answer choices on PT 7 game 2, Dr. Yamata, question 10. After reviewing the question, I understand that the answer is E because every time she lectures, no matter how the variables are moved around, there is at least one day on which she lectures. What I am struggling with is that when I was doing the practice games, I chose A as correct because there is only one possible day on which she could treat patients in both the morning and afternoon. After reviewing, I found every option to have the same one possible day.

My reasoning:
a) She can only treat a patient in the morning and afternoon if it is on a saturday.
b) She can only treat conduct research and lecture if it is on a Tuesday or only on a Monday - not both.
c) She can only conduct research and treat patients if it is on a Friday or only on a Monday - not both.
d) She can only lecture and treat patients if it is on a Tuesday or a Monday - not both.

When I feel confident with an answer I tend to move to the next question. Is it the norm that a "must be true" question means that the variables will go together regardless of the variable iterations? I don't want to make the same mistake.

Best!

magickware

Re: Must be true - just once or every time?

Postby magickware » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 am

A must be true answer must be true, no matter what. All the other answers may be true, but do not have to be absolutely true.

So, like you said-

A- There could be Ts in both afternoon and morning, but they this doesn't have to happen. Therefore, wrong answer.
B- There can be an L in the afternoon and a R on the morning on either Monday or Tuesday, but it doesn't have to happen. Therefore, wrong answer.
C- There could be a T in the afternoon and a R on the morning of Saturday, but it doesn't have to happen. Therefore, wrong answer.
D- Effectively speaking the same thing as above. You already know the possibilities.
E- This must always happen. Either on Monday or Tues. You cannot create a possible game board in which this doesn't occur, and so it is the right answer.

So, think of it like this. Could we make a board on which this answer doesn't occur? If so, then that answer is wrong. If you cannot make a game board where this answer doesn't occur, then the answer is right.

canadamontreal

Re: Must be true - just once or every time?

Postby canadamontreal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Thank you!

magickware wrote:A must be true answer must be true, no matter what. All the other answers may be true, but do not have to be absolutely true.

So, like you said-

A- There could be Ts in both afternoon and morning, but they this doesn't have to happen. Therefore, wrong answer.
B- There can be an L in the afternoon and a R on the morning on either Monday or Tuesday, but it doesn't have to happen. Therefore, wrong answer.
C- There could be a T in the afternoon and a R on the morning of Saturday, but it doesn't have to happen. Therefore, wrong answer.
D- Effectively speaking the same thing as above. You already know the possibilities.
E- This must always happen. Either on Monday or Tues. You cannot create a possible game board in which this doesn't occur, and so it is the right answer.

So, think of it like this. Could we make a board on which this answer doesn't occur? If so, then that answer is wrong. If you cannot make a game board where this answer doesn't occur, then the answer is right.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”