Help: PrepTest 23 Game 4 "Five candidates for mayor..."

retaking23

Help: PrepTest 23 Game 4 "Five candidates for mayor..."

Postby retaking23 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I did this game and I got all the questions correct but I spent some extra time, to no avail, trying to figure out what exactly "No two candidates will speak in the same time slot as each other at any meeting" meant (so, I suppose it is more accurate to say I wasted some extra time). On my first reading, I thought this meant that if two candidates, say R and S, spoke first and second in meeting one, then they could not speak first and second, nor second and first in another meeting.

For question 19, I used the rules to eliminate choices a, b, c and e, circled d and was gonna move on but then I wasted some more time when I noticed that R and S (in choice D), had the same two time slots in meeting 1 and 2. Likewise R and S's positions are swapped in meetings two and 3. Isn't this what the aforementioned bit in the stimulus was forbidding? Obviously not but now I'm even more confused.

Can someone tell me what exactly this part of the stimulus is forbidding. I'm a little brain dead today and I don't want to move on from this game thinking I got all the questions right 'cuz I got lucky somewhere.

Thanks!

CardozoLaw09

Re: Help: PrepTest 23 Game 4 "Five candidates for mayor..."

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 pm

It just means that two people can't occupy the same time slot; meaning there's a 1 to 1 relationship between the time slot and candidate. What's being forbidden, for example, is R and S from both being in the same time slot at any of the meetings.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:48 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:It just means that two people can't occupy the same time slot; meaning there's a 1 to 1 relationship between the time slot and candidate. What's being forbidden, for example, is R and S from both being in the same time slot at any of the meetings.

19) D (<-- correct answer)

meeting 1: TRSUQ
meeting 2: QRSTU
meeting 3: USRQT

R and S are second and third, respectively, in two meetings here...

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 pm

retaking23 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:It just means that two people can't occupy the same time slot; meaning there's a 1 to 1 relationship between the time slot and candidate. What's being forbidden, for example, is R and S from both being in the same time slot at any of the meetings.

They're two different meetings so it's allowed. R and S couldn't both be 2nd (or any other time slot) at any of the meetings - that's what's being forbidden in the stim.

retaking23

Postby retaking23 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:38 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
retaking23 wrote:

They're two different meetings so it's allowed. R and S couldn't both be 2nd (or any other time slot) at any of the meetings - that's what's being forbidden in the stim.

Ah, that clears it up. Now I feel at peace with this game. Much obliged.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”