is this essentially the way a lot of you guys are studying?

flash21

is this essentially the way a lot of you guys are studying?

Postby flash21 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:50 pm

drilling lg hard, till you get -0 or pretty damn close

read some sort of LR book , memorize rules / conditionals/ types of questions, and then drill to learn how to apply this knoweldge

rc - maybe read some articles , find what the main point is, and what supports it (premises? )

this is very basic, but hopefully you guys know what i mean

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: is this essentially the way a lot of you guys are studying?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:51 pm

flash21 wrote:drilling lg hard, till you get -0 or pretty damn close

read some sort of LR book , memorize rules / conditionals/ types of questions, and then drill to learn how to apply this knoweldge

rc - maybe read some articles , find what the main point is, and what supports it (premises? )

With RC, there is no point in doing anything other than legit RC passages. There are nearly 300; there's no reason to turn to fake material until you've completed them all.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

With RC, there is no point in doing anything other than legit RC passages. There are nearly 300; there's no reason to turn to fake material until you've completed them all.

ok. i havent done much toward RC to be honest. what do you think of the rest of the post, though?

steel_shot

Postby steel_shot » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree for actual studying, but what seemed to help me a lot was reading books/magazines in my spare time, although not in place of actually studying RC.

If you're going to do this though, read somewhat difficult books and magazines. Like The Economist or Scientific American is good. Russian literature has tonnes of characters so it may help you a little with remembering from the passage, but that's shaky at best.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:01 pm

steel_shot wrote:

I agree for actual studying, but what seemed to help me a lot was reading books/magazines in my spare time, although not in place of actually studying RC.

If you're going to do this though, read somewhat difficult books and magazines. Like The Economist or Scientific American is good. Russian literature has tonnes of characters so it may help you a little with remembering from the passage, but that's shaky at best.

Okay, I think I'll probably just stick to the actual passages found on the LSAT. I've got a philosophy course this summer, so the articles I read for that I'll count toward extra RC training

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:43 pm

flash21 wrote:
steel_shot wrote:

Okay, I think I'll probably just stick to the actual passages found on the LSAT. I've got a philosophy course this summer, so the articles I read for that I'll count toward extra RC training

I majored in philosophy, and I enjoy getting philosophy-related passages in RC. I'm pretty sure I finish them at a disproportionately fast time. So while familiarity with passage content is by no means necessary to do well (otherwise, how would most people succeed at the dense science passages?), it can help a lot.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”